The Student Room Group

How many migrants/refugees are Egypt and Algeria taking?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
With Saudi Arabia's non-signatory status, the Syrians residing in Saudi Arabia are classified as "Arab brothers and sisters in distress" instead of refugees covered by UN treaties. According to Nabil Othman, the UNHCR regional representative to the Gulf region, there were 500,000 Syrian refugees in Saudi Arabia at the time of his statement. The government itself of Saudi Arabia has stated that it has, over the past five years since the start of the conflict hosted 2.5 million refugees
Original post by JamesN88
The Saudis are the biggest hypocrites out there, they preach about religious piety while leading decadent lifestyles and were happy to ally with the British against their fellow Muslims in order to gain control of the country in the first place. The strict religous laws are merely a tool that the royal family uses to keep control and maintain said lifestyle. The sooner we develop alternative energy sources and stop having to fund those fuc*kers the better.

Just my 2 cents.:smile:

I agree with you completely.

A journalist interviewed Yazidi girls who had been rescued from ISIS. Pretty much every single one of them said that they had been brought as sex slaves by Saudi Arabians.

Strict religious laws but they buy girls and are the ones involved in human trafficking the most. Filthy hypocrites.
Reply 22
The US ought to take most ....
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
I agree with you completely.

A journalist interviewed Yazidi girls who had been rescued from ISIS. Pretty much every single one of them said that they had been brought as sex slaves by Saudi Arabians.

Strict religious laws but they buy girls and are the ones involved in human trafficking the most. Filthy hypocrites.

I'd happily pay more for petrol if it was guaranteed that the oil did not originate from that place.
Original post by KimKallstrom
Saudi treat non-Saudi/Qatari/UEA/rich Muslims even worse than most other countries. There are many slaves there from Philippines etc. If you're not balling you'd have to be insane to live there over civilised countries like UK and Germany.

As for Libya, that country is a crap hole full of ISIS.

As a Libyan i can tell you its not 'full of ISIS' they only have control of the small western town called Sirte, educate yourself.

The country is not a crap hole any more than this one is.
Reply 25
I'm not surprised the economic migrants want to come here rather than Egypt, we are a welfare state with benefits for all. Just take the NHS, the bedrock of security for working families, which is why it is so precious and we have to protect it.
Reply 26
Those are poor countries from my information but I could be wrong
I think countries like Jordan and Lebanon have taken in a large amount. And it makes sense as they border Iraq/Syria.

But with countries like Saudi Arabia, they don't exactly treat non-Saudi Muslims well, so I'm not surprised they're not taking many and/or the refugees are avoiding them. With other countries, they may not have the financial resources to take in so many refugees. :dontknow:
Original post by Judas69
I'm not surprised the economic migrants want to come here rather than Egypt, we are a welfare state with benefits for all. Just take the NHS, the bedrock of security for working families, which is why it is so precious and we have to protect it.

Erm...it's a small portion of them that actually come here.

Egypt has taken more than 10 times as many refugees than the UK, according to stats.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Marco1
x

I believe that Algeria have taken in about 40,000 and Egypt have taken in north of 100,000 Syrian refugees. Both these figures being considerably more than the UK is taking in, for example.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Marco1
I don't buy the ex colonial argument at all. It's usual employed as an argument against the West. If it were true then surely they would stay in Turkey, head of the Ottoman Empire. Lets not forget The unwelcome Islamic Conquests that took control of the Mediterranean and seized with force Christian North Africa and up into Spain and France. It's not only the West who imposed it's ways on other cultures.

Maybe that's why Turkey's now reaching maximum capacity and is threatening that if it were not to receive significant European aid, or if European countries keep on refusing to honour their UN agreements - they would simply open the gates of Europe and wish the migrants a good and hopeful journey. Remember it's the Western European colonialists who broke up the Ottoman Empire and carved it up into artificial nation States and bestowed them as gifts to the royal families that allied with them.

The "West" did it in a scale that simply cannot be compared with the Muslims. The "West" swept through the entire America's literally through genocide. Before the Renaissance there was simply no distinction between state and religion, and so expansion of the medieval European "States" almost always had forceful conversions to their strand of Christianity. In the Islamic Caliphates of history, proselytizing or forceful conversions were not in the agenda of the state and thus religions and different versions of Islam could co-exist without the need of inventing secularism or a Renaissance. That testifies to the countless different religious minorities still in existence in the ME and North Africa. Muslims of old, did not form Islamic Empires to propagate their culture and way of life - but for mere political reasons and dominion. And very unlike European Empires they did not have a concept of "motherland" where all the "booty" had to be concentrated. That explains why every other empire lived to see it's territory being slowly but surely diminishing until only the motherland (in the case of UK it's even less than that!) is left for the King. The King (God) of the Islamic Empire still rules the lands He conquered. :biggrin:
While the Western European countries have made mistakes in the past how long will people use it as an excuse for not getting their act together?
Original post by KimKallstrom
Saudi treat non-Saudi/Qatari/UEA/rich Muslims even worse than most other countries. There are many slaves there from Philippines etc. If you're not balling you'd have to be insane to live there over civilised countries like UK and Germany.

As for Libya, that country is a crap hole full of ISIS.

ISIS= Islamic state in Iraq and Syria, So it's ISIL or IS in this situation, right?
Original post by balanced
ISIS= Islamic state in Iraq and Syria, So it's ISIL or IS in this situation, right?

[video="youtube;RFZrzg62Zj0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFZrzg62Zj0[/video]

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending