The Student Room Group

Retracting application from uni that hasn't replied yet?

I'm still waiting on a reply from Uni of Bath and they're the last one I need in order for me to put down my firm and insurance choices, which after realising there's no chance in hell that I'll get the A*AA that Bath require, I won't be putting them as either of my choices. The uni I will be putting first opens application for accommodation on the 1st of March and it's a first come first serve basis but I can't apply until I've firmed them which I can't do until Bath reply, so I was wondering if there's anyway I can retract my application to Bath?

okay so turns out I was looking on the UCAS website when I should've been looking on UCAS track. Thank you
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
I withdrew from three of my choices in order to firm and insure the offers I got - the option's right there on UCAS track.
Reply 2
Original post by clodotbox
I'm still waiting on a reply from Uni of Bath and they're the last one I need in order for me to put down my firm and insurance choices, which after realising there's no chance in hell that I'll get the A*AA that Bath require, I won't be putting them as either of my choices. The uni I will be putting first opens application for accommodation on the 1st of March and it's a first come first serve basis but I can't apply until I've firmed them which I can't do until Bath reply, so I was wondering if there's anyway I can retract my application to Bath?

Yes you can. Go onto UCAS TRACK. you will be able to view all of your options and there is a withdraw option. Then you can make your firm and insurance choices. Just log in it's pretty easy to work out.

Just use the withdraw button on track but bare in mind that you still have plenty of time to make your firm and insurance choices and that your firm choice shouldnt be putting pressure on you to do so.

To add to what others have said, universities are not allowed to hurry you into making a decision by claiming accommodation applications need to be put in urgently. It is not true, and they can get into trouble with Ucas for this kind of thing. Take your time.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
To add to what others have said, universities are not allowed to hurry you into making a decision by claiming accommodation applications need to be put in urgently. It is not true, and they can get into trouble with Ucas for this kind of thing. Take your time.

This is rubbish. They can open accommodation applications when they want and if they allocate on first come first served then that's how it is. Most Unis will guarantee you accommodation if you firm them but if you apply late it's just unlikely you'll get your favourite hall therefore there's still an incentive to apply early

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mizzsnazzter
This is rubbish. They can open accommodation applications when they want and if they allocate on first come first served then that's how it is. Most Unis will guarantee you accommodation if you firm them but if you apply late it's just unlikely you'll get your favourite hall therefore there's still an incentive to apply early

Posted from TSR Mobile

They are not allowed to suggest to you that you will be without accommodation if you don't firm them soon, and they don't allocate rooms to people who haven't even got their results yet and may not therefore even turn up. However, since you don't believe me, I will ask our resident expert to add their view: @PQ
2016 UCAS Admissions Guide
Principles of admissions

The following statements support theunderlying principles.

7. Unless the course starts before 1 September, aprovider cannot ask the applicant to reply before theirreply date, regardless of when the offer was made.

2015 UCAS Admissions Guide
6.15 To allow applicants adequate time to consider andmake replies by the dates required, you should ensurethat an open day, visit or interview is arranged before thedecision is sent to us

The UCAS system is set up to give adequate time to applicants to make an informed decision. Any university incentivising early acceptance is undermining a core principle of the UCAS scheme.

It definitely happens that *some* universities allocate accommodation early and so incentivise early acceptance. I'd advise anyone receiving correspondence from their choices encouraging them to firm so that they can apply early for accommodation to send that correspondence on to UCAS. It's highly likely that the accommodation department haven't been properly briefed by the admissions team on which deadlines they should be using (ie first come first served for accommodation isn't a big deal if applications only open in April - if applications for accommodation open in January then that's a different matter).

If you're feeling pressured by a university to choose your firm and insurance early (and ANY firm/insurance choices chosen before April is early) then please consider whether you really want to attend a university that places their own convenience above you having time and information to make a good decision. That doesn't bode well for their attitude towards student support if they're putting the hard sell on you as an applicant.
Original post by PQ
The UCAS system is set up to give adequate time to applicants to make an informed decision. Any university incentivising early acceptance is undermining a core principle of the UCAS scheme.

It definitely happens that *some* universities allocate accommodation early and so incentivise early acceptance. I'd advise anyone receiving correspondence from their choices encouraging them to firm so that they can apply early for accommodation to send that correspondence on to UCAS. It's highly likely that the accommodation department haven't been properly briefed by the admissions team on which deadlines they should be using (ie first come first served for accommodation isn't a big deal if applications only open in April - if applications for accommodation open in January then that's a different matter).

If you're feeling pressured by a university to choose your firm and insurance early (and ANY firm/insurance choices chosen before April is early) then please consider whether you really want to attend a university that places their own convenience above you having time and information to make a good decision. That doesn't bode well for their attitude towards student support if they're putting the hard sell on you as an applicant.

PRSOM, as usual.

What is the point in allocating rooms to people who haven't even been confirmed in their place yet? Do they enjoy doubling their workload?
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
PRSOM, as usual.

What is the point in allocating rooms to people who haven't even been confirmed in their place yet? Do they enjoy doubling their workload?

A lot of universities give out accommodation offers before results day so I don't see your point here.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mizzsnazzter
A lot of universities give out accommodation offers before results day so I don't see your point here.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My point is that by giving out accommodation early, they will be giving it out to people who don't end up going there and they will then have to reallocate it to those who are, maybe even to people who may have been turned down for that hall of residence originally. It's a waste of effort. No doubt @PQ will be able to give some insight.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending