The Student Room Group

Western Values: Rescuing DOG "refugees" in Turkey but not humans

Scroll to see replies

Original post by queen-bee
Who are you threatening?

Nobody. :s-smilie: Where did you get 'threatening' from?

Why does it hurt you so much knowing women do enjoy freedom to dress how they want in Lebanon or Amman or Damascus before this civil war

It doesn't hurt me; I'd like nothing more than for that to be the case. The difference between us here is that only one of seems interested in seeing the distinction between what we would like to be the case and the reality.

You can't awaken somebody who is part of Arab culture. You're someone looking from the outside,you only get an opinion and your opinions aren't facts

Again, with all due respect, your claim to being part of 'Arab culture' is no stronger than my own, given that I grew up there, so let's stop the condescending, 'my opinion is indisputable fact because my grandparents were Syrian' tone of voice. You're as 'outside' as anyone else living in London with an ancestral claim to the region.
women wear whatever they want to some degree

This is a contradiction in terms. If it's 'to some degree', then it's not 'whatever they want.'
Original post by Hydeman
This is a contradiction in terms. If it's 'to some degree', then it's not 'whatever they want.'

They can mostly wear whatever they like. That's doesn't mean walking around naked. Just like girls here choose to wear mini skirts and short dresses and I'm 50% Syrian. Top quality babe :wink:
Original post by Foo.mp3
Sorry but that's horseshit, there are codes of modesty/public decency

Unfortunately there isn't a wealth of decent media featuring more than 1 or 2 women in public in these places available, so aye, scrolling required

Funny thing that. I also googled 'women in Beirut' and scrolled past numerous pictures of women in less than moderate clothing before coming to the one you picked out.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294005-i2872-k675664-What_do_women_wear_in_Lebanon-Beirut.html
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Polysexual Nymph
Because they're not leaving because of the Western bombs...

:facepalm:

The Western and Russian intervention(s) have only contributed to more devastation. Even irrespective of this, if Britain claims it will struggle to support and extra 200 refugees or whatever it is, how do you expect Turkey to support one thousand times that? Are these people not entitled a life that constitutes more than just being alive?... :sigh:
Original post by RamocitoMorales
The Western and Russian intervention(s) have only contributed to more devastation. Even irrespective of this, if Britain claims it will struggle to support and extra 200 refugees or whatever it is, how do you expect Turkey to support one thousand times that? Are these people not entitled a life that constitutes more than just being alive?... :sigh:

they are not leaving because of western bombs so pull the other one. the Turks are Muslims so they can ****ing look after them
I'm 50% Syrian.

I'm not sure it's possible to claim this, given that the parent through whom you claim to be 50 percent Syrian was born and raised in Europe. :tongue: If this was the logic applied by the U.S. Constitution, Bernie Sanders would be classified as fully Polish and therefore ineligible to be President of the United States.
Original post by EccentricDiamond
the Turks are Muslims so they can ****ing look after them

I see that Europe hasn't changed much in a thousand years. Even the Jews, who were persecuted in England, were forced to flee to the safe-haven of the Ottoman Empire. When will racist Europe ever change? :laugh:

Secondly, despite the religious similarities, the Turkish and Syrian people aren't so similar as you might think. For example, their languages are completely unintelligible with one another. I can assure you that the majority of Syrians have a greater grasp of the English language than Turkish.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Hydeman
I'm not sure it's possible to claim this, given that the parent through whom you claim to be 50 percent Syrian was born and raised in Europe. :tongue: If this was the logic applied by the U.S. Constitution, Bernie Sanders would be classified as fully Polish and therefore ineligible to be President of the United States.

He's fully Polish by ethnicity, and American by nationality? Not exactly complicated
Original post by RamocitoMorales
The Western and Russian intervention(s) have only contributed to more devastation.

Complete *******s. I won't comment on the Russian intervention, as this is irrelevant to your initial claim, but the Western intervention has done no such thing, and if you had a bone of honesty in your body you would admit this.

Are these people not entitled a life that constitutes more than just being alive?... :sigh:

No one is entitled to anything in life. Sad, but true.

Saying that, I would support the UK taking more refugees - as long as they were (i) directly affected by the conflict in Syria; and (ii) educated/otherwise skilled; and (iii) married with children or (iv) children (in this case (ii) does not apply - as they would have inherent potential for human capital).

There are tens of thousands of such people, and Britain could easily absorb such numbers of refugees that would have the best chance of positively contributing to British society and providing them an opportunity to rebuild their lives.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Cato the Elder
You aren't a Christian, you're a pan-Arab fascist who is obsessed with defending Islam.

Reported :smile:

Feel free to join me in church every Sunday.
Original post by Hydeman

It really depends on how one sees themselves I guess
Reported :smile:

Feel free to join me in church every Sunday.

No thanks, a church like yours is the last place I'd be seen...

And reporting me for exposing your beliefs? LOL, proof you've lost the argument.
Original post by Foo.mp3
This was never my contention:mute:

Am I ****! :laugh:

Ok, so I just googled what you said and these are the images that feature in the first 3 rows that are pretty clearly of women in public:

Spoiler

Well I'm going so you're welcome to come with me :smile:
Original post by childofthesun
He's fully Polish by ethnicity, and American by nationality? Not exactly complicated

He's Jewish. He speaks no Polish, nor does he participate in any other culture other than American culture, as far as he has made the public aware about these matters.

The comparison here would be if Sanders suddenly decided that, because his parents were Polish, his opinion on everything to do with Poland should be ascribed a higher weight than the opinions of 'outsiders.' :beard:
Original post by Cato the Elder
No thanks, a church like yours is the last place I'd be seen...

And reporting me for exposing your beliefs? LOL, proof you've lost the argument.

There's no argument to be had. You seem to be angry which goes to show you're very hot and bothered and go on to call me a fascist like the troll that you are. You don't know me for you to be exposing my 'beliefs'
Well I'm going so you're welcome to come with me :smile:

Who's paying? :holmes:
Original post by Polysexual Nymph
but the Western intervention has done no such thing, and if you had a bone of honesty in your body you would admit this.

Tell me then, what is the Western intervention contributing too? Whenever they aid the YPG/J, the folly on the ground proceed to evict the Arab populace and raze their villages in what Amnesty International has described as 'war crimes' (look it up for yourself). Or how about the reports of the US airstrikes which target populated areas (because let's face it, it's a common guerrilla tactic who hide among the populace) which has reportedly killed nearly 500 civilians (again, look it up for yourself).

Polysexual Nymph
No one is entitled to anything in life. Sad, but true.

You say this as you drink wine from your ivory chalice. :laugh:

Polysexual Nymph
Saying that, I would support the UK taking more refugees - as long as they were (i) directly affected by the conflict in Syria; and (ii) educated/otherwise skilled; and (iii) married with children or (iv) children

Too bad the UK is not even doing that.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Hydeman
Who's paying? :holmes:

Moi :h:
Original post by Hydeman
He's Jewish. He speaks no Polish, nor does he participate in any other culture other than American culture, as far as he has made the public aware about these matters.

The comparison here would be if Sanders suddenly decided that, because his parents were Polish, his opinion on everything to do with Poland should be ascribed a higher weight than the opinions of 'outsiders.' :beard:

Jewish then. I view ethnicity and nationality as two separate things. Even if like you said he has only ever participated in American culture, that doesn't change the fact that he's still ethnically a Polish Jewish(or just Jewish idk)

That wasn't your initial point though. You were arguing that even though QB's mother was Syrian,because she grew up in Europe, QB couldn't identify as half Syrian.
(Although I do understand the point you're trying to make now)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending