The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Are the universities, which have not given out all of their offers yet, waiting for the decisions of the students who have already gotten all their answers?
My rejection is officially on Track from Bristol 💔

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just checked King's apply and saw that I have an offer! :biggrin:
Original post by Sebby123456789
I have conditional offers from:
-Leeds and Newcastle for AAA
-Nottingham for A*AA.
Got rejected by Durham.
Waiting to hear from Bristol.

LNAT score: 27
AS levels: AABB
Predicted: A*AB (English, Biology, Maths)
UCAS was sent off by my institution mid December, sat the LNAT mid Jan(v late)

When did you apply and receive your response from Durham?
Reply 3084
Original post by Velvetgh0st
My rejection is officially on Track from Bristol 💔

Posted from TSR Mobile

I also got a rejection today from Bristol.
Still waiting on Durham to make up their mind, but I'm a little less hopeful now that Bristol gave me no offer.
Original post by Velvetgh0st
My rejection is officially on Track from Bristol 💔Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Anuta
I also got a rejection today from Bristol.
Still waiting on Durham to make up their mind, but I'm a little less hopeful now that Bristol gave me no offer.

Dang sorry guys :/ Bristol has been on a spree lately...

Definitely don't give up on Durham, especially if your LNAT went well.
Reply 3086
Original post by *Stefan*

Èšhank you for the kind words. I scored 30 on the LNAT, but I am an international applicant, so I'm not sure if that's enough. Fingers crossed, and thank you once more.
Original post by Anuta
Èšhank you for the kind words. I scored 30 on the LNAT, but I am an international applicant, so I'm not sure if that's enough. Fingers crossed, and thank you once more.

This is, by all means, an amazing score, and Durham has not shown to require different scores from international students (like KCL for instance which stipulates a minimum of 25).

Bristol doesn't seem to care much about the score to be honest, so it may not relate at all to how Durham works.

So yeah, best of luck and be vigilant :smile:

It is important to note the following:Both parts of the LNAT examination - the multiple choice score and the essay - are always considered by admissions selectors when assessing an application;No minimum score is required for the multiple choice part of the LNAT.

Source: https://www.dur.ac.uk/courses/info/?id=8821&title=Law&code=M101&type=LLB&year=2016#admissions

Saw this on Durham website though.
This is, by all means, an amazing score, and Durham has not shown to require different scores from international students (like KCL for instance which stipulates a minimum of 25).

Bristol doesn't seem to care much about the score to be honest, so it may not relate at all to how Durham works.

So yeah, best of luck and be vigilant :smile:

Apparently Bristol count LNAT for 25% of the total when they compare candidates, Not sure what they give for some EU students that don't have GCSEs or equivalent:
A level (or equivalent): 40%GCSEs : 20%Personal statement: 15%Additional test (LNAT): 25%
Original post by Al9121010
It is important to note the following:Both parts of the LNAT examination - the multiple choice score and the essay - are always considered by admissions selectors when assessing an application;No minimum score is required for the multiple choice part of the LNAT.

Source: https://www.dur.ac.uk/courses/info/?id=8821&title=Law&code=M101&type=LLB&year=2016#admissions

Saw this on Durham website though.

Exactly - on the other hand, KCL, Nottingham and UCL have been pretty clear on what they're looking for.

Original post by crocface
Apparently Bristol count LNAT for 25% of the total when they compare candidates, Not sure what they give for some EU students that don't have GCSEs or equivalent:
A level (or equivalent): 40%GCSEs : 20%Personal statement: 15%Additional test (LNAT): 25%

I have seen this, but it doesn't really seem to fit in what's going on. I've seen at least four people on here with 30+ getting rejections, while others with 21-22 getting offers. Obviously this is anecdotal and may still fall within those boundaries, but these outcomes along with some personal experience suggest that the LNAT score at least is not taken very seriously.

Nothing absolute of course.
Exactly - on the other hand, KCL, Nottingham and UCL have been pretty clear on what they're looking for.

I have seen this, but it doesn't really seem to fit in what's going on. I've seen at least four people on here with 30+ getting rejections, while others with 21-22 getting offers. Obviously this is anecdotal and may still fall within those boundaries, but these outcomes along with some personal experience suggest that the LNAT score at least is not taken very seriously.

Nothing absolute of course.

I agree the Bristol offers appear completely random. I have another conspiracy theory: that they have inside contacts at the other top UNIs/UCAS. If they know you have another offer from a top uni Oxbridge/LSE/UCL/Durham/Kings/Nottingham etc. they will assume you will firm this and choose them as insurance. To avoid having a lot of their offers as insurance instead of firm they don't give offers to said high achieving candidates in the first place. Thereby increasing the number of firm applicants who might be really more eager to go there as first choice.

I also believe that Elvis is working at Safeways in Bristol but that's another story.
Original post by crocface
I agree the Bristol offers appear completely random. I have another conspiracy theory: that they have inside contacts at the other top UNIs/UCAS. If they know you have another offer from a top uni Oxbridge/LSE/UCL/Durham/Kings/Nottingham etc. they will assume you will firm this and choose them as insurance. To avoid having a lot of their offers as insurance instead of firm they don't give offers to said high achieving candidates in the first place. Thereby increasing the number of firm applicants who might be really more eager to go there as first choice.

I also believe that Elvis is working at Safeways in Bristol but that's another story.

Talk about irony :laugh:
Thinking of firming newcastles offer (AAA). Would you say Newcastle is top tier for Law?
Original post by MaeC1998
Finally got my rejection email from Bristol :frown:

Hello, I'm sorry to hear about this! I'm still waiting from Bristol! I was just wondering what your lnat score was? Addittionally what GCSE's and AS grades you got? Also what are you predicted and in what subjects? Sorry again.
Original post by Tom5pence
Thinking of firming newcastles offer (AAA). Would you say Newcastle is top tier for Law?

Wouldn't say it is a TOP uni to study law as Oxbridge, London unis, Durham, Nottingham, Bristol etc. but it really is a good one. Many people from Newcastle Law School have secured their TC at MC firms as well as US firms (as it can be seen on chambers student survey).
It is a good uni where you can both study hard and have fun. As long as you take part in many extracurricular activities you stand a good chance for a TC.
As I said, NU is not top tier for law but is among the decent law schools.
Actually, I applied for Newcastle as well but will probably turn down their offer. I just don't feel it which doesn't mean it's bad.
I have an offer from Durham and will firm them and probably put Sheffield as an insurance.
I am currently struggling to decide whether to put Newcastle or Sheffield as an insurance :smile:
Hope this helped :biggrin:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bobkata
Wouldn't say it is a TOP uni to study law as Oxbridge, London unis, Durham, Nottingham, Bristol etc. but it really is a good one. Many people from Newcastle Law School have secured their TC at MC firms as well as US firms (as it can be seen on chambers student survey).
It is a good uni where you can both study hard and have fun. As long as you take part in many extracurricular activities you stand a good chance for a TC.
As I said, NU is not top tier for law but is among the decent law schools.
Actually, I applied for Newcastle as well but will probably turn down their offer. I just don't feel it which doesn't mean it's bad.
I have an offer from Durham and will firm them and probably put Sheffield as an insurance.
I am currently struggling to decide whether to put Newcastle or Sheffield as an insurance :smile:
Hope this helped :biggrin:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Sounds promising! Its funny, I actually want to go into screenwriting but I find law such an interesting subject, that It would be a suitable back up degree :smile: So I dont necessarily need to go to oxbridge, but It would be amazing to get into a magic circle firm! Do many newcastle graduates go into MC firms?
Original post by mattlally
I applied early December, got AABC and predicted A*AA. Still waiting on Nottingham, Bristol and Warwick!

Good luck! :smile: Where do you hold offers for?
Original post by ds1998
Just checked King's apply and saw that I have an offer! :biggrin:

Bump! Only I found out an hour ago! I just screamed! How exciting!! I officially have all my offers!

Durham
UCL
Kings
Exeter's my insurance!!

I feel SO much better! Especially as I withdrew my application from Oxford! But this is a fantastic boost, especially in the middle of Mock week when motivation atarts to flail!!

Is it your firm?
Original post by 09owenss
Hello, I'm sorry to hear about this! I'm still waiting from Bristol! I was just wondering what your lnat score was? Addittionally what GCSE's and AS grades you got? Also what are you predicted and in what subjects? Sorry again.

I got 31 on the lnat and applied on the 14th of October, took my lnat in late September. Got 1 a star, 5 a's and 5 b's at GCSE and 2 a's and 2 b's at AS level. Im predicted three A's in philosophy and ethics, government and politics and psychology and have offers from Nottingham and Sheffield.
Hope this is helpful for you and good luck :smile:

Latest