The Student Room Group

DofE Silver expedition-

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Andy98
Anzac??? Great Scott! I didn't know they still existed!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's exactly what my instructor said! I drizzled them in chocolate as well . . . Mmm . . .

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Original post by Edminzodo
That's exactly what my instructor said! I drizzled them in chocolate as well . . . Mmm . . .

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know! We used to get them in rat packs occasionally at cadets

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andy98
I know! We used to get them in rat packs occasionally at cadets

Posted from TSR Mobile

I never did cadets. That's cool! Most people have never heard of them to be honest. :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Original post by Edminzodo
I never did cadets. That's cool! Most people have never heard of them to be honest. :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha yeah, even my grandad can't remember them

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andy98
Cause they always cheered us up:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

aww:h: I remember thinking of ideas for our project cheered us up! It went from a mnemonic poem trailer for d of e:
Teamwork
Orientation
Rucksacks
Training
U will get tired
Rain
Enjoy!
We were pretty exhausted by that point though:biggrin:

But then it went to a more positive note to making an epic film saga of me battling stinging nettles (aimlessly hitting them with a stick!)
Reply 25
Original post by FabulouslyAwks
aww:h: I remember thinking of ideas for our project cheered us up! It went from a mnemonic poem trailer for d of e:
Teamwork
Orientation
Rucksacks
Training
U will get tired
Rain
Enjoy!
We were pretty exhausted by that point though:biggrin:

But then it went to a more positive note to making an epic film saga of me battling stinging nettles (aimlessly hitting them with a stick!)

Hahaha!
The letters make me think of PT at cadets (Physical Training/Torture)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Chocolate, you seriously can never go wrong with chocolate.

Cereal bars as well.

You can get camping meals which are seriously nice and so simply to cook.

Soup packets.

As someone said earlier Sausages and Bacon. There is nothing more heavenly.
Chocolate is good for the spirits in winter but no good in summer - nuts and dried fruit very handy as both snacks and emergency food, though there is no harm in having a bar tucked away in the bag. Chocolate biscuits can be a good morale boost too - if you have it in your head that you can't have it until a certain time it can give you something to work towards.
Pasta with some kind of sauce +/ rehydrated dried veg best bet for dinners - or if you want to go down the line of super noodles allow at least 2 packets for 1 meal.
Custard useful for a warm pudding before crawling into the sleeping bag (as in just add hot water instant custard, or make a custard powder mix with sugar and dried milk added before you go).
Sandwiches/wraps/pittas do for lunch +/- fruit, crisps, cereal bar. Or the good old cheese and oatcakes (cheese sweats if it is hot weather though).
Porridge or multiple cereal bars for breakfast. Make sure with cereal bars you go for high energy ones not weight loss orientated bars!
Hard boiled sweets to suck when going gets tough - e.g. rhubarb and custards.
(edited 8 years ago)
Under no circumstances should you take pot noodles. They contain so little calories that you actually use more energy making them up than you actually get from them. My DofE centre actually band them from expeditions. As I read somewhere else here, boil in the bag meals are your best friend. Also try and have something cold for lunch because having to light a trangea in the middle of the day is hell. Hope you can take something useful from this! Oh and PLEASE DO NOT FORGET EMERGENCY RATIONS. If your assessor asks to see them and you don't have any you will be disqualified. Again a boil in the bag meal is best because it is quick, provides energy and helps someone recover from hypothermia.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Original post by Ddraigdwr2
Under no circumstances should you take pot noodles. They contain so little calories that you actually use more energy making them up than you actually get from them. My DofE centre actually band them from expeditions. As I read somewhere else here, boil in the bag meals are your best friend. Also try and have something cold for lunch because having to light a trangea in the middle of the day is hell. Hope you can take something useful from this! Oh and PLEASE DO NOT FORGET EMERGENCY RATIONS. If your assessor asks to see them and you don't have any you will be disqualified. Again a boil in the bag meal is best because it is quick, provides energy and helps someone recover from hypothermia.

Posted from TSR Mobile

We had a Kendal mint bar for emergency rations on bronze

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andy98
Hahaha!
The letters make me think of PT at cadets (Physical Training/Torture)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yep training is just a cover up word, but d of e was a bit torturous for me, I was so unfit , after the first hill I was like "can. T go an- Y further " and my team mates were like only 10 more miles to go, yay:colonhash:
And our instructor fooled us into thinking the next car park was the final check point, turned out it wasn't. But apart from that it was pretty fun!
So do you do cadets?
Reply 31
Yep training is just a cover up word, but d of e was a bit torturous for me, I was so unfit , after the first hill I was like "can. T go an- Y further " and my team mates were like only 10 more miles to go, yay:colonhash:
And our instructor fooled us into thinking the next car park was the final check point, turned out it wasn't. But apart from that it was pretty fun!
So do you do cadets?

Hahaha awww

Yeah, I'm in Army Cadets. Granted we might have to change up the routine a bit soon

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andy98
Hahaha awww

Yeah, I'm in Army Cadets. Granted we might have to change up the routine a bit soon

Posted from TSR Mobile

So do you do lots of drills and stuff?
Reply 33
So do you do lots of drills and stuff?

Yeah, but recently with all the terrorism and stuff security has been getting tighter.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andy98
Yeah, but recently with all the terrorism and stuff security has been getting tighter.

Posted from TSR Mobile
is it kind of stressful?
Reply 35
is it kind of stressful?

Oh yes! Very stressful

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andy98
Oh yes! Very stressful

Posted from TSR Mobile
oh no:frown:, can you sneak in some moralijacks?! :biggrin:
Jelly cubes
I can't believe everyone here did proper dinners, I'm so impressed!:biggrin: My group all did dehydrated food to lose the excess weight/ because we're lazy lol. They were honestly not that bad and really filling too.

As for snacks, I really recommend bringing apples or other fresh fruit. Especially if you are going quite carb-heavy (which is a good thing for energy!) with bread, cereal bars, biscuits etc, it's really nice to have something refreshing that didn't come from a packet haha.

Also definitely bring a sugary drink such as Irn Bru or lucozade just as a pick me up, or some electrolite sachets to pour into your water bottle. The little robinson's squash squeezy bottle is also really lovely to share with your team.

Hope you have a good time and feel free to drop me any questions!

(anyone else doing their gold this easter btw? :s-smilie:)
Reply 39
oh no:frown:, can you sneak in some moralijacks?! :biggrin:

Of course:tongue:

Original post by elena2710
I can't believe everyone here did proper dinners, I'm so impressed!:biggrin: My group all did dehydrated food to lose the excess weight/ because we're lazy lol. They were honestly not that bad and really filling too.

As for snacks, I really recommend bringing apples or other fresh fruit. Especially if you are going quite carb-heavy (which is a good thing for energy!) with bread, cereal bars, biscuits etc, it's really nice to have something refreshing that didn't come from a packet haha.

Also definitely bring a sugary drink such as Irn Bru or lucozade just as a pick me up, or some electrolite sachets to pour into your water bottle. The little robinson's squash squeezy bottle is also really lovely to share with your team.

Hope you have a good time and feel free to drop me any questions!

(anyone else doing their gold this easter btw? :s-smilie:)

I am! Or at least the practice exped

We took the electrolyte sachets we'd collected from our ration packs!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending