The Student Room Group

12 mark essay nightmare

Ok, so here it is. Really just like some advice, as I am a little lost with all of this. In my psychology classes I have been struggling, so I search the web and found what seems a legit site that sells psychology essays. Cheap enough, bought it. So the story unravels, copied a few of these essays which are said to be A grade full mark essays. This morning I get three of my essays back after nearly four weeks of waiting, half term aswell, and two are grade B and one has just scrapped an A grade! I feel ripped off. To make things worse, I questioned my teachers and both are examiners for AQA A, and they said they are good essays but i have quite a few areas to improve!! I feel like I should get a refund! Isn't it false advertising??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RodneyRaver
Ok, so here it is. Really just like some advice, as I am a little lost with all of this. In my psychology classes I have been struggling, so I search the web and found what seems a legit site that sells psychology essays. Cheap enough, bought it. So the story unravels, copied a few of these essays which are said to be A grade full mark essays. This morning I get three of my essays back after nearly four weeks of waiting, half term aswell, and two are grade B and one has just scrapped an A grade! I feel ripped off. To make things worse, I questioned my teachers and both are examiners for AQA A, and they said they are good essays but i have quite a few areas to improve!! I feel like I should get a refund! Isn't it false advertising??

It's against the rules of academia to submit work that is not your own. The lack of skills you are developing here will come back and bite you later on so just don't do it.
Reply 2

This is a stupid idea. Don't pass off other essays as your own. You aren't learning anything. Get yourself an A and don't be pissed that someone else couldn't do it for you.
Reply 3
I'm basically just iterating what's already been said, but do the ****ing essays yourself man.
Reply 4
I understand where you guys are coming from, but I AM REVISING from these so called 12 mark essays and yes is was bad to hand them in as my own but it was the onnly way to see what grade they really were. I struggle alot of psychology and need extra help but i just don't know whats best. Do annny of you do Psychology?
The 12 markers are really not hard if you follow PEEL and have equal AO1 and AO3
Reply 6
Yes I have been trying peel but always have problems with my a03, which is usually 2/3 out of 6. I want to study geography and at the minute psychology and media are going horrendous for me. I ts gettinng me proper down
Reply 7
But also, right or wrong of me, should a website selling these essays be allowed to? There are thousands of likes etc so I thought this must be a legit site. Should i not report this site?
well first, essay marks can vary depending on the examiner. maybe you should take a look at the aqa psych essay mark schemes - they're basically a checklist for what you need to include to get full marks! a lot more useful than revising off pre-written essays, and they're free :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by electrahearts
well first, essay marks can vary depending on the examiner. maybe you should take a look at the aqa psych essay mark schemes - they're basically a checklist for what you need to include to get full marks! a lot more useful than revising off pre-written essays, and they're free :smile:

Thanks electra definitely will do. Thanks for all your help guys! Definitely not buying anymorw essays and will warn my class aswell about not wasting time and money doing so
I understand where you guys are coming from, but I AM REVISING from these so called 12 mark essays and yes is was bad to hand them in as my own but it was the onnly way to see what grade they really were. I struggle alot of psychology and need extra help but i just don't know whats best. Do annny of you do Psychology?

To truly revise from it you should have read through it, and written it in your own words. If you get a bad grade, learn from the feedback your teacher gave you. Copying from others will prove a huge mistake in personal statements, university work and coursework. I've never copied anything, and failed a year BUT I learned from it.

I do Psychology and have done AQA at AS but now do OCR.
Thanks. Wise words. This site is really helpful. I spent this evening writinf out teo essays and feel a lot better for doing it myself. Stull dont know gow good it is. Ocr! Whsts it like. Both my teachers say that ocr is a lot more challening that aqa a and thsts why they dont choose it for their students. Thoughts?
Hello guys, as the Psychology is a new spec this year there is bound to be disagreement between different people (teachers, even examiners!) about the marks that an essay is worth, especially the longer essays. 12 mark answers from previous years just won't cut it anymore for full marks. If you are focusing on evaluation, then make sure not only that you are following the PEEL structure (we use PEEE in my class) but also that your evaluation point is exclusive to what you the question asks you to evaluate, no more "Ecological Validity" or "Unethical" unless you link it clearly to the study, concept or theory. You could technically get full marks with two detailed paragraphs, but I would always play it safe and go for three. Also, don't describe other studies in detail in your evaluation, you should only ever mention the name of the experimenter (or a very very brief description of the procedure) and say the findings and conclusions, virtually all of the marks come from explaining how the evidence supports or contradicts what you are evaluating... or at least that's my perception of Evaluating in psychology - good luck!
Thanks. Wise words. This site is really helpful. I spent this evening writinf out teo essays and feel a lot better for doing it myself. Stull dont know gow good it is. Ocr! Whsts it like. Both my teachers say that ocr is a lot more challening that aqa a and thsts why they dont choose it for their students. Thoughts?

No problem :smile: If it's not as good as you feel it could be, ask your teacher if they will go through it with you and explain how to improve - it's what they're there for and I cannot stress how useful it was for me to sit down with my Film teacher and go through an essay.

OCR I actually found easier than AQA at AS - the structure of the exam was a lot simpler and there was waaay less theory to revise (you did models of memory and theories of attachment etc, right?). I went from an E with AQA to a high B with OCR which I was thrilled with. A2 is absolutely horrific - 54 studies or something stupid like that! I just have to get a middle C to have an overall B which I don't think is too unrealistic.
(edited 8 years ago)
I don't believe one word.
Emilou you do talk some sense. I guess its out of our hands but you are lucky to be able to see both boards. Wow. Aqa has way too many studies!

That willpsych sounds like the 28 dimlow selling essays for aqa a... hi i took an a level at age 28 and got a top grade! I was so stupid to buy into his rubbish. Lets seem him sit this new specificatoon and see how he does, if he uses his own essays he wont be doing that well!
Original post by WillPsych
Hello guys, as the Psychology is a new spec this year there is bound to be disagreement between different people (teachers, even examiners!) about the marks that an essay is worth, especially the longer essays. 12 mark answers from previous years just won't cut it anymore for full marks. If you are focusing on evaluation, then make sure not only that you are following the PEEL structure (we use PEEE in my class) but also that your evaluation point is exclusive to what you the question asks you to evaluate, no more "Ecological Validity" or "Unethical" unless you link it clearly to the study, concept or theory. You could technically get full marks with two detailed paragraphs, but I would always play it safe and go for three. Also, don't describe other studies in detail in your evaluation, you should only ever mention the name of the experimenter (or a very very brief description of the procedure) and say the findings and conclusions, virtually all of the marks come from explaining how the evidence supports or contradicts what you are evaluating... or at least that's my perception of Evaluating in psychology - good luck!

Hi saj
Thanks for your rubbish essays. Master of bs. Its easy to take pictures or posts of 1 out of every 100 that does well and take credit for it but you are a disgrace to teachers like mine and professionals in the trade. You give students false hope.

Never again

Rodney
Reply 17
You shouldn't have been cheating in the first place, which is what plagiarism is (you can get kicked out of uni for this one and lose all fee money). If you are foolish enough to spend time trying to get someone else's work, instead of spending that time actually studying, then really shows how silly you are and no you don't deserve a refund at all, as it serves you right.

I am also an examiner for AQA and can very easily tell if a student's work is theirs or not. I suspect your teachers were able to do the same and are pretty annoyed you wasted their precious marking time with work that was not your own. I should think they suspected it was not your, but were unable to accuse without evidence, therefore they did what they could do and gave you the benefit of the doubt, but also giving you some advice on how you could improve your own performance in a very diplomatic way.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 18
OCR is just a different format from other A levels on the market, but it really is not more challenging than other boards, just often difficult for a student to get their head around, due to the design of it.
Original post by kenda02
You shouldn't have been cheating in the first place, which is what plagiarism is (you can get kicked out of uni for this one and lose all fee money). If you are foolish enough to spend time trying to get someone else's work, instead of spending that time actually studying, then really shows how silly you are and no you don't deserve a refund at all, as it serves you right.

I am also an examiner for AQA and can very easily tell if a student's work is theirs or not. I suspect your teachers were able to do the same and are pretty annoyed you wasted their precious marking time with work that was not your own. I should think they suspected it was not your, but were unable to accuse without evidence, therefore they did what they could do and gave you the benefit of the doubt, but also giving you some advice on how you could improve your own performance in a very diplomatic way.

I understand. So basically they may havee figured me out. Are you onne of the examiners delivering the courses in Windsor? Is your site www myalevelpsychology . com? I now going to them. Is it difficult to become an examiner?

Quick Reply

Latest