Western Values: Rescuing DOG "refugees" in Turkey but not humans

Scroll to see replies

Original post by queen-bee
Beirut

Believable.

Damascus

Erm, have you been watching the news for the last five years or so? :erm:

Amman etc

I'm unsure about this because the Jordanian ruling family is quite progressive by Middle Eastern standards, but I'm sure there's a limit to what can be worn, even in a relatively progressive city like Amman, given local attitudes.
Original post by Hydeman
Believable.

Erm, have you been watching the news for the last five years or so? :erm:

I'm unsure about this because the Jordanian ruling family is quite progressive by Middle Eastern standards, but I'm sure there's a limit to what can be worn, even in a relatively progressive city like Amman, given local attitudes.

I'm talking about Syria before the uprising
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Your mum grew up in a Western society. I'm talking about girls who were born and raised in the Middle East.

Look it up yourself,women in the Middle East are discouraged from going out at night because of the fear of being raped and assaulted. That's got to do with culture obviously.
In Arab cultures,most of the time, women are advised to cover up.

You can't deny though, Arab countries are a terrible place if you're a woman.

Chill out with the generalisations. Whilst this may be true for some countries in the Middle East, it certainly isn't the case for all. I'm from Lebanon, and can tell you that I've never once been forced or 'advised' to cover up. If you go to Lebanon you could see a woman in shorts and a crop top walking along side somone in a niqab. Women go to clubs,wear bikinis on the beach etc..it's really not a big deal. I'm not saying it's a perfect country for women,it's definitely not,but not because of the reasons you listed. Other countries like Jordan and Syria(pre civil war) are similar.
Reply 83
Once again, some members of The Student Room have demonstrated themselves to be irrational psychopaths on this thread. There are some good arguments in favour of not taking too many refugees, but some of the arguments seen on this thread are ridiculous.

Original post by The Epicurean

This is a niche charity that seems rather odd to me if I am honest. The only individuals the charity assists are specifically golden retrievers. That said, this has nothing to do with Western, humanitarian or liberal values and to act like it does is absurd. But, I do think that the existence of such niche charities is something that is worth discussing and so I will discuss this.

There is a western humanitarian practice called "Effective Altruism" and the philosopher Peter Singer has written a great book on the topic. Basically it talks about how best to donate money to charity. The fact is that a lot of people don't really understand how they can most effectively spend their money in charitable ways. For example, many people will see adverts on the TV saying how if you donate so much every month, you can help to train a guide dog to help the blind. It sounds like a great charity, does it not? But Peter Singer raises an interesting point:

But the fact is, even if we did make more informed decisions and found out the most productive use of our charitable money, it most likely would not be best spent helping Syrian refugees. Money is a scarce resource and if we are to use that money to save the most lives, our money would probably be best spent donating to a charity that gives mosquito nets to poor people. Ultimately, this is a very difficult issue, and there is no simple answer.

Good post! Although, it should be noted that effective altruists differ on which cause area to prioritise. Pertinent to this thread is the fact that many effective altruists believe that animal welfare is the most important cause-area due to the scale of the suffering being inflicted on non-human animals on factory farms, for instance. Obviously, a niche charity for dogs would not be as cost-effective as charities recommended by Animal Charity Evaluators, for example.

I'd also say that whilst effective altruism originated in the West, it's not, of course, an exclusively Western endeavour, just as the original poster is wrong to state that prioritising dogs over people is exclusively Western.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by childofthesun
Chill out with the generalisations. Whilst this may be true for some countries in the Middle East, it certainly isn't the case for all. I'm from Lebanon, and can tell you that I've never once been forced or 'advised' to cover up. If you go to Lebanon you could see a woman in shorts and a crop top walking along side somone in a niqab. Women go to clubs,wear bikinis on the beach etc..it's really not a big deal. I'm not saying it's a perfect country for women,it's definitely not,but not because of the reasons you listed. Other countries like Jordan and Syria(pre civil war) are similar.

Amen amen amen. Same goes for Syria before this uprising and Jordan
Amen amen amen. Same goes for Syria before this uprising and Jordan

Wallah Syria was so beautiful! It makes me so sad seeing what's happening now :frown:
Wallah Syria was so beautiful! It makes me so sad seeing what's happening now :frown:

Interesting opinion for somebody whose country was subject to a 30-year Syrian occupation, at least some of which was illegal. I would've expected more resentment. :holmes:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Foo.mp3
Beirut

Spoiler

Damascus

Spoiler

Amman

Spoiler

So all hear women represent these countries as a whole. Why are you only showing women who are wearing a headacarf? I used to walk around wearing a mini dress and never have I once been scared of being raped. This is what I'm saying. Y'all need to go explore the world. Stop believing this hyped media nonsense

It was such a beautiful and popular tourist destination because of its rich cultural heritage. Wallah not a day goes by where I don't cry :frown:
Stop believing this hyped media nonsense

With respect, I think it is you who is hyping anything here. :wink:
Original post by Foo.mp3
I did a Google image search for 'group of women' + the place name and those images were the best representations I could find in a short space of time. If you know of more representative media then feel free to share it with us :smile:

Granted, some Arab cities are more liberal than others but you would do well to acknowledge that women are rarely completely free to dress as they please anywhere in the Arab world, and are oppressed across most of it :erm:

Like I've just said,in the cities that I've mention minus Damascus now,women are allowed to dress however they want . I could go to Lebanon right now and wear skimpy short and hold hand with some random Arab guy and nobody would give a damn. Been there and done that
Original post by Hydeman
With respect, I think it is you who is hyping anything here. :wink:

I need to awaken y'all
Original post by Hydeman
Interesting opinion for somebody whose country was subject to a 30-year Syrian occupation, at least some of which was illegal. I would've expected more resentment. :holmes:

Hahaha, I have no resentment towards Syrian people or Syria as a country-the government,perhaps. I'm sure you can guess the country to which all my resentment and hatred is directed :redface:
Original post by Knowing Smile
Turkey isn't at war

They're not refugees anymore if they're in Turkey

I mention this in every thread, but why should Turkey have to bear 2.6 million refugees when it's US, French, British, etc. planes dropping bombs over Syria?
Original post by Foo.mp3
Beirut

Spoiler

Damascus

Spoiler

Amman

Spoiler

Lool you had to scroll way down for that Beirut picture :lol:
I need to awaken y'all

Again, the opposite is more likely to be true. I've seen you repeatedly try to overstate the freedoms enjoyed by women in the Arab world on this thread, and you'd do well to take heed of Foo's replies.

The point being: no rational person is saying that somewhere like pre-civil war Syria was comparable to Saudi Arabia on women's rights, but you also need to stop exaggerating and explaining away any criticism of this as 'media' brainwashing.
I doubt that many of the people who are rescuing dogs from Turkey oppose the mass asylum movement. People who oppose the asylum seekers being allowed to come to Europe probably also think dog asylum is silly.
Original post by Hydeman
Again, the opposite is more likely to be true. I've seen you repeatedly try to overstate the freedoms enjoyed by women in the Arab world on this thread, and you'd do well to take heed of Foo's replies.

The point being: no rational person is saying that somewhere like pre-civil war Syria was comparable to Saudi Arabia on women's rights, but you also need to stop exaggerating and explaining away any criticism of this as 'media' brainwashing.

Who are you threatening?

I'm not exaggerating. Why does it hurt you so much knowing women do enjoy freedom to dress how they want in Lebanon or Amman or Damascus before this civil war

You can't awaken somebody who is part of Arab culture. You're someone looking from the outside,you only get an opinion and your opinions aren't facts
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by RamocitoMorales
I mention this in every thread, but why should Turkey have to bear 2.6 million refugees when it's US, French, British, etc. planes dropping bombs over Syria?

Because they're not leaving because of the Western bombs...

:facepalm:
Original post by Foo.mp3
Sorry but that's horseshit, there are codes of modesty/public decency

Unfortunately there isn't a wealth of decent media featuring more than 1 or 2 women in public in these places available, so aye, scrolling required

Sure there are but in said countries/country women wear whatever they want to some degree and that involves not wearing a headscarf and covering up completely or walking around with a male chaperone. That's it,you're going to Beirut with me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending