The Student Room Group

Unemployed with a first class degree

*edit*

Forget university guys. Nepotism is king.

- brb university drop out.
- brb no experience or qualifications in programming.
- brb software engineer in civil service.
- brb wealthy parents.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by hamoncheese
Hi guys,

I graduated last summer with a bachelors degree in physics and I have been unemployed ever since. My self esteem and feelings of self worth are shot to pieces. I can no longer go on websites such as linkedin, as all it does is confirm that everyone is better and smarter and more mature than I am, apparently. I have seen people magic careers out of nothing.

My CV isn't too bad. My academics are strong from GCSE through to degree level, and I've had a few jobs in admin and retail. I also did some volunteer work with children a few years ago. I've mainly been applying to science jobs as that is what my degree is in. I also applied to the GCHQ graduate scheme but was unsuccessful. Before anyone mentions it, no I don't have aspergers or anything like that - my social skills are pretty good.

I just don't know what to do. To make matters worse, some other people from my course are doing well, even someone who dropped out (I'll get onto this later).

I will give a recent example of my struggles. There is a company in Manchester called nanoco technologies who are an employer of STEM graduates. I noticed on linkedin that someone from my course has been working there for a few months. "Great" I thought. The website said it welcomed expressions of interest so I proceeded to send my CV. Tumbleweed. I have not heard a thing from them and I even tried a second time. This is typical of my experiences. I have relevent practical skills that no one from my course has (such as CVD) and I completed a module in nanotechnology and got 83% - the highest on my course. You know what really bugs me? The person who works there from my course was a really mediocre student, I recall people telling her the answers during labs. Did they know someone in the company?

The person who dropped out of my course is now a software engineer for the DWP. What the heck. She had no prior experience or qualifications in programming. Her previous job was as an office assistant. I just don't get it. Fast stream without a degree? She has numerous programming languages listed on linkedin so this is another thing I don't quite understand. She must have known these to apply for the job I would assume, so how did she learn them on her own to a high level? I am more than willing to put the leg-work in and learn these languages, but I don't know where to start. It's things like javascript and CSS.

I could go on with more examples but I will only depress myself. I could do with some practical advice on the following:

- Where are the BEST places to look for jobs
- Should I cold call
- Where can I learn java, javascript, CSS, HTML etc

It would also be nice to hear from people in a similar position, as right now, it feels like everyone has a job except me.

I am now retired to know how the job market works these days but I am really sorry to hear all this.
All I can say is try to stay positive.
https://m.efinancialcareers.com/en/?&locale=en_GB#/jobs/?orderBy=SCORE&jobLocationNamePref=----%20London&freshSearch=1&keywords=Physics&JOB_LOCATION_ID=2643743

Don't know if any of these are of your level. But a first in a numerical degree should get you a decent job in finance, though I don't know where you are looking.
Is that company near you nanoco tech? GO AND VIST IN PERSON with your CV and cover letter

- Have you thought about becoming a physics teacher?
Reply 4
Hi guys,

I graduated last summer with a bachelors degree in physics and I have been unemployed ever since. My self esteem and feelings of self worth are shot to pieces. I can no longer go on websites such as linkedin, as all it does is confirm that everyone is better and smarter and more mature than I am, apparently. I have seen people magic careers out of nothing.

My CV isn't too bad. My academics are strong from GCSE through to degree level, and I've had a few jobs in admin and retail. I also did some volunteer work with children a few years ago. I've mainly been applying to science jobs as that is what my degree is in. I also applied to the GCHQ graduate scheme but was unsuccessful. Before anyone mentions it, no I don't have aspergers or anything like that - my social skills are pretty good.

I just don't know what to do. To make matters worse, some other people from my course are doing well, even someone who dropped out (I'll get onto this later).

I will give a recent example of my struggles. There is a company in Manchester called nanoco technologies who are an employer of STEM graduates. I noticed on linkedin that someone from my course has been working there for a few months. "Great" I thought. The website said it welcomed expressions of interest so I proceeded to send my CV. Tumbleweed. I have not heard a thing from them and I even tried a second time. This is typical of my experiences. I have relevent practical skills that no one from my course has (such as CVD) and I completed a module in nanotechnology and got 83% - the highest on my course. You know what really bugs me? The person who works there from my course was a really mediocre student, I recall people telling her the answers during labs. Did they know someone in the company?

The person who dropped out of my course is now a software engineer for the DWP. What the heck. She had no prior experience or qualifications in programming. Her previous job was as an office assistant. I just don't get it. Fast stream without a degree? She has numerous programming languages listed on linkedin so this is another thing I don't quite understand. She must have known these to apply for the job I would assume, so how did she learn them on her own to a high level? I am more than willing to put the leg-work in and learn these languages, but I don't know where to start. It's things like javascript and CSS.

I could go on with more examples but I will only depress myself. I could do with some practical advice on the following:

- Should I cold call

It would also be nice to hear from people in a similar position, as right now, it feels like everyone has a job except me.

Your unemployed because your standard are currently too high (whether due to employers not liking your CV or you failing interviews). You have previous retail experience so head there.

To answer your questions then..

1) For immediate employment i would contact every job agency in your county and get some factory work. For a month or two of searching i'd go for retail.

2) Yes you should. It's a job.

3) Buy a book and learn it, you can then take a qualification in it.
I am so sorry to hear this and what i'm going to tell you may sound very odd, however this is what I know first hand. My economics teacher is an ex investment banker who also had a leading role in HR for many top investment banks before the recession. Basically he said there was always a trend that employers would always choose/favour applicants with a 2.1 in a rigorous degree over those with a 1st in a rigorous degree due to the often negative stigma attached to students achieving firsts in very academic degrees, that they would have poor social skills and not integrate well within a work place. Seeing as you have a physics degree which is probably one of the hardest degrees you can do I would say the fact that you have a first is making you seem overqualified...just my opinion. I'm probably grasping at straws lol
I refuse to read OP
I refuse to face life
Reply 7
Hi guys,

- Should I cold call

Learning HTML and CSS is VERY easy, you can learn the basics in 10 minutes if you understand the basics of technology.

HTML and CSS are markup languages, so these are the things that can design a basic webpage and the layout.

Javascript is an actual programming language/scripting language that you can actually create applications with, Javascript is used a lot in websites for web applications. But without HTML and CSS knowledge then Javascript isn't very useful.

Java is a programming language, much more complex than Javascript. You can program most things in Java. However learning Java can take years, especially if you're a beginner.

There are lots of tutorials on the internet about all programming languages and HTML. Lots of books on the subject as well
Reply 8
Original post by MeeranB
ts post scares the **** out of me

I've been teaching myself C++ and Java in my spare time for 4 years so this post makes me feel great.
Reply 9
Thanks I'll look into those.

Meh don't bother for Java go straight to
https://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/

They can be difficult but they'll throw you straight into the deep end and you'll learn proper skills quickly, Oracle are the corporation responsible for developing the main branch so you can't go wrong with this.
I know its obvious but can you get your CV looked over? I thought mine was amazing but I had a careers advisor look over it and I was able to make a lot of positive changes which have helped me to get a few internship interviews. Also don't overlook the transferable skills you can get from volunteering or even apply for internships? Have you maybe thought about postgrad? Lots of unis do a conversion Information Technology MSc for example (where you'd learn a bit of programming and bolster your CV a bit).
Hi guys,

- Should I cold call

Degrees are not the only thing that makes one good employee. And a degree is not, and should not, be a prerequisite for employment. You can learn those skills online for free. Sometimes having a willingness to learn, a solid basic understanding is a good start for a career in programming.
Call up a recruitment consultant.

Tell them; this is what I have....

What do I need?
Reply 13
Lots of people have first class degrees, degrees in themselves does not entitle you to a job. You need to show how the skills and knowledge you gained in your degree and previous jobs can be of use to your potential employer

You also need to be much more proactive in getting your CV out to potential employers. There are so many graduates all looking for jobs you need to think of ways of standing out and making employers take notice of you.
You shouldn't have as much trouble finding a job with a degree in physics as you have been saying.

Do you train yourself in new skills outside of academia?
Did your course offer a placement year?

Those are things that really boost you in interviews.

Alternatively you could do a Master's. Everyone knows that in research you can't get high on the career ladder without high qualifications. After your Master's do a PhD/EngD/etc. Alternatively try applying for jobs in countries where there is a higher demand for researchers, such as America.
Original post by MeeranB
this post scares the **** out of me

Same here, especially as I'll be doing a humanities degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My CV isn't too bad.

If you aren't even getting to interview, then I'm afraid the problem almost certainly lies with your CV, after all, that's all the employers have to judge you on. Even if you have good material to put in it, ie a strong degree and good experience/skills, if it is presented in the wrong way, then you won't get through the filtering and get the interview invitation.

Get your University Careers Service involved - it's in their interests to help you get employment, or use the CV Help forum on here to get your CV checked out. It needs to be looked at by people who are actually employers, not just by family and friends.
Thanks, I'll go to the CV service.

Which Uni u go to?
Im doing such a fobby degree and you did physics and you're unable to find a job? Wow. :/ I hope you get something - keep on trying I guess
Reply 19
This post is another piece of proof that a slight amount of luck is pretty much always needed. I'm not saying win the lottery luck, but right timing, favourable competition in terms of pool of applicants, lucky interview day etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending