The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

My place has women only and men only times, it also has Jewish men/women only times.

They're a business at the end of the day, one that has to cater for their clientèle. It's in their best interest.

Do I care necessarily? No, because I can only speak for my place, but on peak times these restrictions don't apply. Like weekends. It's mixed. These special interest times are usually in off-peak hours, when I have no interest in going.

So I suppose because it isn't MY problem, I think it's OK. As ignorant as that sounds, and is, that's how society is. People are very caught up in their dogma, unfortunately.
Yeah by definition it's sexist.
To say otherwise is flat out being a liar
It is but isn't.
Some women just don't feel comfortable with men (perhaps they have had something happen in their past) or because of religion.
Original post by RickmanAlways
It is but isn't.
Some women just don't feel comfortable with men (perhaps they have had something happen in their past) or because of religion.

But Sexism doesn't just exist or not depending on someone's comfort.
Original post by Gjaykay
But Sexism doesn't just exist or not depending on someone's comfort.

No it doesnt, but i am just saying why it is possibly a good idea....':/
No it doesnt, but i am just saying why it is possibly a good idea....':/

Segregation for the win, amirite?
Everyone has issues. Not just Women. And hell an argument could be made that due to Society and culture and all that ****, Men are MORE insecure over their looks and the opposite gender. Guys kill themselves everyday because of some Lassie, remember.
Original post by Gjaykay
Segregation for the win, amirite?
Everyone has issues. Not just Women. And hell an argument could be made that due to Society and culture and all that ****, Men are MORE insecure over their looks and the opposite gender. Guys kill themselves everyday because of some Lassie, remember.

Yeah i do get that, i am only refering to women as that WAS the question, wasn't it?
Yeah i do get that, i am only refering to women as that WAS the question, wasn't it?

Actually the Question was "Is this sexist to have a women only swimming times in swimming pools?"
Yeah, it's sexist. There's no other way to look at it without being sexist.
If you're discriminating against someone based on Gender, then that is what is referred to as "sexism".
moreyouknow.gif
Original post by Gjaykay
Actually the Question was "Is this sexist to have a women only swimming times in swimming pools?"
Yeah, it's sexist. There's no other way to look at it without being sexist.
If you're discriminating against someone based on Gender, then that is what is referred to as "sexism".
moreyouknow.gif

And i am using women as the example as it is the example i shall choose to use.
And i am using women as the example as it is the example i shall choose to use.

It is but isn't.

Bolded part is Sexism. Just because you justify your sexism doesn't make it right.
Sexism is bad.
Original post by Gjaykay
Bolded part is Sexism. Just because you justify your sexism doesn't make it right.
Sexism is bad.

It is i am not saying its good as i made clear in my first post
It is i am not saying its good as i made clear in my first post

????
You said it "is and isn't" sexist, which is a flat out lie.
Then you tried to Justify said Sexism by saying someone's uncomfortable or the may have religious reasons.
You're now saying it's not good after trying to justify it.
Like I said, Sexism isn't only there depending on someone's comfort.
Original post by Gjaykay
????
You said it "is and isn't" sexist, which is a flat out lie.
Then you tried to Justify said Sexism by saying someone's uncomfortable or the may have religious reasons.
You're now saying it's not good after trying to justify it.
Like I said, Sexism isn't only there depending on someone's comfort.

Really i am not going to try and justify myself cause honestly when talking online as Chris my hiking guide said- 'once its said it can be taken any way the person wants even if it wasnt meant to be offensive' why i say that is because it is harder to try and explain something online than it is to explain when face to face.
(Thanks Chris)

Regards
RickmanAlways
Really i am not going to try and justify myself cause honestly when talking online as Chris my hiking guide said- 'once its said it can be taken any way the person wants even if it wasnt meant to be offensive' why i say that is because it is harder to try and explain something online than it is to explain when face to face.
(Thanks Chris)

Regards
RickmanAlways

Right, but what you said was meant to cause offensive.
Otherwise there was no reason for you to be sexist and then try and justify it like you did.
Nice to see people on here wanting segregation and being sexist left and right. Must make you guys feel big, eh? :wink:
Original post by Gjaykay
Right, but what you said was meant to cause offensive.
Otherwise there was no reason for you to be sexist and then try and justify it like you did.
Nice to see people on here wanting segregation and being sexist left and right. Must make you guys feel big, eh? :wink:

Aha but no it was not meant to cause offence, that is EXACTLY what i mean! :smile:
Aha but no it was not meant to cause offence, that is EXACTLY what i mean! :smile:

You tried to justify Sexist behavior, saying didn't mean to cause offensive while being sexist is silly.
If I said something like "all black people are ugly" but then "oh, that wasn't meant to cause offensive, it's cool guys!" you think that's perfectly fine and acceptable? Of course not.
Man even still trying rather than saying "Oh, I'm sorry, I'll look more into Sexism so to better myself" you're saying "told ya you'd be offended by my offensive comments".

*sighs* Looks like this place hasn't changed at all.
Original post by Gjaykay
You tried to justify Sexist behavior, saying didn't mean to cause offensive while being sexist is silly.
If I said something like "all black people are ugly" but then "oh, that wasn't meant to cause offensive, it's cool guys!" you think that's perfectly fine and acceptable? Of course not.
Man even still trying rather than saying "Oh, I'm sorry, I'll look more into Sexism so to better myself" you're saying "told ya you'd be offended by my offensive comments".

*sighs* Looks like this place hasn't changed at all.

*grins* there should be more of people like you around, i would say @Louis. Is Gay Is like you but @Louis. Is Gay Just argues for the sake of it... :/
*grins* there should be more of people like you around, i would say @Louis. Is Gay Is like you but @Louis. Is Gay Just argues for the sake of it... :/

Yeah I dunno who that is or what any of that means.
Guessing it was meant to be an insult though, right?
Original post by Josb
So you generalise men because of the actions of a few?

How is it different from when some people say that Muslims are all terrorists/rapists/intolerant? - something that people like you are so keen to denounce.

Yes and I won't apologise because at the end of the day it is my safety. When I see things like this http://www.cosmopolitan.com/politics/news/a35207/study-one-in-three-men-would-rape-if-they-could/ and when I have men shouting sexual things at me, my teachers making sexual jokes, boys in my class making rape jokes, yes I will be scared. I won't say to every man that he is a rapist, however, I will try my best and be careful around them, and if that means requesting a women's hour then so be it. With Muslims, the thing is that the amount of terrorist attacks undertaken by muslims is so so so small <1% out of a muslim population of 1.6 billion. When 33% of college students in USA even if it is admittedly a small sample size of 73, say they would rape without consequence then yeah I will have to make generalisations. Just like you make a generalisation not to go downtown at night because all the drug dealers are out and they may rob you. I have never been a victim of a terrorist attack nor do I know anyone who has been. However, I know people who have been raped and sexually assaulted in other ways, just like myself.

It is different from the muslim thing also because: I can see and make up my own mind up about groups of people from what the media is telling me. I can SEE that every time a white boy shoots up a church or a school, he is said to have a mental disorder/an outcast. Every time a muslim does it, he is called a terrorist. I can SEE that every time a white man rapes hardly anything happens and the girl is blamed for what she is wearing. When a migrant rapes a girl, everyone focuses so much on the fact that the migrant is an animal and needs to be sent back.
Original post by Josb
You mean the taxpayer?

Urm, the consumer will also often pay taxes so I would say they are entitled to reap the benefits that those taxes brought.

Men, if you want men only sessions then demand it on its own merits. Do not do it just because women have it or don't try to get rid of women's hour.

Also sometimes sacrifices have to made in a society if everyone wants to be happy If they did have an extra pool then I would say open that one to the one gender but if they don't then c'est la vie and I would urge men to stand up for their swimming rights which is so so important to them.. or do they care more about making women more uncomfortable? hm we will never know.

Latest