The Student Room Group

UFC 196 - McGregor vs Diaz - who are you picking

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kalclash
It's hard to disagree with that dude. We'll see what Holly is made of on Sunday morning :smile: I reckon she'll surprise you :smile:

Out of interest, what fight were you more excited for - McGregor v Diaz or McGregor v RDA?

McGregor vs RDA i was so hyped after all the **** talking wanted to see RDA get bullied and KO'd or Mcgregor get knocked out by RDA would have been so funny after all the talk. I hope we still see that fight soon....
Original post by trapking
Anderson just wasnt as aggressive against bisping like he usually is...I was waiting for him to finish Bisping when he was dazed but he hesitated!

Oh well he will still be a great! The spider legacy lives on :biggrin:

I think his chin might be gone to be honest, which has made him hesitant. He will always be one of the greatest, and I will always think he could have beaten on Weidman had he been more serious. He is what he is though and we have to love him for that.
McGregor has the striking edge. His boxing is far cleaner, more dynamic and more flowy (Artem). He should win in the boxing, and I think even at 170 his power will be superior to Nate's. Consider kickboxing, an arena where Nate barely ventures into, and Conor wins decisively in the striking. I think grappling, Nate is probably more versed and his long limbs might pose some problems for Conor, but Conor has for a long time trained in BJJ under Kavanagh (and with Gunnie), and he dominated Holloway using his BJJ and wrestling skills even with a torn ACL -- I don't see Conor being overwhelmed by Nate's BJJ.

Conor wins. Holly probably wins as well, but Meisha's relentlessness makes that fight interesting. Hope Villante gets it, to bring pride to the Serra-Longo team, but I don't care in the slightest for the rest of the card. Even Miller and Sanchez is a bit dull, both has-beens. I see Miller catching a leglock or RNC, but equally Sanchez could knock his head off.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by ByronicHero
RDA definitely. I have rated RDA very highly for some time and think that will be a fantastic fight. I love the Diaz brothers but I don't think either of them have a very good chance of beating Conor.

I love Griffin, and his books are great fun if you are so inclined.

I would not have been angry with an Anderson win but I wouldn't have thought is was correct. Broadly, that is the majority opinion across media outlets as well.

Conor would need to take quite a while to get big enough for the division I think and it may be a bit of a stretch for him. I love his attitude though, it is the same thing I always loved about BJ. Fight anyone, anytime.

Interesting you mention B.J. Penn. My theory is that UFC is expecting Connor to lose at some point soon. At which point his comeback fight is against BJ Penn and BOOM! Massive fight, that McGregor almost certainly wins, get's huge numbers, makes tonnes of money and get McGregor back into contention for another title fight and more $$$ for everyone.

And yeah I was more pumped for RDA v McGregor. I am still very much looking forward to Diaz, but realistically Connor is likely to walk a victory here in time to smash UFC 200.
Interesting you mention B.J. Penn. My theory is that UFC is expecting Connor to lose at some point soon. At which point his comeback fight is against BJ Penn and BOOM! Massive fight, that McGregor almost certainly wins, get's huge numbers, makes tonnes of money and get McGregor back into contention for another title fight and more $$$ for everyone.

And yeah I was more pumped for RDA v McGregor. I am still very much looking forward to Diaz, but realistically Connor is likely to walk a victory here in time to smash UFC 200.

That is a very interesting theory. I'm sort of excited to see BJ fight again as he is possibly my favourite fighter of all time but it has been just so depressing seeing him fight of late. Unless his new camp has a very large impact on his abilities I don't see how he wouldn't lose to Conor, though would bet money on it not being a submission :tongue:

UFC 200 better be good. I plan to buy a really good bottle of whiskey for it :colone:
Reply 25
That is a very interesting theory. I'm sort of excited to see BJ fight again as he is possibly my favourite fighter of all time but it has been just so depressing seeing him fight of late. Unless his new camp has a very large impact on his abilities I don't see how he wouldn't lose to Conor, though would bet money on it not being a submission :tongue:

UFC 200 better be good. I plan to buy a really good bottle of whiskey for it :colone:

Yeah man, they need to make UFC 200 good. UFC 100 feels like a distand memory now, but I remember they were headlining with both GSP and Lesnar (can't remember the opponents anymore).

They'll struggle to top UFC 100 as they don't have the big names any more. Connor and Ronda are the 2 biggest draws now, but Rousey won't be fighting and Connor needs to come out of UFC 196 unharmed. Having BJ on that card would really help numbers and having him fight Connor would do big numbers...
Reply 26
McGregor vs RDA i was so hyped after all the **** talking wanted to see RDA get bullied and KO'd or Mcgregor get knocked out by RDA would have been so funny after all the talk. I hope we still see that fight soon....

Yeah dude I agree I was not happy when I heard RDA had pulled out!
Yeah man, they need to make UFC 200 good. UFC 100 feels like a distand memory now, but I remember they were headlining with both GSP and Lesnar (can't remember the opponents anymore).

They'll struggle to top UFC 100 as they don't have the big names any more. Connor and Ronda are the 2 biggest draws now, but Rousey won't be fighting and Connor needs to come out of UFC 196 unharmed. Having BJ on that card would really help numbers and having him fight Connor would do big numbers...

Mir of course(!) and Alves. It also had the famous H bomb knockout of Bisping and a certain Mr J Jones on the under-card.

I agree with all off that. There was some talk at one point of GSP returning for it. He is apparently training pretty hard again. I was actually one of very few people who found a stream and listened to his announcement that he was taking a break live. Maybe we can do GSP Vs BJ without the grease :tongue:
Reply 28
Original post by Nameless Ghoul
McGregor has the striking edge. His boxing is far cleaner, more dynamic and more flowy (Artem). He should win in the boxing, and I think even at 170 his power will be superior to Nate's. Consider kickboxing, an arena where Nate barely ventures into, and Conor wins decisively in the striking. I think grappling, Nate is probably more versed and his long limbs might pose some problems for Conor, but Conor has for a long time trained in BJJ under Kavanagh (and with Gunnie), and he dominated Holloway using his BJJ and wrestling skills even with a torn ACL -- I don't see Conor being overwhelmed by Nate's BJJ.

Conor wins. Holly probably wins as well, but Meisha's relentlessness makes that fight interesting. Hope Villante gets it, to bring pride to the Serra-Longo team, but I don't care in the slightest for the rest of the card. Even Miller and Sanchez is a bit dull, both has-beens. I see Miller catching a leglock or RNC, but equally Sanchez could knock his head off.

The BJJ is still a big unknown about Connor, but that's because he hasn't been tested recently and like you say Gunnar is a beast! Also Nate is not known for his take downs so Connor should be pretty safe.

I forgot about Miller v Sanchez - I don't think Miller will have too many issues there but it's a shame to see them so low down on the card!!
Reply 29
Mir of course(!) and Alves. It also had the famous H bomb knockout of Bisping and a certain Mr J Jones on the under-card.

I agree with all off that. There was some talk at one point of GSP returning for it. He is apparently training pretty hard again. I was actually one of very few people who found a stream and listened to his announcement that he was taking a break live. Maybe we can do GSP Vs BJ without the grease :tongue:

I can't believe the Hendo Bisbing fight was so long ago! That's insane!! Yeah now you're talking about it, just reminds me how good UFC 100 was. There's no replicating that greatness at present in my opinion.

I don't think there's any way that Penn is stupid enough to accept a GPS giht (I hope).
I can't believe the Hendo Bisbing fight was so long ago! That's insane!! Yeah now you're talking about it, just reminds me how good UFC 100 was. There's no replicating that greatness at present in my opinion.

I don't think there's any way that Penn is stupid enough to accept a GPS giht (I hope).

I hope so too, the days where BJ could have beaten GSP are long gone - if they ever existed (I'm a fan so biased). It would certain improve buys though. Two legends back in the ring.

**** it, let's have JJ Vs Kimbo.

I just looked at the card for 100. I forgot completely that Coleman was on that card! And Mac Danzig, everyone's favourite vegan.
Reply 31
I hope so too, the days where BJ could have beaten GSP are long gone - if they ever existed (I'm a fan so biased). It would certain improve buys though. Two legends back in the ring.

**** it, let's have JJ Vs Kimbo.

I just looked at the card for 100. I forgot completely that Coleman was on that card! And Mac Danzig, everyone's favourite vegan.

You joke about Kimbo, but it's a sad state of affairs when putting him on the card would actually have a massive impact on the numbers! Very sad.

The Diaz brothers are also vegan, they just don't shout about it.
I'm so excited for Saturday! I think McGregor!! He's amazing but I wish dos anjos didn't pull out lmao would of been a wicked fight, maybe they'll do it at UFC 200??
Original post by jessicabeth
I'm so excited for Saturday! I think McGregor!! He's amazing but I wish dos anjos didn't pull out lmao would of been a wicked fight, maybe they'll do it at UFC 200??

He had a bruise on his foot ffs and said he had a broken leg smh...

Conor is right there's too many pussies but Nate isnt one :rofl:
Reply 34
Original post by jessicabeth

That's what I'm hoping! It would be a big fight for UFC 200 and I really wanted to see McGregor tested against RDA :smile:
You joke about Kimbo, but it's a sad state of affairs when putting him on the card would actually have a massive impact on the numbers! Very sad.

The Diaz brothers are also vegan, they just don't shout about it.

Haha I know what you mean. Did you see that Dada almost died after their fight?

Actually they are mostly vegan, but broadly pescatarian but are misreported as vegan very often - at least this is my understanding. :smile:
He had a bruise on his foot ffs and said he had a broken leg smh...

Conor is right there's too many pussies but Nate isnt one :rofl:

When Conor referred to it as a 'bruise' lmao. Yeah Diaz is deffo up for it but I just get the impression he's a bit of a gangsta wannabe??? Idk maybe I'm wrong
That's what I'm hoping! It would be a big fight for UFC 200 and I really wanted to see McGregor tested against RDA :smile:

I'm with you on that!! Anyone excited for the holly's fight or nah??!?
The BJJ is still a big unknown about Connor, but that's because he hasn't been tested recently and like you say Gunnar is a beast! Also Nate is not known for his take downs so Connor should be pretty safe.

I forgot about Miller v Sanchez - I don't think Miller will have too many issues there but it's a shame to see them so low down on the card!!

It is unknown, but he does have a brown belt and he did do well in the Holloway fight primarily grappling. Diaz is very strong off his back, however. Diaz might not take Conor down, but let's say that Conor rocks Diaz and he takes mount to finish the TKO, grappling could be relevant. That said, it is easier to defend submissions than it is to trap people in submissions. Conor should be fine.

They did the same thing with Poirier vs Duffy. I think they're just trying to give people a reason to buy Fight Pass.
Original post by Nameless Ghoul

Why do you say long limbs are advantageous in grappling in sports?

Quick Reply

Latest