The Student Room Group

2nd Mar: Have you ever had a sober night out?

Scroll to see replies

deffo need alcohol
Well I would say it depends on the one hand on who you are with; your firends or people you don't know.. but when all your friends are drunk and you're the one that's not its a bit annoying .. have done it though when I had to drive..
And for me, a little bit of alcohol - a pint or two are enough - just make it easier to connect to people I don't know yet and to make conversation - which makes a houseparty a lot nicer haha
And on the other hand it depends on where you and your friends are heading. Clubbing and being sober is really weird. And also I discovered that our local club actually is really disgusting. Everything - literally! - is sticky and all the other drunk people are annoying - things you don't really notice when you drank something.
But just a night in the pub is totally fine when sober.
Reply 22
Original post by BBC Radio 1
This week on The Surgery with Gemma & Dr Radha we’re talking about alcohol.

Do you need alcohol to have a good time? Have you ever felt pressured to drink?And is binge drinking worth the hangover and embarrassing stories? Tell us what you think on here!

Just to let you know that you can post anonymously in this forum!

I have never, but my friend has and he said its a completely different experience, not really as fun.
I've never had a night out.
never had a sober night out because never had a night out at all in the first place =)
Last time I went "out" (if you can call it that) I didn't drink anything.
Reply 26
Yes, it was barely enjoyable. Had two or three drinks over the space of a whole night out as I was driving home (last minute "yolo" moment to come out after a house party)

The club was sweaty, people can't dance as well as they think, and it's loud. Oh so loud.

Never again shall one enter a club without being most intoxicated.
This week on The Surgery with Gemma & Dr Radha we’re talking about alcohol.

Do you need alcohol to have a good time? Have you ever felt pressured to drink?And is binge drinking worth the hangover and embarrassing stories? Tell us what you think on here!

Just to let you know that you can post anonymously in this forum!

Tbh i find sober nights out are boring as **** ...you don't need alcohol to have a good time, but it can really help you crack out of ur shell quicker in my opinion, espc if ur an introvert...which then makes nights out 100% better.
I dont know about binge drinking though, im mot much of a binge drinker
Nope
I've had about 5 - 6 sober nights out. Terrible, every single one.

I try not to think about 'having fun' or anything like that. It just happens if the vibe is right.
Reply 30
I've had a few sober nights. But most of the time it just makes me realize how annoying other drunk people are when you are not drunk yourself. Also i have a better experience 80% of the time when I'm under the influence
Yeah it wouldn't bother me.

The experience that sealed it for me was one time when I was in massive pain with an abscess in my tooth, I went to the emergency dentist and he drained it open and packed me full of antibiotics and said don't drink alcohol with these. When I was on my way home from the dentists I was texting my mate saying how much better I felt now the pain had gone and he was like "cool well we're on our way out so if you feel up to it meet us in town?". I was on soda and limes and diet coke all night but it was one of my best ever nights out at uni - partly because I was in such a good mood given the relief at the pain having gone after draining the abscess and also it was just a really good night when the vibe was right, we went somewhere I'd never been before, the music was good, we met some really interesting people.

Then the next day when we were talking about it some of my mates were like "oh I dunno how you managed it lol, I would never have managed to go through a whole night without drinking" but I was like eh....it never bothered me. They were saying stuff like "yeah if you're on antibiotics you end up throwing up all night if you drink but better than than be sober lol" but I cba with making myself sick. I think if you have that mentality then it's a sign of something lacking really.

Since then I've never been bothered about having soberish nights out, if I get invited to something midweek when I'm at work, and I know I'll have to be up early, I'll go but not really drink as I can't afford the hangover, and it doesn't bother me.
Do you need alcohol to have a good time?

No, because I'm not socially inept. I've gone on many a night out without drinking and had a great night (though I've drunken on more NGL).
Reply 33
Original post by SP0TIFY
Yes, it was barely enjoyable. Had two or three drinks over the space of a whole night out as I was driving home (last minute "yolo" moment to come out after a house party)

The club was sweaty, people can't dance as well as they think, and it's loud. Oh so loud.

Never again shall one enter a club without being most intoxicated.

Intoxicated ignorance is bliss eh? :tongue:
Original post by easyaspirsquared
I am currently 4 months into a 6 month roaccutane treatment, so haven't been drinking when i've been out for the last 4 months, and honestly, its been bad. When all your mates are drinking I do think you pretty much have to drink to have a lot of fun, but it's not as bad if you have a sober friend too.

How are you finding the roaccutane? My best friend is on it at the moment, she had a yearly course and her skin's pretty much flawless now!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am nearly 17 and never been to a House Party because the friends I hung out with were never into that. However recently I am around people who love parties and alcohol, and although I haven't been invited to one yet, the idea of being around people who are drunk and who would pressure me to drink is not a nice image.

To be honest I think being drunk just means you don't remember the fun you had and end up being sick everywhere so is definitely not for me.
Original post by tinkerbelle2
How are you finding the roaccutane? My best friend is on it at the moment, she had a yearly course and her skin's pretty much flawless now!

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah its fine! the standard side effects are pretty heavy and i feel pretty damn run down but the results are remarkable and its not been nearly as bad for me as everyone makes it out to be!:smile:
Original post by Anonymous

To be honest I think being drunk just means you don't remember the fun you had and end up being sick everywhere so is definitely not for me.

There's a reasonably big difference between somewhat drunk and getting to the state where you literally lose chunks of time/are throwing your guts up.
Yes! I don't drink not for religious reasons I just don't need it, always have a good time anyway.
yes as i was the driver for the night, and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be

Quick Reply

Latest