The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by difeo
Joke's on you, I don't have a girl

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by llys
It's a leap year. Duh.

What does a leap year have to do with your small time celebration?

Still think you're coming above Spurs anyway.
I guarantee that if we dropped Ramsey and played two sitting Central Midfielders (Elneny, Coquelin) we would have got a result out of this game. We try to play like we're at home when we're at Old Trafford and it just does not work.
http://swissramble.blogspot.co.uk/

Same old story with Arsenal's financials.

Lots of cash but still weak on commercial revenues.
Original post by Zerforax
http://swissramble.blogspot.co.uk/

Same old story with Arsenal's financials.

Lots of cash but still weak on commercial revenues.

Because we don't win ****, the plastic fans in Asia and the Middle East always support who is winning.
Original post by AliRizzo
Gab didn't have the greatest of games but I think it would be premature to suggest Mertesacker would have done any better, the bloke is an absolute clown.

agree that mert probably would not have done any better then gab..

But, the key thing is that for some reason mert brings out the best in the others.

Kos just does not perform with other partners.. on paper we have had kos+gab, kos+verm, but neither have brought the best out of him.

Plus the defense as a whole just screemed of a lack of organisation and leadership.. which is something mert does bring.

So bassically for me your trade off is: take a worst CB in mert, but get better performances out of your LB/RB/otherCB

Honestly though, need to sort out our CBs, or just find another person that kos actually works well wtih.
Of course Arsenal is weak on commercial revenue the casual fans aren't going to support Arsenal a lot of kids and casuals have been going to support Chelsea and United over the years and if Spurs win the league it will hurt Arsenal even more
Original post by sevva888
Because we don't win ****, the plastic fans in Asia and the Middle East always support who is winning.

Hardly true. There are tons of fans in asia who still support Liverpool who haven't had the best of years recently.
Original post by sevva888

Liverpool haven't won much in quite a long time either but we still have higher commercial revenues. I guess we just have a stronger brand.

I do sometimes wonder if the board are keeping a lot of cash for a raining day (i.e. when Wenger leaves) as a back-up in case you then don't qualify for the CL regularly (ala Man Utd/Liverpool)?
Original post by fallen_acorns
agree that mert probably would not have done any better then gab..

But, the key thing is that for some reason mert brings out the best in the others.

Kos just does not perform with other partners.. on paper we have had kos+gab, kos+verm, but neither have brought the best out of him.

Plus the defense as a whole just screemed of a lack of organisation and leadership.. which is something mert does bring.

So bassically for me your trade off is: take a worst CB in mert, but get better performances out of your LB/RB/otherCB

Honestly though, need to sort out our CBs, or just find another person that kos actually works well wtih.

Agreed, it's comical that we're having this discussion when we thought our CB woes were over. I think Gab has been too rash in his decision making and keeps trying to correct his errors and so leads onto making more errors. He doesn't look very comfortable on the ball either, and his aerial presence is more than questionable. I also agree that we have to come to a trade off which is again comical, although I think Gab/Chambers should be given more chances before Per is put back into the side.

The defence was very unorganized but were made to feel very nervous by the constant attack down the wings and our anonymous midfield offered no assurances, hence the jittery.

I don't agree on the leadership aspect though concerning Mertesacker. He seems a rather cowardly player (ducking out of headers), he tends to play a lot of backwards/sideways passes and more often than not leaves his CB partner in a bad position or throws the responsibility onto another player i.e. in a tight situation Per will play the wrong pass and shift responsibility onto someone else who is already under a lot of pressure/being closed down. You only have to look as far back as Barca to see the situation he put Flamini in and the resulting stick Flamini got for reacting too quickly, a man who had just come on the field and so is expected to be rusty in truth, when the majority of the blame lies with Per.
Liverpool haven't won much in quite a long time either but we still have higher commercial revenues. I guess we just have a stronger brand.

I do sometimes wonder if the board are keeping a lot of cash for a raining day (i.e. when Wenger leaves) as a back-up in case you then don't qualify for the CL regularly (ala Man Utd/Liverpool)?

One can only wish that they were that smart enough to think of such long term planning. They're utterly clueless.
Original post by AliRizzo
One can only wish that they were that smart enough to think of such long term planning. They're utterly clueless.

I think that's pretty harsh. Arsenal are a very well run club with a lot of bright people at the top.

You'd imagine the sitting on large cash reserves comes from:

1) Big Stan - for whatever reason
2) The board/CEO - for a rainy day
3) Wenger - because he hasn't found value in the market to improve the squad

You might moan about not spending a lot of money but the grass isn't always greener - Liverpool have spent a fortune on players and we've probably gone more backwards than forwards a lot of the time.
I think that's pretty harsh. Arsenal are a very well run club with a lot of bright people at the top.

You'd imagine the sitting on large cash reserves comes from:

1) Big Stan - for whatever reason
2) The board/CEO - for a rainy day
3) Wenger - because he hasn't found value in the market to improve the squad

You might moan about not spending a lot of money but the grass isn't always greener - Liverpool have spent a fortune on players and we've probably gone more backwards than forwards a lot of the time.

Doubt it. Wenger runs everything and makes them look like they know what they're doing. Fans may not like to hear it but at this moment in time, and for the past 10 years, he has been Arsenal. As Chris Hudson would say they haven't got a scooby doo. I remember at an AGM once Sir Chips Keswick once said that they leave all the decisions with Wenger. October 2014:

When asked: ‘Were funds available to the manager to strengthen the defence?If there were why was nothing done about it?’ Keswick replied: ‘It’s not my place to double-guess Arsene’s intentions. We back Arsene when he has a plan. We stay quiet when he doesn’t.’

It's not really the whole spending money issue which is a problem, it's filling the large gaps we have which is the major issue. If we could buy 3/4 players for 50-70 million (unrealistic, I know) and the squad is perfect then I'd be more than content, even if we had reserves of up £160m. Fans have every right to be frustrated when we only bought a GK and it was clear to everyone the squad wasn't good enough to sustain a title challenge.
(edited 8 years ago)
Ok let's be real here. Arsenal may have money I don't know but none of these top players want to come to us. Benzema laughed at the prospect of coming to Arsenal, so did Aubameyang, Higuain wants nothing to do with us.
Original post by al_94
Ok let's be real here. Arsenal may have money I don't know but none of these top players want to come to us. Benzema laughed at the prospect of coming to Arsenal, so did Aubameyang, Higuain wants nothing to do with us.

you remember that GON ZOL OH chant the Napoli fans have. man thats fire.
Original post by swirly
you remember that GON ZOL OH chant the Napoli fans have. man thats fire.

I remember when he scored against us in 2013 and they chanted that. Unreal scenes, felt the hair standing up on my arm. Almost wanted them to knock us out of the CL just for that.
Yeah when Napoli score in their stadium the place gets lit.

Amazing scenes in that stadium.

Scariest fans is the Bayern fans, they go quiet then chant Muller at the top of their voices.

Actually Camp Nou may top that.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jam277
Neither did you lot beat Chelsea?

We aren't challenging for the title ffs.
And its not like you beat us...
Original post by Rk2k14
We aren't challenging for the title ffs.
And its not like you beat us...

You said couldn't even beat us.

Also after spending 250M in 2 seasons you should be. I was just assuming that a team that outspends the rest of the division by a country mile should win the title with ease.
Reply 4919
Original post by difeo
Joke's on you, I don't have a girl

Exactly :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest