The Student Room Group

Statistics GCSE coursework

Hi has anyone done a GCSE statistics coursework before?? if you have please tell me because i really need help on it - pm me if you can please!
Reply 1
Original post by malaikaxx
Hi has anyone done a GCSE statistics coursework before?? if you have please tell me because i really need help on it - pm me if you can please!

Hi, I think it would help everyone if you told us what exam board and what kind of help you actually need.
Reply 2
Original post by Aph
Hi, I think it would help everyone if you told us what exam board and what kind of help you actually need.

Ok, so basically my investigation theme is on books, i need to test 3 hypothesis and prove them right or wrong i have a list of hypothesis to choose from, my first is

1.) boys and girls prefer to read different types of books - in order to prove this i made a line diagram on graph paper and put the amount of people i am going to test on the y axis and the book genres on the x axis and to see the difference between the two i put boys and girls in different colours

now i need to do a third hypothesis and second hypothesis - these two are difficult for me to choose because in order to prove them right or wrong i need to use formulas that is used by higher tier students only e.g Variance, standard deviation, spearmans rank coefficient, mean of frequency distribution or mean of a grouped frequency distribution

other than just that i will need to use box plots and other diagrams - i need to use appropriate diagrams therefore my question needs to link with a technique as shown above which only H tier students are capable of using

SOME examples of different hypothesis i can use are:

do the times taken for people to read a page of a book compare
how do the number of pages and the weights of books compare
the amount of punctuation used in a book varies with different genres

please show me an example where i can use a diagram and higher tier technique to prove a second and third hypothesis

i am doing Edexcel GCSE - can someone give me their example if possible ?
Reply 3
Original post by malaikaxx
Ok, so basically my investigation theme is on books, i need to test 3 hypothesis and prove them right or wrong i have a list of hypothesis to choose from, my first is

1.) boys and girls prefer to read different types of books - in order to prove this i made a line diagram on graph paper and put the amount of people i am going to test on the y axis and the book genres on the x axis and to see the difference between the two i put boys and girls in different colours

now i need to do a third hypothesis and second hypothesis - these two are difficult for me to choose because in order to prove them right or wrong i need to use formulas that is used by higher tier students only e.g Variance, standard deviation, spearmans rank coefficient, mean of frequency distribution or mean of a grouped frequency distribution

other than just that i will need to use box plots and other diagrams - i need to use appropriate diagrams therefore my question needs to link with a technique as shown above which only H tier students are capable of using

SOME examples of different hypothesis i can use are:

do the times taken for people to read a page of a book compare
how do the number of pages and the weights of books compare
the amount of punctuation used in a book varies with different genres

please show me an example where i can use a diagram and higher tier technique to prove a second and third hypothesis

i am doing Edexcel GCSE - can someone give me their example if possible ?

For higher tier stuff in your first hypothesis you could use a chi-squared test.

I feel like telling you what hypothesis to choose would be against the spirit of coursework however.

Quick Reply

Latest