The Student Room Group

Do You Like Russian Food / Drinks ?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Vlad83
That is interesting to hear !
And did you enjoy pierogi * ?

Did you eat and drink those in Russia .. or here in the UK .. or in any other country ?

* For other TSR users: pierogi means pies / or maybe cakes in Russian.

i had them here with a friend who was half russian and would love them again if i was sober as i was rather drunk at the time
Original post by Vlad83
Thank you very much for sharing your interesting experience and encounter with the Russian cuisine !
And thanks too for addressing the various parts of the OP.
Yes I guess Russian food and drinks could actually be considered exotic around the world and in the UK too ! Possibly with the exception of the other Slavic nations though.

Polish and Lithuanian foods are much more common in the UK because of their immigrant communities, but most British people will still never have eaten their foods before - I certainly haven't.

And did you ever experience Russian food before the visit to that restaurant you described ?

Only caviar, at a champagne bar, and maybe a couple of blinis once at a cultural food festival (I believe it was at the London Olympics).

And I hope that, on the whole, there is a considerable number of Russian restaurants or Russian food stores etc in Scotland. I am not really knowledgeable on that myself - even though I did visit your nice country once.
Which Russian dish that you ate at that restaurant did you like the most ?

Not many Russians come to the UK for some reason, you seem to mainly go to the USA. I've never met a Russian in Scotland at all, except the odd tourist.
Reply 22
Original post by jamesthehustler
i had them here with a friend who was half russian and would love them again if i was sober as i was rather drunk at the time

I see. Thanks for answering.
And I am pleased that you enjoyed pirogi and are very keen on them !
No not particularly. Firstly I don't eat meat which cuts out a HUGE number of russian dishes; far more than many other cuisines. And I can't stand vinegar and a lot of their dishes will have have one or more kind of pickle. Don't really like Kefir much, can't stand vodka.
Reply 24
Original post by XMaramena
No not particularly. Firstly I don't eat meat which cuts out a HUGE number of russian dishes; far more than many other cuisines. And I can't stand vinegar and a lot of their dishes will have have one or more kind of pickle. Don't really like Kefir much, can't stand vodka.

OK I see. I can appreciate this. And that is fine. To each their own, and various and opposing opinions are very much welcomed in this thread !
I think the Russian saying goes: " They do not argue about the taste ".
(Meaning about the taste in food. Every person is unique with individual preferences).
Thank you for your response and interesting observations, I think you are probably quite right.
You obviously seem to have quite a competent familiarity with the Russian cuisine and food, that is nice and I am pleased.
Me personally though, I do like vinegar and kefir too - since you mentioned those.
Nonetheless, who knows .. I hope you will still be able to find something in the Russian cuisine which will suit your individual requirements.
Reply 25
Original post by Copperknickers
Polish and Lithuanian foods are much more common in the UK because of their immigrant communities, but most British people will still never have eaten their foods before - I certainly haven't.

Only caviar, at a champagne bar, and maybe a couple of blinis once at a cultural food festival (I believe it was at the London Olympics).

Not many Russians come to the UK for some reason, you seem to mainly go to the USA. I've never met a Russian in Scotland at all, except the odd tourist.

Thank you for again for having addressed in your response the issues that I raised.
OK, that is very good. And you have tried Russian food before - and overall on more than one occasion ! Nice to know.
Yes I have definitely tried Polish food here in London because it is obviously sold in the UK, it is very good and - at least in my own opinion - it is delicious ! I am not too sure whether I experienced Lithuanian food here though. But I think I have eaten Lithuanian food in Moscow - Viola, the tasty spreadable cheese. It is probably Lithuanian I guess. I am not sure if there are Lithuanian food products or specifically Viola in food stores in the UK or London, but there could be. However just yesterday I saw some Lithuanian or maybe Latvian foods in a Russian food shop in London. And not too far from that shop, a couple of years ago there was a Bulgarian food shop too. Which I visited more than once and on occasions, I bought some food and maybe drinks from there - those were delicious too and I liked them. Sadly, that shop has closed down.
I think there could actually be Russian communities here in the UK too. No offence but I would disagree with some of what you said in the last paragraph of your response. Because - for example - in London if I am correct, there are approx. 300,000 Russians at the moment, and it seems that, 10 - 15 years ago, there were roughly 200,000 Russian people in London if I am not mistaken. I am not sure about other cities or regions of the UK in this regard.
But you did make good observations in your reply.
And you never know - you might actually meet some Russians there in Scotland too at some stage ! I wish you would - and would even have a chance to get to know them and to come into contact. And I wish you would get a chance to experience Polish or Lithuanian foods - and actually why not some other Eastern European cuisine in general too ?..
Except the odd tourist ! I guess that must have been me on my visit to Scotland in August 2001 !
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Vlad83
Sadly, that shop has closed down.
I think there could actually be Russian communities here in the UK too. No offence but I would disagree with some of what you said in the last paragraph of your response. Because - for example - in London if I am correct, there are approx. 300,000 Russians at the moment, and it seems that, 10 - 15 years ago, there were roughly 200,000 Russian people in London if I am not mistaken.

People of Russian descent, yes. There are only about 46,000 actual Russians in the UK. Many people of Russian descent are actually ethnic Russians from former Soviet countries such as Latvia, if I am not mistaken (and we also historically had a few thousand Jewish Russians). And the vast majority of Russians are in London.

And you never know - you might actually meet some Russians there in Scotland too at some stage ! I wish you would - and would even have a chance to get to know them and to come into contact.

I have met quite a few Russians, I studied Russian language as an extra-credit module during university and I attended some events at the Russian society there. One of my friends is Russian (well, Ukrainian, but grew up in Moscow and England).
Reply 27
Original post by Copperknickers
People of Russian descent, yes. There are only about 46,000 actual Russians in the UK. Many people of Russian descent are actually ethnic Russians from former Soviet countries such as Latvia, if I am not mistaken (and we also historically had a few thousand Jewish Russians). And the vast majority of Russians are in London.

I have met quite a few Russians, I studied Russian language as an extra-credit module during university and I attended some events at the Russian society there. One of my friends is Russian (well, Ukrainian, but grew up in Moscow and England).

Many thanks for that !
This is useful and interesting information which is good to know - and it does clarify some things for me. It is nice to see that you are knowledgeable and competent on the topic of the Russian ethnic groups and the Russian population statistics in the UK. And yes I agree that London has apparently the biggest concentration of the UK's Russian population.
Good to hear that you took an interest in Russian language and studied it and that you have had contact with the Russians and even have a friend from Russia of the Ukrainian origin !
[video="youtube;h1qboi5CDAA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1qboi5CDAA[/video]

Tasting Russian food without vodka is just wasting of time. :smile:
Reply 29
Original post by admonit
[video="youtube;h1qboi5CDAA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1qboi5CDAA[/video]

Tasting Russian food without vodka is just wasting of time. :smile:

If you do not mind (and no offence), I would disagree with that statement (unless it was a joke !).
However .. many - many thanks for that contribution and for having posted and shared that video in my thread - it is very interesting, nice to watch ! Appreciated.
Original post by Vlad83
If you do not mind (and no offence), I would disagree with that statement (unless it was a joke !).
However .. many - many thanks for that contribution and for having posted and shared that video in my thread - it is very interesting, nice to watch ! Appreciated.

Of course I don't mind (I admire the British politeness :smile:), of course you can disagree and of course it was a joke. :smile:
From the other hand there is a Russian saying: in every joke there is some truth..
I'm half russian and I like:
halva (not sure if strictly russian
russian bread
kvas

And im vegan so none of the dairy

but pelimeni with mushrooms has gotta be the fave
Reply 32
Original post by veganavb
I'm half russian and I like:
halva (not sure if strictly russian
russian bread
kvas

And im vegan so none of the dairy

but pelimeni with mushrooms has gotta be the fave

Brilliant !
And you are half Russian ? Wow, that is great, very interesting to hear !
And the emoticon that you put there - ah ha ha ha, LOL, nice one !
Many thanks for sharing your personal taste preferences with regard to Russian food / drinks.
As to halva, that is probably not strictly Russian - and actually may or may not be Russian at all, but I am just not sure. I guess it could be Arabic food in its origin, maybe Middle Eastern etc, I do not know. But I definitely saw it being sold here in a food store(s) in London (maybe it still is) and I bought it on one or more occasions. It is often sold in a Russian food shop in London too, by the way.
I do like those foods / drink myself too - halva, Russian bread, kvas .. and of course - pelmeni [dumplings] (most definitely !).
But I do not think I have ever eaten pelmeni with mushrooms (sorry I am not very keen on mushrooms in general).
Good to see another person knowledgeable on the Russian cuisine !
Original post by Vlad83
Brilliant !
And you are half Russian ? Wow, that is great, very interesting to hear !
And the emoticon that you put there - ah ha ha ha, LOL, nice one !
Many thanks for sharing your personal taste preferences with regard to Russian food / drinks.
As to halva, that is probably not strictly Russian - and actually may or may not be Russian at all, but I am just not sure. I guess it could be Arabic food in its origin, maybe Middle Eastern etc, I do not know. But I definitely saw it being sold here in a food store(s) in London (maybe it still is) and I bought it on one or more occasions. It is often sold in a Russian food shop in London too, by the way.
I do like those foods / drink myself too - halva, Russian bread, kvas .. and of course - pelmeni [dumplings] (most definitely !).
But I do not think I have ever eaten pelmeni with mushrooms (sorry I am not very keen on mushrooms in general).
Good to see another person knowledgeable on the Russian cuisine !

Haha your welcome! I also like most russian soups, and as someone else mentioned pirogi (potato and mushroom, i dont really like berry ones)
And yeah i regularly buy halva in london! Its pretty addictive.
Have you ever been to russia then?
Ah im seeing ur post about it...( sorry i dot want you to have to rewrite everything again)
Reply 35
Original post by admonit
Of course I don't mind (I admire the British politeness :smile:), of course you can disagree and of course it was a joke. :smile:
From the other hand there is a Russian saying: in every joke there is some truth..

He, he, really cool.
Thank you for your nice compliment, pleasant to hear ! You are nice and considerate.
Yes I did think it could be a joke actually !
And yes, yes I know this Russian proverb, definitely !
I am pleasantly surprised that you know it too - and I wonder how or where you heard it or read it !
Hi i've got a few questions

do you know the russian language?? And is russia just an interest for you or are you russian?
Reply 37
Haha your welcome! I also like most russian soups, and as someone else mentioned pirogi (potato and mushroom, i dont really like berry ones)
And yeah i regularly buy halva in london! Its pretty addictive.
Have you ever been to russia then?

Thanks for getting back.
Oh, even more Russian foods and dishes that you enjoy, that is great !
And you do know there is halva in London, and you often have the chance to buy it here and to visit the city - that is really good then. Yes sure - it could be addictive indeed, along with all the foods we like !
Yes of course, I have often been to Russia ! I am from Russia myself, I was born in Moscow but left with my family to relocate abroad at the age of 9 which was 23 and a half years ago. Since then, I visited on many occasions, usually in the summer, though it started to become less often after like .. 2001, and maybe even less often since 2009. But still ...
And you ? Have you been to Russia ? Moscow ?
Reply 38
Hi i've got a few questions

do you know the russian language?? And is russia just an interest for you or are you russian?

Sure ! Please feel free. I do understand and appreciate, thanks for your interest to know !
I do know Russian language indeed - it is my native one.
Both ! - Russia is definitely an interest for me and I am Russian.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Vlad83
And yes, yes I know this Russian proverb, definitely !
I am pleasantly surprised that you know it too - and I wonder how or where you heard it or read it !

In fact I too was surprised that you know it. :smile:
btw I'm not British.

Quick Reply

Latest