The Student Room Group

Revision Help

How do you revise ? What is your routine ? How often ? How do you motivate yourself ?
Reply 1
Original post by Numero Uno
How do you revise ? What is your routine ? How often ? How do you motivate yourself ?

How: look through my notes (I don't ever touch a textbook). Repeat to myself the notes, or jot the concepts on a scrap paper to solidify the memory. Then after a few days of revising a topic, consolidate with some past paper questions/exam style questions I find. If I do bad, I reread my notes and add comments on how to apply these notes onto practical application questions. If I do good, I leave that topic to be revisited in a few weeks time.

Routine: 1 topic per subject each day. Max 2 topics per subject a day so I don't bore myself. Except maths, for maths I just do a past paper each week. Each topic is revised for about a few days, a week maximum.

Motivation: answer the question, why do you want good A-Levels? I want it so I can go into my field of study, because I've been predicted so and I feel compelled to achieve so, and because I've always been a high achiever. If you genuinely can't answer the question, or find an answer that lacks substance, then why the hell are you studying those subjects? Do you really like those subjects? Are you bothered about getting an A or A*? Do you? Prove it then. If it bores you, find ways to make it interesting. Turn it into a project, or find some other information. I hate ecology, all that sampling ****, so I tried putting it into practice and sample some slugs in my garden, and it was pretty fun!

The other reason is because I just really really love learning about this stuff. Yeah it gets boring because its repetitive but a lot of the time it fascinates and re-fascinates me, sometimes it provokes wider learning.

If something's distracting you, remove the stimulus. Forget all that, "use it as an incentive" or "restrict your time on it", just get rid of it simple as. If it's a laptop, shut it down and hide it. Change your password on your phone. Remind yourself, "I'm doing this because I want to succeed". Once you've done solid revision and you're shattered, that's when you go to your stimulus. Your brain is tired and fried out, use the remaining energy on a useless stimulus, not the other way around

How: get people's notes off the internet, copy the notes and recite the notes until I understand what's going on rather than just memorising them. I then recite my notes when walking the dog, over and over and over again.
Motivation: I want to study medicine
Routine: 2-3 hours after college
Often: daily

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by RMNDK
How: look through my notes (I don't ever touch a textbook). Repeat to myself the notes, or jot the concepts on a scrap paper to solidify the memory. Then after a few days of revising a topic, consolidate with some past paper questions/exam style questions I find. If I do bad, I reread my notes and add comments on how to apply these notes onto practical application questions. If I do good, I leave that topic to be revisited in a few weeks time.

Routine: 1 topic per subject each day. Max 2 topics per subject a day so I don't bore myself. Except maths, for maths I just do a past paper each week. Each topic is revised for about a few days, a week maximum.

Motivation: answer the question, why do you want good A-Levels? I want it so I can go into my field of study, because I've been predicted so and I feel compelled to achieve so, and because I've always been a high achiever. If you genuinely can't answer the question, or find an answer that lacks substance, then why the hell are you studying those subjects? Do you really like those subjects? Are you bothered about getting an A or A*? Do you? Prove it then. If it bores you, find ways to make it interesting. Turn it into a project, or find some other information. I hate ecology, all that sampling ****, so I tried putting it into practice and sample some slugs in my garden, and it was pretty fun!

The other reason is because I just really really love learning about this stuff. Yeah it gets boring because its repetitive but a lot of the time it fascinates and re-fascinates me, sometimes it provokes wider learning.

If something's distracting you, remove the stimulus. Forget all that, "use it as an incentive" or "restrict your time on it", just get rid of it simple as. If it's a laptop, shut it down and hide it. Change your password on your phone. Remind yourself, "I'm doing this because I want to succeed". Once you've done solid revision and you're shattered, that's when you go to your stimulus. Your brain is tired and fried out, use the remaining energy on a useless stimulus, not the other way around

Thanks for the helpful advice just wondering how many hours of revision do you do per day?
Reply 4
Original post by Sacred Ground
How: get people's notes off the internet, copy the notes and recite the notes until I understand what's going on rather than just memorising them. I then recite my notes when walking the dog, over and over and over again.
Motivation: I want to study medicine
Routine: 2-3 hours after college
Often: daily

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the help :smile:
Reply 5
Thanks for the helpful advice just wondering how many hours of revision do you do per day?

It varies.
Usually I try to do about 3 hours a day minimum. Sometimes I deviate, panic and do about 5 hours. Sometimes I have absolutely no motivation (just for that one odd day) or feel really comfortable of where I'm at so maybe about 1 hour.
On Sunday I revise from about 11 to whenever I feel like it, usually 8.
Reply 6
Original post by RMNDK
It varies.
Usually I try to do about 3 hours a day minimum. Sometimes I deviate, panic and do about 5 hours. Sometimes I have absolutely no motivation (just for that one odd day) or feel really comfortable of where I'm at so maybe about 1 hour.
On Sunday I revise from about 11 to whenever I feel like it, usually 8.

:wink: Thank you

Quick Reply