The Student Room Group

3 A-levels or 4

My first post so sorry if I do somthing wrong.

I am currently in year 12 doing my AS-levels (maths, further maths, chemistry and computer science) and was wondering if there is any point doing 4 AS subjects if we are going to drop one. I say this because my school has recommended that we drop a subject.

Its not that I cant perform in these subjects because in my mocks I got 4 A's but the computer science department at my new sixth form is a shambles and would like to drop it.

I have looked into some universities I would like to go to which include: Warwick, Durham, LSE, UCL and Imperial.

What's your guys take on it?
Just curious, what would you be applying for that would mean you're looking at both LSE and Imperial?
Reply 2
I'd most likely be applying for mathematics, I know LSE course is a mixture or maths and economics.
Are you sure you could tailor your personal statement to both? Because from what I've seen LSE is very particular on the focus in the PS for the course you are applying for
Reply 4
That's a good point you bring up, to ensure honest I had not thought about that and has made me think that LSE may not be the right choice
Original post by alfmeister
That's a good point you bring up, to ensure honest I had not thought about that and has made me think that LSE may not be the right choice

I think if you're focusing on maths, you should go for the big ones! Imperial and Warwick are outstanding
Reply 6
Posted from TSR Mobile

You make a good point, I'll definitely look into these unis more now. On the websites it only states 3 a levels are required so I'm thinking of dropping the 4th as
You can do, but I would advise consulting some others first just to confirm. @Zacken

I can't speak for maths, but certainly at Imperial for other courses, 4 subject offers are common, so it might be in your best interest to keep it
Reply 8
Okay thanks for you advice. My main concern is that I'm most likely going to drop to 3 subjects in year 13 and with a linear course is there any point

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay thanks for you advice. My main concern is that I'm most likely going to drop to 3 subjects in year 13 and with a linear course is there any point

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think the situation is very different with a linear course

@Muttley79 would be able to advise, I think
Reply 10
Original post by Student403
You can do, but I would advise consulting some others first just to confirm. @Zacken

I can't speak for maths, but certainly at Imperial for other courses, 4 subject offers are common, so it might be in your best interest to keep it

Posted from TSR Mobile

I applied with only three AS/A-Levels and got offers from Cambz, Warwick, Imperial and UCL. I know that Cambridge isn't really going to care about your fourth subject, nor will Warwick. Can't speak about the other two but if I managed an offer from Imperial, so should you.
Reply 11
LSE needs a fourth if you're doing further maths. The others are alright with 3.
Original post by Zacken
I applied with only three AS/A-Levels and got offers from Cambz, Warwick, Imperial and UCL. I know that Cambridge isn't really going to care about your fourth subject, nor will Warwick. Can't speak about the other two but if I managed an offer from Imperial, so should you.

wow what were your gcses
Reply 13
Thanks guys for the reply, if that's the case I'd more that likely drop the subject. Just out of interest what where your a level grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by malaikaxx
wow what were your gcses

Should be on my profile, but they were fairly average. I didn't have any AS's either.

I am currently in year 12 doing my AS-levels (maths, further maths, chemistry and computer science) and was wondering if there is any point doing 4 AS subjects if we are going to drop one. I say this because my school has recommended that we drop a subject.

Its not that I cant perform in these subjects because in my mocks I got 4 A's but the computer science department at my new sixth form is a shambles and would like to drop it.

I have looked into some universities I would like to go to which include: Warwick, Durham, LSE, UCL and Imperial.

Beware of some of the advice given by older students, purely because the A level system has changed for people like yourself in year 12 who are due to take Linear A levels in 2017. It would be best for you to research for yourself on UCAS making sure you type in the correct year in which you will start your course. Also you can order prospectuses from the Unis to read at home. LSE may indeed have needed 4 A levels for 2016 entry, but this may have changed for you. I am a teacher and our pupils are nearly all down to 3 A levels with many taking an EPQ. You will need to look carefully at the maths/FM issue and see if Unis count it as separate subjects or not. Warwick is well known for maths as is Imperial, all the Unis have threads for students, so you could look through the posts, lots has been said on the Imperial thread about people applying for maths. Remember it is quality not quantity that counts! Some Unis want STEP maths papers, so also look into this. Good luck.

Which degree are you thinking of?
Original post by Zacken
Should be on my profile, but they were fairly average. I didn't have any AS's either.

i think they were wayyy better than average - you live in Mauritius?
Reply 18
Thanks for the reply, so would you recommend that I do 3 a levels? I am thinking about doing step exams next year as quite a few unis want/recommend them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by malaikaxx
i think they were wayyy better than average - you live in Mauritius?

Thank you, but I know plenty people with better grades. Yeah, I live there, born there as well.

Thanks for the reply, so would you recommend that I do 3 a levels? I am thinking about doing step exams next year as quite a few unis want/recommend them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You'll need to decide whether you want to do STEP or not once your offers come in. I certainly would recommend three A-Levels.

Quick Reply

Latest