The Student Room Group

Help with physics projectile motion question ?

Hi i need help on this question, I was fine with SUVAT equations but ever since we have started projectiles I literally do not know what I'm doing and I need help thank you so much :smile:

A ball was projected horizontally at a speed of 0.52ms^-1 across the top of an inclined board of width 600mm and length 1200mm. It reached the bottom of the board 0.9s later, Calculate:

a) the distance travelled by the ball across the board

b) its acceleration on the board

c) its speed at the bottom of the board

I know other people have posted this question on TSR however they knew the answer to (a) I can't work out the answer to that please help me :smile:

I really appreciate your time for trying to help me understand this thanks :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Cinna21

A ball was projected horizontally at a speed of 0.52ms^-1 across the top of an inclined board of width 600mm and length 1200mm. It reached the bottom of the board 0.9s later, Calculate:

The question (as you have written it) makes no sense.

Is this the full question exactly as stated or have you changed it and left out some information?
Reply 2
Original post by uberteknik
The question (as you have written it) makes no sense.

Is this the full question exactly as stated or have you changed it and left out some information?

Actually I've written it incorrectly ill update it now, Ok sorry about that I typed the question up too quickly out of frustration , Please help me Thank you :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Projectile questions require resolving velocities and acceleration into components so make sure you're solid at that.

in this question you've got an object with a constant horizontal component of velocity of 0.52 m/s and it is in motion for 0.9 seconds... you're asked to find is it's final horizontal displacement?

i.e. how far does something travel if it moves for 0.9 seconds at a constant velocity of 0.52 m/s
Reply 4
Original post by Joinedup
Projectile questions require resolving velocities and acceleration into components so make sure you're solid at that.

in this question you've got an object with a constant horizontal component of velocity of 0.52 m/s and it is in motion for 0.9 seconds... you're asked to find is it's final horizontal displacement?

i.e. how far does something travel if it moves for 0.9 seconds at a constant velocity of 0.52 m/s

Hi could you give me more clues for all the questions, I'm still not getting anywhere I've solved the other questions in my text book but I still can't solve this one, I know the curves parabolic but I still don't understand this, Thanks :smile:
Original post by Cinna21
Hi could you give me more clues for all the questions, I'm still not getting anywhere I've solved the other questions in my text book but I still can't solve this one, I know the curves parabolic but I still don't understand this, Thanks :smile:

I don't think I fully understand the question and tbh I think it's cos the question is borked - which way is length and which way is width? is there a diagram?

also having a ball complicates things because a rolling ball picks up angular momentum when it accelerates - usually you'll get asked about a particle or a sliding puck for A level cos they don't roll.
You will need to split the motion into vertical motion (accelerating due to gravity) and horizontal motion (constant if there are no other forces).
Reply 7
Original post by Joinedup
I don't think I fully understand the question and tbh I think it's cos the question is borked - which way is length and which way is width? is there a diagram?

also having a ball complicates things because a rolling ball picks up angular momentum when it accelerates - usually you'll get asked about a particle or a sliding puck for A level cos they don't roll.

Its ok it turns out I just needed sleep I solved it really quickly today it was really easy, I don't know where my head was at yesterday.
Reply 8
Original post by Science_Girl
You will need to split the motion into vertical motion (accelerating due to gravity) and horizontal motion (constant if there are no other forces).

I've already worked the answers out but thank you so much for trying to help me I appreciate it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest