The Student Room Group

What is the practical value of reformed AS levels?

Hello,

I'm coming up to exam season and am currently taking the subjects:
Double Maths, Economics, Computer Science and Physics. This equates to the workload of around 5 Subjects due to double maths. I'm finding Physics really un-enjoyable at the moment and will definitely not carry it on to A2 next year.
In fact I am considering dropping the subject now and putting that time saved towards my other subjects.

My question is what is the practical value of having an AS in physics? Will it actually count for anything as i'm not going for the full A2.

Many Thanks
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown:

Why not try posting in a specific subject forum- you might have more luck there.

Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses. :redface:

:h:
There is no subject called Double Maths, is there?
Original post by tumnuss
Hello,

I'm coming up to exam season and am currently taking the subjects:
Double Maths, Economics, Computer Science and Physics. This equates to the workload of around 5 Subjects due to double maths. I'm finding Physics really un-enjoyable at the moment and will definitely not carry it on to A2 next year.
In fact I am considering dropping the subject now and putting that time saved towards my other subjects.

My question is what is the practical value of having an AS in physics? Will it actually count for anything as i'm not going for the full A2.

Many Thanks

UCAS have revised the value of AS levels to 40% of an A level. It does have value and universities would usually prefer that you sit the exam and gain the qualification even if you don't do brilliantly. Your referee can always explain that you took the subject as a 5th choice (assuming you take maths and FM A levels) and decided to drop it as you weren't enjoying it.

Depending which subjects you're considering for university physics AS might be beneficial - but as a 5th subject at AS it wont hurt your chances even if you tank the exams and get a very low grade.
Original post by PQ
... even if you tank the exams and get a very low grade.

I was told a very low grade is always a red flag issue and you'd better have a good reason for it.
Original post by fishyfishy1999
I was told a very low grade is always a red flag issue and you'd better have a good reason for it.

Not enjoying a 5th choice subject is a good reason
Original post by PQ
Not enjoying a 5th choice subject is a good reason

I doubt that. Sort of says the person can't tough it out.
Original post by fishyfishy1999
I doubt that. Sort of says the person can't tough it out.

Starting 5 A levels and dropping one at AS level is still studying at a level well beyond what universities expect. If the OP is predicted high grades for their 4 A levels then a crap AS grade isn't going to make any difference.
Original post by PQ
Starting 5 A levels and dropping one at AS level is still studying at a level well beyond what universities expect. If the OP is predicted high grades for their 4 A levels then a crap AS grade isn't going to make any difference.

I agree it is beyond what they expect but the elite universities don't expect to see a D or E grade on there no matter what. Easiest solution is not to get the crap grade.

Quick Reply

Latest