The Student Room Group

University Doubts

Poll

University or Gap Year?

Hello :smile:

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong thread but I feel it could fit into a couple.

Basically I've applied to uni, chosen my firm and everything. But now my family are asking me so many questions that are making me doubt myself so much. To be honest I was doubting myself before but they are just making me feel worse. Despite university always being my dream, I'm doubting my course choice so much and other things are happening that are suddenly making me wonder if I'm ready. I keep thinking I need time. Time to think things over before doing anything, to 'recover' from 3 years of A-Levels. To have a year when I'm not expected to do any exams.

But to even think about taking a gap year - I know with UCAS it'd be a fairly simple case of phoning up the universities/UCAS and asking them to change the date - I'd need to go to my family and my tutor at college with a complete plan of what I was going to do during the year and being able to answer any questions they have. Thing is, I have no clue what I want to do even after uni sooo... I'm kinda stuck between Politics, some kind of research job and advertising (that's completely new, only within the past month or so).

I guess my question is, university or gap year? and what should I do on my gap year, because I'm not going back to my parents after living in college accommodation for two years. Any help would be appreciated because this I feel like this is tearing me apart.

Thank you for any help :smile:
Why not look into some year long work placements? That may give you a better sense of what you want to do :smile:

http://www.studentladder.co.uk/ That is a good website, and http://www.investment2020.org.uk/ for finance jobs :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by acontium
Why not look into some year long work placements? That may give you a better sense of what you want to do :smile:

http://www.studentladder.co.uk/ That is a good website, and http://www.investment2020.org.uk/ for finance jobs :smile:

Thanks, I'll look through :smile: It really annoys me that most of the placements are finance/accounting or business though :frown:
I understand, but you can always reach out to specific sectors and you may get some experience :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by acontium
I understand, but you can always reach out to specific sectors and you may get some experience :smile:

Sorry if I sound thick but what do you mean by specific sectors? :frown:
So such as ones that aren't finance, you could look at politics, or sport idk! Just whatever interests you
Original post by emiloujess
Hello :smile:

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong thread but I feel it could fit into a couple.

Basically I've applied to uni, chosen my firm and everything. But now my family are asking me so many questions that are making me doubt myself so much. To be honest I was doubting myself before but they are just making me feel worse. Despite university always being my dream, I'm doubting my course choice so much and other things are happening that are suddenly making me wonder if I'm ready. I keep thinking I need time. Time to think things over before doing anything, to 'recover' from 3 years of A-Levels. To have a year when I'm not expected to do any exams.

But to even think about taking a gap year - I know with UCAS it'd be a fairly simple case of phoning up the universities/UCAS and asking them to change the date - I'd need to go to my family and my tutor at college with a complete plan of what I was going to do during the year and being able to answer any questions they have. Thing is, I have no clue what I want to do even after uni sooo... I'm kinda stuck between Politics, some kind of research job and advertising (that's completely new, only within the past month or so).

I guess my question is, university or gap year? and what should I do on my gap year, because I'm not going back to my parents after living in college accommodation for two years. Any help would be appreciated because this I feel like this is tearing me apart.

Thank you for any help :smile:

Well, I guess first of all is the obvious thing. You need a proper plan. Everyone says it but I don't think I realized how important it was until I found myself on an unintentional gap year. I didn't have a plan - at all. I quickly found that my friends had gone off to their different unis, my travel plans quickly fell down due to lack of funds and inability to find a job in my area and I basically started having a huge meltdown as I watched every part of my routine and life just go 'poof' into thin air. 2 years later, I started at a really good uni on a course I love. I'm happy. It all came right in the end. But it was bloody hard, the time I had off. I, exactly like you, said those same words; "I want time off from education". But I hated my time off.

However. If I hadn't have had that time I no doubt would have spent funding on a course that turned out to be wrong for me in the end. The dreams I had when I was 18 were not the dreams I had when I was 20. You really should get your course choice right, so many of my friends regret rushing into it.

So here's my honest answer.

Sit down with yourself, alone and have a real good, hard look at yourself. Bear in mind that there are a lot of people - friends, family who will advise you, tell you what to do, where to go, what's best for you - but ultimately you're the only person who knows. Even my mum - who is one of the most intuitive people ever - turned out to be wrong several times on what was best for me. I had to make my own choices. You should too.

So, what I'm trying to say in a really rambly way is that, figure out a way forward that makes you feel good, positive, excited. Once you've decided on it, stick to it, foolproof it, figure out the options.
If you decide to go travelling, check your finances, check the reality of the situation, be honest about whether you could do it, where you'd go, who with - if anyone, how long for, don't be blurry. Plan.
Have a look into apprenticeships - they're really underrated, a lot of people much prefer them to university and they provide an actual trade that often gives you a job for life; ie, electrician, hairdresser, plumber.
Know that your life will change hugely in a gap year, friends change, everything moves forward and you can too but it's different. Roll with it.

Also, a key thing, and I've only realised it lately. Don't take it all too seriously. Everyone puts everyone else under a whole bunch of unnecessary pressure when really it's pretty simple. You need to work to get money because you need money to live. That's the equation. Outside of that you can do whatever the hell you want. But that work should be something you love or are interested in. You can change your mind a thousand times. I have. I still do. But you have to keep moving. If it feels right, do it.

I needed 2 years to figure me out. In that time I was a bit of a bum, I took acting classes part-time, did a teaching assistant qualification and went from wanting to be an actress to a veterinary nurse to a human nurse to a receptionist to an occupational therapist... I had a thousand ideas and I felt overwhelmed by the possibility of it all. Eventually though, I realised I already knew what I wanted. I want to write stories, screenplays. Which is what comes naturally to me. I want to work with kids, - so I got my qualification as a T.A and I wanted to go to uni.. and I did, I'm in 2nd year now; English with Creative Writing.

I know what I'm doing now, the path I'm on, and I know it's the right one. I wish I'd planned my time out better, but either way, it worked out well. I live with my boyfriend too, who is basically the world's best human, and I would never have met him if I'd gone straight to uni from college. weird.

This is by no means perfect advice, it's a whole lot of rambling and I am tired.. but it's my experience, take what you will from it.
Reply 7
Any other advice? :smile:
Research research research!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending