The Student Room Group

AS English Literature AQA (B) - Aspects of Tragedy

Hello :smile:
I basically thought I'd start this discussion for anyone doing aspects of tragedy as part of AS Eng. Lit. because I haven't found anyone else on here doing it yet. So what texts are you doing?

I'm doing:
The Great Gatsby (F. Scott Fitzgerald)
King Lear (Shakespeare)
Death of a Salesman (Arthur Miller)
Poems by Keats

Even if you're not doing any of these but you're doing the tragedy genre feel free to reply☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

I'm doing Great Gatsby, death of a salesman, othello and Thomas hardy poetry. Absolutely love the course but the essays are so hard !! :frown:
Reply 2
Original post by bethanylunn1999
I'm doing Great Gatsby, death of a salesman, othello and Thomas hardy poetry. Absolutely love the course but the essays are so hard !! :frown:

Yeah same, I love studying the texts themselves but linking it to tragedy seems hard and pointless!😂🙈
Original post by sammymiller
Yeah same, I love studying the texts themselves but linking it to tragedy seems hard and pointless!😂🙈
yeah particularly as i would personally say that the death of a salesman isn't a tragedy as wildly brought the whole thing upon himself. which means i feel very little sympathy for him at all
Reply 4
yeah particularly as i would personally say that the death of a salesman isn't a tragedy as wildly brought the whole thing upon himself. which means i feel very little sympathy for him at all

Yeah I totally agree, it's not really a tragedy at all because there's no tragic hero/villain (unless you class them both as Willy?), there's no tragic enlightenment or change in fortune or literally any aspect of tragedy😂 it's going to be so hard to do that essay in the exam😁
We're doing Othello, Death of a Salesman, The Great Gatsby and Keats
Original post by mindfulLA

what do you think of the texts ?? :biggrin:
Doing the comedy strand but I'd probably prefer tragedy...!
what do you think of the texts ?? :biggrin:

I'm really enjoying them, however for the exam I'm a bit scared for Death of a Salesman just because we need to memorise quotes and I feel like I've forgotten a bit of what we've learned lol
I'm really enjoying them, however for the exam I'm a bit scared for Death of a Salesman just because we need to memorise quotes and I feel like I've forgotten a bit of what we've learned lol

Could you help me with Keats at all?? I'm actually DYING. We could compare notes??
Original post by Chris-Graham
Could you help me with Keats at all?? I'm actually DYING. We could compare notes??

I'm doing Keats too - happy to share notes :smile:
i'm doing keats too - happy to share notes :smile:

you're a god
you're a god

Haha!! Do you have kik? Could explain different things on there and send each other annotations if possible? :smile:
Haha!! Do you have kik? Could explain different things on there and send each other annotations if possible? :smile:

What's kik :colonhash:

Same.

I flippin' hate Lit. I suck so hard at it. It's not going well. I haven't even read the texts. I mean, we've done quite a bit in class and I know the story to an extent, but I haven't read it myself.

I think I'm improving, but it's really hard. Othello is alright I think, because the questions are the same all the time, and Gatsby's not bad either.

But I haven't even done a single essay on Death of a Salesman! And only done one on Keats.

Ugggggh.

I really want an A, but Lit just doesn't suit me. There's very little content to revise, unlike History & Politics. And revising content is my strongest attribute, since I have a very good memory.

It means he wants to ****.
Original post by Abstract_Prism

WHAT :puke:

It's a messaging app I just thought it would be easier to send notes and stuff across on there...
Or not. Idc. I was just trying to be NICE and help someone out by sharing my notes, but apparently no one else can understand that?! Which says more about them than me tbh so whatever.
Original post by Abstract_Prism

Um no. 1) I'm female so that would be 'she'
2) no. I was actually just trying to help someone who was struggling with English literature because I enjoy it and I want to go into teaching to help educate people. But obviously you can't understand the idea of helping someone because you assume all anyone wants to do is "****". But that says more about you than me.
PS. I use Kik a lot to talk to my friends and help people with school work - I guess it's only you who uses it to "****".
It's a messaging app I just thought it would be easier to send notes and stuff across on there...
Or not. Idc. I was just trying to be NICE and help someone out by sharing my notes, but apparently no one else can understand that?! Which says more about them than me tbh so whatever.

I'm very appreciative :O I just wasn't sure what it was that's all, I'm a bit stupid ahah

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending