The Student Room Group

Any tips on how to revise for psychology

I struggle revising psychology, because i find it difficult to remember the names of different studies and also the advantages and disadvantages of each study. Any help would be appreciated :smile:
Original post by Gabbie_Skittles
I struggle revising psychology, because i find it difficult to remember the names of different studies and also the advantages and disadvantages of each study. Any help would be appreciated :smile:

Psychology is my fave subject, however when it comes to remembering the studies it can get real tricky! The way I tackled my struggle on how to revise them - I talked to friends and teachers. After getting advise from others I concluded that making mind maps on the studies is useful as you can stick them on your wall and glance at them. Also by making flash cards with the advantages and disadvantages. You can also put key findings and procedures on there. Test yourself with the cards or get a friend or family member to test you and eventually it will sink in.
Another tip is that you can record yourself speaking about the study and listen to it when you're on the bus or when you have spare time.
I personally find mind maps followed by an exam question most helpful but it depends what your preferred learning style is :smile:
Hope this helps - Nina :redface:
Original post by Misunderstood_08
Psychology is my fave subject, however when it comes to remembering the studies it can get real tricky! The way I tackled my struggle on how to revise them - I talked to friends and teachers. After getting advise from others I concluded that making mind maps on the studies is useful as you can stick them on your wall and glance at them. Also by making flash cards with the advantages and disadvantages. You can also put key findings and procedures on there. Test yourself with the cards or get a friend or family member to test you and eventually it will sink in.
Another tip is that you can record yourself speaking about the study and listen to it when you're on the bus or when you have spare time.
I personally find mind maps followed by an exam question most helpful but it depends what your preferred learning style is :smile:
Hope this helps - Nina :redface:

Thank you so much 😊 I will try that. I usually just revise from past papers and make notes which is not really helpfull 😅
Original post by Gabbie_Skittles
Thank you so much 😊 I will try that. I usually just revise from past papers and make notes which is not really helpfull 😅

Still do the past papers, I use a method my psychology teacher taught me and it is called 'Layering'. Basically split your revision into layers. When you come to revise do one topic at a time from each section. I don't know what exam board you do but I do WJEC. For example I would start with the unit Cognitive Psychology and then choose my topics as my layers so my first layer would be memory, then my second layer being perception and so on until I have finished the Unit in layers. Each unit will have about 3/4 layers so each time you come to revise take it one layer at a time and revise doing the activities I mentioned above but for key terms and so on and then do exam practice after you finish each topic so that you know exactly where you are up to :smile: My psychology teacher swears by this method and my class gets pretty good results from it, I hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest