The Student Room Group

Struggles of A2 French

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rileystringer1
hjkvjg

Whats wrong? Also r u doing the exam?
Original post by FrenchUnicorn
Hello :smile:

Après avoir abordé les raisons principales de vouloir recommander Un Sac de Billes par Joseph Joffo à un ami, il est impossible de nier la qualité de son ouvrage. Je trouve ce livre absolument intéressant bien que je sache très peu de choses de la Deuxième Guerre Mondiale. La teneur de ce livre, les messages cachés, et l'utilisation de l'humeur et la description, sont un ensemble qui rendent ce livre particulièrement unique. Joseph Joffo nous met à sa place pendant l'Holocauste, mais on ne devrait plus s'inquiéter puisqu'elle ne se répète pas, n'est-ce pas ?

One thing, when you said "va-t-il" that's not correct because in french when we want to say stuff like "isn't it " etc, you only have to say "n'est-ce pas" :smile:
And "mettre dans ses chaussures" is not really correct, just say -> mettre à sa place

That was a really good conclusion tho ! :wink:

Thanks very much :smile:
Original post by GeologyMaths
Thanks very much :smile:

You're very welcome :wink:
You're very welcome :wink:

Hiya :smile:

Are these two sentences the same?

Il était arrêté par les gendarmes
Il se fait arreter par les gendarmes
Hiya :smile:

Are these two sentences the same?

Il était arrêté par les gendarmes
Il se fait arreter par les gendarmes

Hey :smile:

Not really ,
Il était arrêté par les gendarmes -> he has been arrested by the cops
Il se fait arrêter par les gendarmes -> he's arrested by the cops
(That's not really that exact sense but since there is no a better way to translate it I do my best to let you understand ^^)
I think you might think about this sentence ? :
Il S'EST FAIT arrêté par les gendarmes
Which is the same as -> il était arrêté par les gendarmes
Get it ? :h:

Not really ,
(That's not really that exact sense but since there is no a better way to translate it I do my best to let you understand ^^)

Thanks very much xxxxxxx :smile:

YW :h:

Not really ,

I would say that if you say "Il s'est fait arrêter", it conveys the meaning that "he got himself stopped", i.e. there is an emphasis on the fact that he has done something. Whereas saying "il était arrêté", in my opinion, is just vague and general and ambiguous?
I would say that if you say "Il s'est fait arrêter", it conveys the meaning that "he got himself stopped", i.e. there is an emphasis on the fact that he has done something. Whereas saying "il était arrêté", in my opinion, is just vague and general and ambiguous?

Actually "il était arrêté" sounds pretty false, that's TECHNICALLY correct but nobody would say that in real life
And thanks for the translation I could not really translate it myself ! :h:

How do i answer
"Analyzed l'image de la société qui est presentée dans le livre que vous avez étudié"?

I understand what it means but dont really know how to tackle it?
Actually "il était arrêté" sounds pretty false, that's TECHNICALLY correct but nobody would say that in real life
And thanks for the translation I could not really translate it myself ! :h:

Wep j'en suis d'accord. Mais si, tu aurais pu le traduire tout aussi bien que moi je te rassure :smile: For me it's just a guessing game after all

How do i answer
"Analyzed l'image de la société qui est presentée dans le livre que vous avez étudié"?

So in short, your question is: Analyse the image of society. So do just that :smile: Consider the historical context and things like race, socio-economic class, la famille et son importance/rôle, social integration/exclusion, marginalisation, social interactions, religion, beliefs and values, culture, traditions etc.

Tout ce qui est "la société", analyse it, keeping in mind the historical and perhaps cultural context

When watching the film, just constantly be asking yourself "What does that say about the society in which the characters live?"
(edited 8 years ago)
Wep j'en suis d'accord. Mais si, tu aurais pu le traduire tout aussi bien que moi je te rassure :smile: For me it's just a guessing game after all

So in short, your question is: Analyse the image of society. So do just that :smile: Consider the historical context and things like race, socio-economic class, la famille et son importance/rôle, social integration/exclusion, marginalisation, social interactions, religion, beliefs and values, culture, traditions etc.

Tout ce qui est "la société", analyse it, keeping in mind the historical and perhaps cultural context

When watching the film, just constantly be asking yourself "What does that say about the society in which the characters live?"

Haha je sais pas y a des trucs que j'arrive pas à traduire des fois :P mais merci :h:
Et justement ton "guessing game" il est juste génial :lol:
Haha je sais pas y a des trucs que j'arrive pas à traduire des fois :P mais merci :h:
Et justement ton "guessing game" il est juste génial :lol:

je sais que le passé simple n'est guère utilisé, mais va-t-il mieux améliorer la qualité d'une dissertation? (sorry for bad french) :smile:
je sais que le passé simple n'est guère utilisé, mais va-t-il mieux améliorer la qualité d'une dissertation? (sorry for bad french) :smile:

That's not bad ! Your sentence is totally correct :wink:
But honestly le passé simple is only used in books, I don't think it's a good thing for an essay :smile:
Use le présent, or l'imparfait, but not le passé simple :wink:

How do i answer

Sorry for randomly butting in ahahah are you doing this for sac de billes? I've done it and got like 37/40 i think? can fish the essay out if you want :smile:
Original post by eleanor27
Sorry for randomly butting in ahahah are you doing this for sac de billes? I've done it and got like 37/40 i think? can fish the essay out if you want :smile:

Yes please :smile: just need guidiance. I've done some ones also if you want to work together
Yes please :smile: just need guidiance. I've done some ones also if you want to work together

that could be a very good idea! The essays my class have done so far are:
1: analysez les facteurs qui motivent les actions des personnages principaux dans le livre. Dans quelle mesure est-ce que ces personnages sont poussés par les mêmes motivations?
2: Analysez l'image de la société qui est présentée dans le livre?
3: analysez le développement de deux thèmes différents dans le livre. A votre avis lequel de ces thèmes est le plus important?
4: one about 'les messages principaux' don't have the exact title...

shall post my society structure now :smile:
IMG_7397.jpg

this is the sheet we were given to plan with :smile: we were told to score highly you had to talk about the good and the bad of society :smile:
Original post by eleanor27
IMG_7397.jpg

this is the sheet we were given to plan with :smile: we were told to score highly you had to talk about the good and the bad of society :smile:

That's a really good :smile: thanks

How are you finding the other parts of the course :smile:
That's a really good :smile: thanks

How are you finding the other parts of the course :smile:

translation is my biggest worry as its so unpredictable and not knowing one specific word can lose you so many marks!!
Absolutely love the oral exam- they're so much fun :biggrin:
Topic and book are great but we also do the film Jean de Florette which i hate to be honest ahahah
what about you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending