The Student Room Group

Western Values: Rescuing DOG "refugees" in Turkey but not humans

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hydeman
I expect these are expats who like having a lot of money -- taxes in KSA are almost nil, petrol was cheaper than water (at least when I was there), water was itself pretty cheap (that may have changed since), and so on.

I'd love to see what these expats think of having almost no guarantee of being able to live there without work, though. In KSA, non-religious immigration is through a middle man (a sponsor) and dependent on whether you have work or not. If you don't, you can expect to be deported pretty quickly. Not to mention the lack of freedom of religion, which would be a big thing for you, for instance -- there are no churches in Saudi Arabia and even private services are forbidden.

No, I don't think I could. :redface:

oh wow. but what if people just decided to set up a little church group in their own house? i probably wouldn't last :tongue: what happens after their work contract ends?
Original post by queen-bee
To the rest of the world we are Arabs but we know we are Levantine.

It just means that you are lying to the rest of the world. :cool:

From the Palestinian National Charter

Article 1
Palestine is the homeland of the Arab Palestinian people; it is an indivisible part of the Arab homeland, and the Palestinian people are an integral part of the Arab nation.

It looks like today is not your day, my queen. :smile:
oh wow. but what if people just decided to set up a little church group in their own house?

They could get away with it as long as the religious police didn't find out. If they did, then you could probably expect a few arrests, Bible confiscations, etc.

i probably wouldn't last :tongue: what happens after their work contract ends?

Generally, that means you have to leave the country unless you can find another job. I don't quite know the details because I was only 13 when I left, but I did know people who changed jobs while living there, so I suppose it's not as automatic as I implied, but immigration is still very strict. You can't just go to KSA as a tourist.
This is ******** non story. Just because society have some people too poor to buy a salad, does not mean rich people have no right to enjoy their steak.

Plus, its not like European countries refuse to take in refugees!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Foo.mp3
You're half Italian and half Syrian e.g. half Latin (South European) and half Levantine (West European). You're practically wholly European but only English by birthright/the decree of the establishment, not by blood (yet :wink:)

Hard to argue with this tbh. They do rather think themselves the chosen people, and portions of their government see Arabs as little more than animals, which is terribly tragic :sad:

It’s the strong impression you give off at times honey, not explicitly but the perception is that it is implicit in some of your rhetoric. I know you’re more balanced than that really, personally, but others don’t have that intimate knowledge of you

That’s somewhat understandable, and your right, but the problem is that this reinforces the sense that your loyalty lies not with us

Spoiler

You have said you want to live in Arabia and that you want to stay in places like Syria (e.g. to help sort the country out) before now dear

This is true, up to a point (I would never accept fascism/Islamism/inhumanity in my life)

At’s my girl :smile:

Let’s not forget your friends, family, loved ones, and the legacy/sacrifices of past generations that we recognise, celebrate, and appreciate :yy:

Please don’t be so naive. They are less of a threat, today, but still a threat today, and arguably more of a threat tomorrow (many domestic terrorists/insurgents are not 1st gen immigrants who came as adults)

Look into the Syrian conflict and the role that women and children have played/are playing there, if you really don’t know. ISIS used a 4 year old to execute someone just the other day and a child suicide bomber killed 50 Kurds last year :erm:

Completely understand, just as it hurts all humanists, more broadly, to learn of human suffering

Well, the yanks are now talking about Syria being partitioned (only took them 5 years to come to the same sensible conclusion as the rest of us), so you never know, perhaps one day there will be (lasting) peace

True enough, tis a rare privilege :u:

Miss Syria would be cool, as a sort of positive cultural pride/prestige thing, but otherwise methinks it’s just a tad objectifying/feeding unhealthy presentation-obsessed youth culture

1) It’s not really for me to comment on blanket relativistic comparisons

2) It’s unhelpful, and often unkind/insensitive to draw such comparisons

3) Whatever one may conclude from such comparative analysis, there are always exceptions to the rule

4) There are a number of different levels to compare nations/races/civilisations on, so evaluation is highly subjective and wide open to criticism

5) Different cultures and societies operate on different, shifting cycles and trajectories e.g. 'The Dark Ages' vs. ‘Islamic Golden Age’

Yes and no, she doesn’t hate the West, but she is critical of Western society and (understandably) angry at the establishment for the way it/our allies have operated in the land of her ancestors

One doesn’t necessarily abandon one’s culture when one emigrates, and clearly her grandparents did not abandon theirs (queen-bee is testament to that), and to suppose they contributed nothing to our culture is plainly false too (not least because diversity, and the positives it brings, has entered into our culture)

A non-religious ideology of freedom centred on the sanctity of human rights, welfare, and dignity :nyan:

Corrected :hmmm:

hahah wait, i thought levantine people were from southern Europe,no?
hahaha is that so? i have lived here for 24 years,i think i qualify by now :wink: would i have to marry an Englishman for that to be the case?

yeah there are many people in the Israeli government who see as Arabs as worthless human being and call for their killings. I've seen plenty of online videos,sickening really.

i don't care what these little kids think really because they don't know me like you do or my upbringing or anything about my heritage.really makes me chuckle when they come up with the craziest accusations.

what do you mean by loyalties do not lie with us? i don't know what m expected to do. it's like a tug of war. i have been subject to racism here within the city I've lived in for 24 years,sometimes i feel like i can never be seen as equals with a native such as yourself. it's not difficult to tell i'm middle eastern. i have never been spat at by Arabs or Italians. I have both Muslim and christian friends and tbh apart from the religious differences,i haven't had any other racial issues as such apart from a few cases.

so now you're implying i am a fascist/islamist because i disagree with islamophobia???? OMG help me,you know me better than most .

so you are worried that if they come here they'll do the same?

ofcourse,I regard all humans are equals. sad state of affairs.

you think that's going to bring peace? i am not so sure tbh. what will happen to the kurds/peshmerga

only you get that privilege :sexface:

yeah a sign of being proud of one's heritage especially when confidence is at an all time low. i'll probably be scared for my own life tho.

it seems that the genuine view of most on here is that the western society is better than any other societies in the world. they probably wouldn't accept debating about it.

you'll always be my best friend,lawrence and alot more :sexface: :h:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by admonit
It just means that you are lying to the rest of the world. :cool:

From the Palestinian National Charter

Article 1
Palestine is the homeland of the Arab Palestinian people; it is an indivisible part of the Arab homeland, and the Palestinian people are an integral part of the Arab nation.

It looks like today is not your day, my queen. :smile:

loool I'm not your queen habibi! they're arab by name,share the same culture and language but by blood its a different story. when you search the history of such lands such as syria,you'll know the real truth. some refuse to call themselves as arabs( eg phoenicians)
the biggest liar is the israeli government advocating the killing of innocet arabs.

today is my,y'all just being mean
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Agrippatropes
:laugh: You can personally call yourself white and "technically" non-Arab all you want but please don't talk about ahl bilad ash-sham like we all agree with your racial nonsense and somehow don't identify as Arab!

i dont understand that queenbee, one day she says she is white another day she says she is arab. i guess i will never know.
Original post by HucktheForde
i dont understand that queenbee, one day she says she is white another day she says she is arab. i guess i will never know.

i have never said i was fully white. i'm Caucasian. i'm half white,half levantine or 'Arab' as some of you identify Syrians people as.
Reply 228
i have never said i was fully white. i'm Caucasian. i'm half white,half levantine or 'Arab' as some of you identify Syrians people as.

You are white though nothing wrong with that
Original post by al_94
You are white though nothing wrong with that

sure,i'm part white
Original post by Hydeman
They could get away with it as long as the religious police didn't find out. If they did, then you could probably expect a few arrests, Bible confiscations, etc.

Generally, that means you have to leave the country unless you can find another job. I don't quite know the details because I was only 13 when I left, but I did know people who changed jobs while living there, so I suppose it's not as automatic as I implied, but immigration is still very strict. You can't just go to KSA as a tourist.

lol wallah? i would probaby be the first to get arrested for forming the church community group.
Original post by HucktheForde

depends on the day of the week

the new claim I've seen is she's lived here for 24 years yet in a different thread she says she was born here (odd to miss this out when she's talking about people of the UK accepting her given I've argued she's as British as I am because of this very fact)
Original post by BaconandSauce

the new claim I've seen is she's lived here for 24 years yet in a different thread she says she was born here (odd to miss this out when she's talking about people of the UK accepting her given I've argued she's as British as I am because of this very fact)

How are these contradictory?
depends on the day of the week

lol you really are mentally challenged aren't you? I am 24,I was born here,therefore,I have lived in the UK for 24 years. Is that simple enough for you?
i have spent my life mostly in the UK but then travelling between the US,Switzerland,Italy and Germany.
Original post by Polysexual Nymph

i just cannot anymore
Original post by Polysexual Nymph

Because when complaining when's not accepted as a citizen saying you are born here carries much more weight that saying I have lived here....

But the longer you know queeny for the more contradictory she becomes
lol you really are mentally challenged aren't you? I am 24,I was born here,therefore,I have lived in the UK for 24 years. Is that simple enough for you?
i have spent my life mostly in the UK but then travelling between the US,Switzerland,Italy and Germany.

HMMMmmmmm.....
lol wallah? i would probaby be the first to get arrested for forming the church community group.

That's the way things are in good old Saudi, unfortunately. :beard:

Nope just highlighting that you are British

Nothing to be ashamed of Queeny now is it (being half German Yes I can see why you'd not want to shout this but that's because like you I'm British as well:biggrin:)
Because when complaining when's not accepted as a citizen saying you are born here carries much more weight that saying I have lived here....

But the longer you know queeny for the more contradictory she becomes

what are you even talking about. i have never said i don't feel accepted as a citizen,more that i have experienced racism even tho i am a citizen of the country for the past 24 years. learn to read

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending