The Student Room Group

My Road to A* everywhere

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nobbyd
In year 11 too! Can you send pics of your revision for german/ geograpy/history? thanks

Great to hear from you - at weekend, I'm going to post loads of updates for my revision with pictures - and by then I will have got my mock results so I'll do a big update then - if that's ok with you? :smile:
Reply 321
Original post by brainzistheword
Great to hear from you - at weekend, I'm going to post loads of updates for my revision with pictures - and by then I will have got my mock results so I'll do a big update then - if that's ok with you? :smile:

Awesome idrm no rush lol :smile:
All those A's are fantastic still! And well done on the 100% in IT, shame about the project work though :-P

How did you find GCSE - was it very difficult for you or did you just feel confident about it?

They're pretty good considering the most revision I did was reading the textbook on my 10 minute walk to the exam from home :P Disappointed that I didn't do the work to get A*'s to brag about though.

Generally I found everything quite easy, which I guess might be natural talent of sorts. I wouldn't say I was confident, more like just lucky and good at doing the bare minimum? The hardest subject for me was maths, which I had never been good at or tried before, but I think for GCSE if you just put in even a little time to revise and don't cram then anyone can get A*.

It's definitely worth doing because the jump to A-level is huge, so having solid foundations makes that easier as well as giving you more choice over what subjects you do. For example I had to take Use of Maths rather than Maths because of my B grade at GCSE.
Original post by Asiimov
They're pretty good considering the most revision I did was reading the textbook on my 10 minute walk to the exam from home :P Disappointed that I didn't do the work to get A*'s to brag about though.

Generally I found everything quite easy, which I guess might be natural talent of sorts. I wouldn't say I was confident, more like just lucky and good at doing the bare minimum? The hardest subject for me was maths, which I had never been good at or tried before, but I think for GCSE if you just put in even a little time to revise and don't cram then anyone can get A*.

It's definitely worth doing because the jump to A-level is huge, so having solid foundations makes that easier as well as giving you more choice over what subjects you do. For example I had to take Use of Maths rather than Maths because of my B grade at GCSE.

They are very good if that's all the revision you did!

I don't know if my grades are through talent - because I always end up studying anyways. To be honest, maths is one of the easiest for me at GCSE and doing past papers is all I seem to do.

I understand what you are on about with A-levels because everyone says there is a big jump, so I really want to be as prepared as possible so I don't disappoint, but it is difficult to maintain the motivation :redface:
They are very good if that's all the revision you did!

I don't know if my grades are through talent - because I always end up studying anyways. To be honest, maths is one of the easiest for me at GCSE and doing past papers is all I seem to do.

I understand what you are on about with A-levels because everyone says there is a big jump, so I really want to be as prepared as possible so I don't disappoint, but it is difficult to maintain the motivation :redface:

Thank you :smile: It doesn't really matter how you do it, someone who has natural ability can be beaten by someone who maybe isn't so good but puts a lot of effort into revision and practice.

I know what you mean about motivation, like right now I should be doing project work and revising for Physics, but here I am :P
Original post by Asiimov
Thank you :smile: It doesn't really matter how you do it, someone who has natural ability can be beaten by someone who maybe isn't so good but puts a lot of effort into revision and practice.

I know what you mean about motivation, like right now I should be doing project work and revising for Physics, but here I am :P

Exactly - and same here, I'm supposed to be writing my German homework but writing about Stephen Hawking and his theories in German is not the easiest of things :biggrin:
My Mock Exams started today. I am really fatigued after 4 hours of my 5 hours in School today were exams. I had English language and History Paper 1 today. I think English went pretty well but i think i screwed up on The American West so it does not look good. I guess i need to try even harder on paper 2 now so i can redeem myself. Tomorrow is Maths Paper 1.
Original post by ibte10
My Mock Exams started today. I am really fatigued after 4 hours of my 5 hours in School today were exams. I had English language and History Paper 1 today. I think English went pretty well but i think i screwed up on The American West so it does not look good. I guess i need to try even harder on paper 2 now so i can redeem myself. Tomorrow is Maths Paper 1.

Aw I hope you can re-energise before tomorrow. Is it just the one Maths paper tomorrow? Sometimes you only remember the bits you did wrong in exams and focus on them, so you feel as though it went wrong - when it might not have done (you may surprise yourself). Just do your best and remember they are mocks so the more you mess up now, the less likely you are to do it in the real thing - as you have had more time to correct the mistakes and practice everything.

Good luck, I wish you all the best with them. Keep me updated how you are getting on and if you need help just ask! :smile:
Aw I hope you can re-energise before tomorrow. Is it just the one Maths paper tomorrow? Sometimes you only remember the bits you did wrong in exams and focus on them, so you feel as though it went wrong - when it might not have done (you may surprise yourself). Just do your best and remember they are mocks so the more you mess up now, the less likely you are to do it in the real thing - as you have had more time to correct the mistakes and practice everything.

Good luck, I wish you all the best with them. Keep me updated how you are getting on and if you need help just ask! :smile:

Yes thankfully just the one paper tomorrow. Yes Mocks are an opportunity to spot errors which can be focused on. Thanks for your support and i will keep you updated for sure..
UPDATE FOR 29/02/16

So toady I have:

Written some paragraphs in German on my chosen celebrity

UPDATE

Today I would like to achieve the following:

Attend the history revision class after school

Finish translating some more German

Complete 1 or 2 of the online aptitude tests I need to do for an apprenticeship

Do Geography revision for a test next week (Coasts)

Original post by NiamhM1801
When's your German assessment? Bit mean having one of your weeks taken up by mocks though :s-smilie:
Mine was yesterday, so glad it's over! :biggrin:

Hi again - I've got a date for my German assessment

It's on my birthday (29th of this month) which should be interesting. :dance:

How's all your revision going? :smile:
Hi again - I've got a date for my German assessment

It's on my birthday (29th of this month) which should be interesting. :dance:

How's all your revision going? :smile:

Woah, you get over a month!? We were only ever allowed 2 weeks (we had 3 for this one because of half term though)

Also way to put a dampener on your birthday :frown:

And unfortunately my spirits have been so down and I've been feeling so low recently that I haven't actually done any revision or homework since half term (other than my German assessment) so my teachers love me :frown:
Woah, you get over a month!? We were only ever allowed 2 weeks (we had 3 for this one because of half term though)

Also way to put a dampener on your birthday :frown:

And unfortunately my spirits have been so down and I've been feeling so low recently that I haven't actually done any revision or homework since half term (other than my German assessment) so my teachers love me :frown:

We've not been given the question yet, just been doing odd bits of writing for it but yeah we get a long time.

I'm sorry to hear you have been down - is there anything I can do to help? :smile:
Oh I see, we just do all the work and do longer pieces of writing for homework, then get given the question and the deadline is 2 weeks from then, so I guess it's quite similar :tongue:

And no, it's just my self-belief has hit the floor because I'm so nervous for the exams. However as its a new month I am trying my best to pick myself back up and start fresh, so hopefully things will go back to norms soon :smile:

Thank you though, and good luck for the 29th (even though it's 4 weeks away :tongue:)
Oh I see, we just do all the work and do longer pieces of writing for homework, then get given the question and the deadline is 2 weeks from then, so I guess it's quite similar :tongue:

And no, it's just my self-belief has hit the floor because I'm so nervous for the exams. However as its a new month I am trying my best to pick myself back up and start fresh, so hopefully things will go back to norms soon :smile:

Thank you though, and good luck for the 29th (even though it's 4 weeks away :tongue:)

Ah yes that's very similar to what we do. :biggrin:

And nerves are a pain in the backside when it comes to motivation. You'll do realy well, I'm sure, so worry less, work more :tongue: (although I know it's easier said than done).

Thank you and I hope you get back to normal soon, so let me know if you need anything :smile:
Today i had Maths Paper 1 and it was a quite straightforward paper. I think i got at least 75 marks out of 100; hopefully the calculator paper is not too difficult. Also, tomorrow have Geography Paper 2. Do you do Edexcel for Geography? I am looking for a website that has some notes on the topics.
Original post by ibte10
Today i had Maths Paper 1 and it was a quite straightforward paper. I think i got at least 75 marks out of 100; hopefully the calculator paper is not too difficult. Also, tomorrow have Geography Paper 2. Do you do Edexcel for Geography? I am looking for a website that has some notes on the topics.

That's good to hear! And hopefully it's not too difficult on the calculator one - which exam board do you do and which papers are you sitting?

I do AQA for Geography unfortunately. Which topics do you study?
Just a piece of advice that might not be relevant right now, any opportunities you get to extra-curricular stuff even if its small, you should take. Like NCS, DofE etc. Any talks or lectures around subjects you like too :smile:
That's good to hear! And hopefully it's not too difficult on the calculator one - which exam board do you do and which papers are you sitting?

I do AQA for Geography unfortunately. Which topics do you study?

Well Paper 2 is about People and the Planet. Topics include Tourism, Development, Globalization, MEDCS and LEDCs and a few more topics.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending