The Student Room Group

Insomniacs, your sleep hygiene tips?

Been struggling to sleep the last few weeks. Immune system is taking a battering and it's affecting my gym work. Went for a 160kg deadlift just casually for one rep (not even close to my 1RM) and I couldn't even, to my surprise, break it off the ground.

I've got a cold now and a blocked nose. UGH.

Trying to create better night time environments for myself like no phone before bed, low light levels, no stimulation etc. Not working.

No sleep for MK
Reply 1
Original post by MountKimbie
Been struggling to sleep the last few weeks. Immune system is taking a battering and it's affecting my gym work. Went for a 160kg deadlift just casually for one rep (not even close to my 1RM) and I couldn't even, to my surprise, break it off the ground.

I've got a cold now and a blocked nose. UGH.

Trying to create better night time environments for myself like no phone before bed, low light levels, no stimulation etc. Not working.

No sleep for MK

Make your room temp cooler? 18 degrees C is good

I'd advise you to go to your doctor and ask for some sleeping pills, I got mine easily but you can't take them everyday as they're quite strong. There's one main type and they're just little pills. They help most nights, at least I no longer go to sleep at 4 am so:smile:
Original post by RonnieRJ
Make your room temp cooler? 18 degrees C is good

I'd advise you to go to your doctor and ask for some sleeping pills, I got mine easily but you can't take them everyday as they're quite strong. There's one main type and they're just little pills. They help most nights, at least I no longer go to sleep at 4 am so:smile:

My doctor has refused to give me any sleeping pills whilst I'm ill unfortunately. I have some valium a mate got from thailand but I try not to take those on a daily basis.

A cold room is the best solution, there is nothing better than a cold room at night.
Reply 3
My doctor has refused to give me any sleeping pills whilst I'm ill unfortunately. I have some valium a mate got from thailand but I try not to take those on a daily basis.

A cold room is the best solution, there is nothing better than a cold room at night.

Really??
Is that your GP or? Maybe if you manage to get a different doctor he'll give you a prescription? I was quite ill the last few weeks but I was given them straight away (my doctor thought my lack of sleep was even worse when I couldn't sleep bc blocked nose and everything).

Good luck with it anyway, hope you get better soon
Reply 4
Don't listen to music or do anything stimulating.
Don't eat certain foods (or drinks)
Don't sweat to death (make sure temperature is ok)

Do some light exercise
Original post by RonnieRJ
Really??
Is that your GP or? Maybe if you manage to get a different doctor he'll give you a prescription? I was quite ill the last few weeks but I was given them straight away (my doctor thought my lack of sleep was even worse when I couldn't sleep bc blocked nose and everything).

Good luck with it anyway, hope you get better soon

My GP yeah, she's really good and understanding but she believes that sleeping pills just isn't right for me and my circumstances. I have a blocked nose at the moment, I've taken some sudafed and ibuprofen.

I had insomnia for about a year and it really took it's toll on me. Things improved but every now and again I get bouts where I don't sleep for a few days.

I look terrible at the moment. Dark circles under my eyes, pale skin and fluctuating weight it's really bothering me.

Thanks Ronnie!
Try taking echinacea for your cold and immune system. Dose up on multi vitamins. Have a bath with some frankincense oil in it. Try inhaling menthol crystals (like vapour rub but more powerful) sometimes when I can't sleep because I work nights I look on YouTube for meditating/hypnosis sleeping music/sounds and they help me drift off :smile:
Reply 7
My GP yeah, she's really good and understanding but she believes that sleeping pills just isn't right for me and my circumstances. I have a blocked nose at the moment, I've taken some sudafed and ibuprofen.

I had insomnia for about a year and it really took it's toll on me. Things improved but every now and again I get bouts where I don't sleep for a few days.

I look terrible at the moment. Dark circles under my eyes, pale skin and fluctuating weight it's really bothering me.

Thanks Ronnie!

Ah I can imagine :/ do you like hot drinks like tea? Have some decaf tea before bed if you want, or maybe lemsip if you don't mind the taste. I find that a hot (not too hot though, just makes you sweat) drink helps me get to sleep.

Aw I feel for you, try to drink more water too and don't eat too late. My gp advised not eating later than 6-7.

and no problem :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest