The Student Room Group

How can I get into a top uni for economics?

I'm interested in doing an economics degree, so I was wondering what I can do to prepare for this. What A levels should i take etc etc.
Im currently in yr 11

any advice is appreciated

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by nobbyd
I'm interested in doing an economics degree, so I was wondering what I can do to prepare for this. What A levels should i take etc etc.
Im currently in yr 11

Get good A-levels. Why do you want to do economics? its one of the most boring courses.
Reply 2
Just take strong traditional subjects i'd imagine

maths (for sure), physics, economics, history etc
Reply 3
Original post by Judas69
Get good A-levels. Why do you want to do economics? its one of the most boring courses.

In your opinion :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Judas69

lol im doing it for GCSE and i personally find it very interesting!
Reply 5
Maths, Further Maths, Economics and History
Reply 6
Original post by stirkee
Just take strong traditional subjects i'd imagine

maths (for sure), physics, economics, history etc

great thanks
Reply 7
I've got an offer from Bristol, Edinburgh, Leicester and Birmingham for economics. Bristol is in the top 5ish. I do maths, law and sociology
I'm currently doing maths, economics, geography and Spanish and I'm thinking of studying economics/economics with (another subject eg Spanish)
I would say definitely take maths and if you believe you are good enough further maths too if you are looking LSE.
I'm finding Geography is actually a really good subject with economics, it links really well.
History would also be another good subject to do as it is essay based and shows that you can write essays well.
Reply 9
Original post by Krazy7
I've got an offer from Bristol, Edinburgh, Leicester and Birmingham for economics. Bristol is in the top 5ish. I do maths, law and sociology

Congrats!
Reply 10
Original post by karinaabrown
I'm currently doing maths, economics, geography and Spanish and I'm thinking of studying economics/economics with (another subject eg Spanish)
I would say definitely take maths and if you believe you are good enough further maths too if you are looking LSE.
I'm finding Geography is actually a really good subject with economics, it links really well.
History would also be another good subject to do as it is essay based and shows that you can write essays well.

Oh good luck! Do you feel that your lack of Further maths may hinder your application?
Original post by Shumaya
Maths, Further Maths, Economics and History

that's what i took :smile:
Original post by nobbyd
Im currently in yr 11

1. Hard Work. You have to be prepared to work hard at A-level, maybe not constantly, but if you always slack around you won't get anywhere, even if you're a super-genius. Top universities will only take in people who are prepared to work hard.

2. Take A-levels that relate to Economics. A-level Economics is a good start, Maths too. Business Studies and Computer Science might be useful, but since they're not considered facilitating subjects, you'll need to do another one that is considered harder. For Economics, probably Further Maths, History or Geography, depending on what you enjoy more.

3. Hard Work.

4. Hard Work.

5. Hard Work.
(edited 8 years ago)
You need Further Maths for top unis including:

- Cambridge
- Warwick
- LSE...
Reply 14
Original post by TimGB
1. Hard Work. You have to be prepared to work hard at A-level, maybe not constantly, but if you always slack around you won't get anywhere, even if you're a super-genius. Top universities will only take in people who are prepared to work hard.

2. Take A-levels that relate to Economics. A-level Economics is a good start, maths too. Business Studies would be good, and computer science might be useful but since they're not considered facilitating subjects, you'll need to do another one that is considered harder. For Economics, probably Further Maths, History or Geography, depending on what you enjoy more.

3. Hard Work.

4. Hard Work.

5. Hard Work.

I've been told business studies and econ arent a good combination to take?
Original post by TimGB

2. Take A-levels that relate to Economics. A-level Economics is a good start, maths too. Business Studies would be good, and computer science might be useful but since they're not considered facilitating subjects, you'll need to do another one that is considered harder. For Economics, probably Further Maths, History or Geography, depending on what you enjoy more.

3. Hard Work.

4. Hard Work.

5. Hard Work.

You shouldn't do business especially if your doing economics as well.
Original post by Kholmes1
You shouldn't do business especially if your doing economics as well.

this
Reply 17
Original post by High Stakes
You need Further Maths for top unis including:

- Cambridge
- Warwick
- LSE...

Yeah im deffo doing further maths lol
Original post by nobbyd
Im currently in yr 11

Do A-Level Maths, Further Maths, any two humanities/social sciences.
Get AAAA.
Apply to top universities.
Original post by nobbyd
I've been told business studies and econ arent a good combination to take?

Business Studies is probably the closest subject to Economics, although it is often considered an easy A-level, and many students take it for that reason, or in the hope of earning more money in the future. So your class would most likely have a lot of people who aren't really too bothered which could be distracting. And as I've said it is relatively easy. But there are some crossovers between the subjects and if you follow rules 1, 3, 4 and 5 you may be able to get some useful information for an Economics course. But this is just me talking out of my ass, I didn't take A level business so I don't really know what it's like. I do know though that it's not highly regarded by many universities, and so should be taken as an extra subject/fourth A level.

Quick Reply

Latest