The Student Room Group

AS/A level- coping with pressure and getting the high grades.

Hi everyone, I'm getting to that point in the year when end of year exams are visible on the horizon and pressure is starting to build, and its come to a boiling point with me. At gcse's i did very well, achieving 5 A*'s and 7 A's, which i was so proud of. I came to college, being given high target grades based of my gcse's and from september to january i was on target and felt happy. However, after a disappointing set of mock results I've had a knock to my confidence, now worry is setting in about not doing well and failing. If i hadn't done much revision for mocks i could understand where the problem was but i did at least a bit everyday, re writing notes, reciting phrases and doing some past papers. My end goal is to go to uni to study veterinary, which require high A level grades of AAA (the lowest I've seen is AAB) and with my current mock results I'm not feeling very confident. Any fellow A level students or veterinary students who have been through the same thing who want to comment would be greatly appreciated.
Nastassja
Reply 1
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by SSUCL
Everyone has been through this road... Just down on the individual if he/she can endure the amount of pressure because from the start of March till June is going to be a very big hill especially if you're doing A2.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The good thing about it though is that it does end eventually, its not there forever, luckily I'm only doing AS levels at the moment but i dread to think what A2 is like.
I think the key is to not get worried - I'm in a similar situation with good GCSEs and now an offer of A*AA to go to my dream uni. Your grades will change a lot from your mocks as you start to understand things better - I've got to get my maths core 3 from a D in my mock to an A, but the more work I do the better I get. Keep at your revision, and practice papers are really the best thing you can do - if you're doing mostly sciences, I found there was a big difference in exam technique for A level than there was for GCSE. Don't stress about it, put in the hard work and get extra help from teachers etc if you need it and you'll be fine! Good luck!
Reply 4
Oh, I'm mistaken. AS shouldn't be too much of a hurdle and I've been through the same situation where mock exam results puts you off, but you know what, that's what kept me going somehow. I always kept targets to improve myself and to build my knowledge in a particular subject and ended up doing good in exams.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just don't give up. Use that pressure as a driving force to try your best for these exams.
I mean really try. Just because you have done badly in mocks doesn't mean you are going to get those grades in the summer.
Maybe take some days to relax and think about your future and what you want to achieve in life.

I hate pressure but at the same it brings the best out of me academically.
Whilst I worry to the point where I will cry with fear that I will do badly in exams and not live up to my expectations, I don't ever once think that I cannot turn it around. I know I can turn it around because pressure and worry works wonders on me.
But obviously everyone is different and only you know what you are capable of. Just as long as you don't lose sight of your end goal no matter how far away it feels.
Original post by tryingandfailing
I think the key is to not get worried - I'm in a similar situation with good GCSEs and now an offer of A*AA to go to my dream uni. Your grades will change a lot from your mocks as you start to understand things better - I've got to get my maths core 3 from a D in my mock to an A, but the more work I do the better I get. Keep at your revision, and practice papers are really the best thing you can do - if you're doing mostly sciences, I found there was a big difference in exam technique for A level than there was for GCSE. Don't stress about it, put in the hard work and get extra help from teachers etc if you need it and you'll be fine! Good luck!

Thank you! This has actually made me feel a bit better:smile:
Original post by Pentaquark
Just don't give up. Use that pressure as a driving force to try your best for these exams.
I mean really try. Just because you have done badly in mocks doesn't mean you are going to get those grades in the summer.
Maybe take some days to relax and think about your future and what you want to achieve in life.

I hate pressure but at the same it brings the best out of me academically.
Whilst I worry to the point where I will cry with fear that I will do badly in exams and not live up to my expectations, I don't ever once think that I cannot turn it around. I know I can turn it around because pressure and worry works wonders on me.
But obviously everyone is different and only you know what you are capable of. Just as long as you don't lose sight of your end goal no matter how far away it feels.

Just got to keep at it 💪🏼 I think everything works out in the end 😼

Quick Reply

Latest