The Student Room Group

Maintenance Loan Problem

Hi,
I'm new here and this is my first post (cut some slack, please)!

I've applied to go to a uni this year, my student finance application was processed and was accepted, but I have one big problem - as I will be studying full-time and away from home, I'm not sure how I'll be able to pay the hall rent, as I was only given £3741 for my Maintenance Loan. Just to give you an idea, the cheapest apartments cost about £85 /pw, so that means that I will not even be able to live through a year at uni, plus I'll be living very far away from home (about 5 hrs. by train to Lancaster University from my location).

To give some background information - I live in a big family, which consists of four younger brothers. My father earns about £50K /pa. which sounds like a lot, but you have to understand that this salary does not provide that much if you split it up in a big family. Because of this, my maintenance loan amount that I was able to borrow decreased and my family is in a big debt, so my parents cannot help me out with my university finance.

If you know of any part-time jobs that might get me through this, or any other suggestions, or whatever, please tell! I'm in a lot of trouble right now and need all the help I can get.

Thanks a lot!!!!
Reply 1
Original post by nerdynick
Hi,

I've applied to go to a uni this year, my student finance application was processed and was accepted, but I have one big problem - as I will be studying full-time and away from home, I'm not sure how I'll be able to pay the hall rent, as I was only given £3741 for my Maintenance Loan. Just to give you an idea, the cheapest apartments cost about £85 /pw, so that means that I will not even be able to live through a year at uni, plus I'll be living very far away from home (about 5 hrs. by train to Lancaster University from my location).

To give some background information - I live in a big family, which consists of four younger brothers. My father earns about £50K /pa. which sounds like a lot, but you have to understand that this salary does not provide that much if you split it up in a big family. Because of this, my maintenance loan amount that I was able to borrow decreased and my family is in a big debt, so my parents cannot help me out with my university finance.

If you know of any part-time jobs that might get me through this, or any other suggestions, or whatever, please tell! I'm in a lot of trouble right now and need all the help I can get.

Thanks a lot!!!!

hopefully some who knowns more about the subject will be here to help you
all the best!
Maintenance loans are almost never enough to pay the bills and rent. The cheapest halls at my uni are around £130 per week and lots of people are struggling. A part time job will definitely help - start saving up now and work loads over the summer.

Also make sure you budget wisely at uni - calculate how much you will spend per week and do not go over that limit. For example, if you say you'll keep aside £50 a week for going out, clubs etc, keep to it. Once you hit £50, stop spending.

You'll have to be smart with your money and shop thriftily; own brands from supermarkets over branded items, make use of coupons and special offers etc. It can be done, just be cautious and sensible!
Reply 3
Original post by georgiaswift
Maintenance loans are almost never enough to pay the bills and rent. The cheapest halls at my uni are around £130 per week and lots of people are struggling. A part time job will definitely help - start saving up now and work loads over the summer.

Also make sure you budget wisely at uni - calculate how much you will spend per week and do not go over that limit. For example, if you say you'll keep aside £50 a week for going out, clubs etc, keep to it. Once you hit £50, stop spending.

You'll have to be smart with your money and shop thriftily; own brands from supermarkets over branded items, make use of coupons and special offers etc. It can be done, just be cautious and sensible!

Thanks for your quick reply!

I hope it'll work out, because no way am I getting any help from my parents :ashamed2: :tongue:
Reply 4
Hi any advice will be helpful

My daughter is starting her application for uni and also maintenance loan. I support her but i work away alot and dont have a fixed address so cant provide a council tax bill.

Is this going to be a problem. I can provide all the other info i.e ns number and ifo from my tax return
Reply 5
P.S. If anybody knows of any planning apps or such, it would be very helpful if you shared them here. Thanks!
Original post by nerdynick
Hi,

Thanks a lot!!!!

Many shops, cafes, restaurants and bars take on 16+ year olds- if its a big chain e.g. Asda then they can quite often arrange for transfers between stores near uni & home.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending