The Student Room Group

Anyone scared for how much Student finance they can get?

It looks like I won't get much over the basic amount (parents earn 38000) and I'm stressed out to the max, I'm going to be getting £2000-£1500 less than my rent with no money to live on. I'm going to have to earn £3000 over the summer and still get a job whilst I'm at uni just to be able to eat. I'm seriously stressed and don't even know if I can continue to afford university.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AdorableDrip
It looks like I won't get much over the basic amount (parents earn 38000) and I'm stressed out to the max, I'm going to be getting £2000-£1500 less than my rent with no money to live on. I'm going to have to earn £3000 over the summer and still get a job whilst I'm at uni just to be able to eat. I'm seriously stressed and don't even know if I can continue to afford university.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm more stressed about how long it's going to take to pay off . . .

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Edminzodo
I'm more stressed about how long it's going to take to pay off . . .

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your more worried about paying off something that the government wipes off rather than affording to eat? Umok

Posted from TSR Mobile
Your more worried about paying off something that the government wipes off rather than affording to eat? Umok

Posted from TSR Mobile

Does your university offer scholarships etc? They could be helpful to you.

And it's still 30 years of debt. I just worry a lot.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Edminzodo
Does your university offer scholarships etc? They could be helpful to you.

And it's still 30 years of debt. I just worry a lot.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, if my parents earn less than 25K a year, which they clearly don't else I wouldn't need extra money 🔫

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is a pretty normal situation, I really wouldn't worry about it! I guarantee you that most people you meet at uni will have a part time job of some kind.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Your parents should give you the money you aren't getting from the government.
Original post by tommb84

Explain how they can afford to give me and brother and sister 3K each! a term! To make up for the shortfall!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Explain how they can afford to give me and brother and sister 3K each! a term! To make up for the shortfall!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You'll get about £6700 maintenance loan (if you're living away from home outside of London), which is £1500 less than full entitlement. It sucks, I know, and if I had it my way education would be free for all at the point of entry. I'm not going to pretend to know the ins and outs of your parents income, but the government will and they believe that your parents earn enough to "top up" your loan by £1.5k for the year.

My advice would defo be speak with your parents, also enquire if the university you're going to gives out bursaries, and consider part time employment. I'll be working part time, one shift a week on the weekends, which will top my annual income up by about £2.5k. Also consider where you will be living, if you can find cheaper accommodation go for that instead.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 9
You have no idea. I'm EU national and EU students don't get maintenance loans but as EU national, you can get them if you are counted as 'home' student.

Everyone's saying I should get it but I couldn't do my application online because of it, so need to wait like 6 weeks to find out if I actually do :frown:

Don't trust it either cause everyone was saying I should get income support but I ended up basically homeless for almost 4 months because in the end they figured I had to have worked for 3 months before I could get it...
Original post by tommb84
You'll get about £6700 maintenance loan (if you're living away from home outside of London), which is £1500 less than full entitlement. It sucks, I know, and if I had it my way education would be free for all at the point of entry. I'm not going to pretend to know the ins and outs of your parents income, but the government will and they believe that your parents earn enough to "top up" your loan by £1.5k for the year.

My advice would defo be speak with your parents, also enquire if the university you're going to gives out bursaries, and consider part time employment. I'll be working part time, one shift a week on the weekends, which will top my annual income up by about £2.5k. Also consider where you will be living, if you can find cheaper accommodation go for that instead.

Good luck :smile:

I'm getting that now studying IN London, so I'm going to get less than 5K when I transfer outside of London.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm getting that now studying IN London, so I'm going to get less than 5K when I transfer outside of London.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What are you studying towards in London? Is that where you live? Are you living with your parents?

The cost of living outside of London is a lot less. You will get more than £5k a year in maintenance loans.
Original post by tommb84
What are you studying towards in London? Is that where you live? Are you living with your parents?

The cost of living outside of London is a lot less. You will get more than £5k a year in maintenance loans.

I'm doing my foundation year. I'm living in halls. I come from Devon.

I'm aware it is, but this year the minimum guaranteed loan is £3800 (roughly) and then it's needs assessed up to £2800 on top of that. I'm not going to get anywhere near the maximum amount.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm doing my foundation year. I'm living in halls. I come from Devon.

I'm aware it is, but this year the minimum guaranteed loan is £3800 (roughly) and then it's needs assessed up to £2800 on top of that. I'm not going to get anywhere near the maximum amount.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Surely you're getting more than £6,700 living inside of London? That doesn't sound right to me at all. You should defo get about £6,700 if next year your course is outside London, even more if you're remaining in London. Try the finance calculator they have on the student finance website, that gives your roughly what you should be getting. Hope it works out for you.
Original post by tommb84

Not always that easy man. I'm running a £1000/year deficit despite even working a part time job, and my parents don't see it as their responsibility. The loan system is pretty abysmal (though not quite America abysmal).
Original post by spleenharvester
Not always that easy man. I'm running a £1000/year deficit despite even working a part time job, and my parents don't see it as their responsibility. The loan system is pretty abysmal (though not quite America abysmal).

That really sucks. Sorry to hear that. Do you mean you're getting £1k less than full entitlement? It's hard to see how a situation like yours could be put right other than scrapping means testing, which isn't that bad an idea seeing as we have to pay it all back (maybe) anyway!
Original post by tommb84
Surely you're getting more than £6,700 living inside of London? That doesn't sound right to me at all. You should defo get about £6,700 if next year your course is outside London, even more if you're remaining in London. Try the finance calculator they have on the student finance website, that gives your roughly what you should be getting. Hope it works out for you.

The calculator is useless last year it said I'd get 2K more than what I actually ended up getting

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by spleenharvester

My parents never went to uni and they see it as MY investment into MY future, so I can see why they don't really want to shed out money when it won't effect them in any way other than being able to maybe brag if I get a good job and they can have nice Christmas presents haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
The calculator is useless last year it said I'd get 2K more than what I actually ended up getting

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe this guide at UCAS will convince you that you will be getting only £1.5k less than kids with parents on low incomes?

https://www.ucas.com/connect/blogs/changes-maintenance-grants-and-loans
My parents never went to uni and they see it as MY investment into MY future, so I can see why they don't really want to shed out money when it won't effect them in any way other than being able to maybe brag if I get a good job and they can have nice Christmas presents haha

But it is still not our fault that the government expects them to pay up. There is nothing someone studying 60 hours a week and not earning can do about that situation.

Original post by tommb84
That really sucks. Sorry to hear that. Do you mean you're getting £1k less than full entitlement? It's hard to see how a situation like yours could be put right other than scrapping means testing, which isn't that bad an idea seeing as we have to pay it all back (maybe) anyway!

Thanks man. I get £4800/year maintenance (corrected in edit), which doesn't cover my rent - £1500/year from part time, which barely covers food and bills, with about £1200 left over unaccounted for at the end of the year. My university's financial assistance fund won't help me because I work part time.

I've always believed means-testing needs scrapping - you only have to visit the more expensive halls to see the effect it has. There's a juxtaposition between people whose parents are very well off and can pay for everything, and those from incredibly poor backgrounds who are getting the full £8200 maintenance loan. It's quite a bizarre thing to behold!
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending