The Student Room Group

Why is everyone on TSR so "intelligent"?

Lmao, so everyone on TSR seems to get straight A*s at GCSE, and anything below this is just "lazy".

You're supposed to be educated and open minded, yet you are somewhat narrow minded about the grades that people less academic than yourself get at GCSE. Saying that someone is "lazy" if they don't get straight A*s is so pathetic.

It makes me question the authenticity of the grades that people seem to achieve on this site, seeing as the "average" are straight Cs, but the average on TSR is somewhere around 8 A*s and As lmao.

It's the same with A Level. Everyone one seems to get AAA or AAB and anything below that is literally shunned upon, even though in reality these are absolutely amazing grades!

Has anyone noticed this when reading some threads on TSR?

Scroll to see replies

yes lmfao literally every profile I check it's full of A*s and I'm like wtf..
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Original post by romansholiday
Lmao, so everyone on TSR seems to get straight A*s at GCSE, and anything below this is just "lazy".

You should check the Latest Discussions list on results day -- that should quickly put this impression to bed. :wink:

You're supposed to be educated and open minded, yet you are somewhat narrow minded about the grades that people less academic than yourself get at GCSE. Saying that someone is "lazy" if they don't get straight A*s is so pathetic.

It makes me question the authenticity of the grades that people seem to achieve on this site, seeing as the "average" are straight Cs, but the average on TSR is somewhere around 8 A*s and As lmao.

It's the same with A Level. Everyone one seems to get AAA or AAB and anything below that is literally shunned upon, even though in reality these are absolutely amazing grades!

Has anyone noticed this when reading some threads on TSR?

People with top grades post their grades to get praise, people with slightly lower grades then feel too embarrassed to mention theirs, and the cycle repeats until it seems that people on this website never get anything less than A*/A in anything. That's TSR for you. :tongue:
yes it is like Plato's Academy here :yep:
Haha. I suppose there is a bias in that, for the most part, only highly dedicated students are likely to join a 'student' website - I assume for help mainly, as well as chat.

My GCSE's were mostly C's, and my AS levels were terribru! Still proud of them though.

If people aren't open minded, then that is simply there loss.
Reply 6
Original post by hellodave5
Haha. I suppose there is a bias in that, for the most part, only highly dedicated students are likely to join a 'student' website - I assume for help mainly, as well as chat.

My GCSE's were mostly C's, and my AS levels were terribru! Still proud of them though.

If people aren't open minded, then that is simply there loss.

Uhm because the people who put their GCSE results on their profiles are the ones who did really good at them. The rest, won't include them at all. Which, btw, is the majority of people in here as far as I'm concerned. You overestimate how many people on here even have GCSE grades (or any grades really) on their profile info.
OO i got called "lazy" cos of my grades. don't care really, a levels and gcse's are irrelevant to me now :biggrin:
Reply 8
Clearly haven't found me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Grades are no indication of intelligence.

Have you seen some of the garbage that people post?

(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
Well, my highest grade at GCSE was a B. :tongue:
Reply 11
makes me feel inferior tbh
prob why I'm only on chat all the time cos my brain doesn't belong anywhere else x'D
Yeah I've noticed. A long time ago. A majority of the users are pretty naive despite the grades they attain at GCSE/A-level. Won't name any specific users.

Take everything on here with a pinch of salt.
I'm really dumb.
There are definite snobs on TSR who think only A*s and top universities are worthwhile. Unfortunately their voices are very loud and they have a tendency to make comments criticising 'lowly' universities and grades lower than straight As. There are many quieter voices who get average grades or top grades but with the understanding that their skills in academia don't make them Gods. The trick is to learn to mute the loud voices. After several years I think I've mastered that skill.
Original post by romansholiday

It it makes you feel better I think people who didn't get As at GCSE are mostly less intelligent than people who did, not lazier. That's not their fault.
Reply 16
There's an irony in that I spend a lot of time on this website and yet I'm an awful student with shitty grades to match lol
lol idek 1+1
Reply 18
I basically coasted all the way through my GCSE's and A Levels, but met my match in about my second year of my degree :frown:
We are all a perception to some extent, that being different to others. There are plenty of people that have awesome grades.
But I think there are some very intelligent and smart users that might not have had the best of grades, yet their thought processes are able to give constructive and helpful advise on matters that are posted here.

Quick Reply

Latest