The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by anisahaha
I want to do medicine or pharmacy (hopefully lol) and i'm planning on doing chemistry, biology,psychology and maybe maths at A- level. Is maths needed? or can i get into uni without it
thanks !!

MATHS IS NOT NEEDED FOR MEDCINE,
NOT SURE ABOUT PHARMACY
OTHER THAN THAT, YOUR SUBJECTS ARE FINE,

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Bloom77
MATHS IS NOT NEEDED FOR MEDCINE,
NOT SURE ABOUT PHARMACY
OTHER THAN THAT, YOUR SUBJECTS ARE FINE,

Posted from TSR Mobile

THANKS
Reply 3
I think maths is way more useful than psychology both for med and pharmacy. In pharmacy you are going to have maths modules, you won't in med. However the skills you gain in maths like logical thinking skills and tackling a problem in many different ways are very valuable for a doctor.
If you're aiming for Oxbridge, then Maths will help a Medicine Applicant but is not required
maths isn't required but i think it is preferred and also it will help you out with bio and chem
Original post by ithinkitslily
maths isn't required but i think it is preferred and also it will help you out with bio and chem

Med schools really don't have hidden preferences. A subject is either required or it isn't

I want to do medicine or pharmacy (hopefully lol) and i'm planning on doing chemistry, biology,psychology and maybe maths at A- level. Is maths needed? or can i get into uni without it
thanks !!

You definitely don't need maths. After chemistry and bio, pick the subject you enjoy and are most likely to get an A in.
Maths isn't necessary, but it would be good for you to have, you're subjects seem really good, if you're not too sure about the maths why don't you do it for a year and then drop it at the end of yr 12 because you're really meant to carry three a-levels to yr 13, chemistry and bio maths a re a good combination.

Good Luck:smile:
Reply 8
thanks !!

'Maths Bio Chem' is the best three combo for medicine. Then psychology is good as a fourth. Definitely do maths.
Reply 9
Original post by nobbyd
'Maths Bio Chem' is the best three combo for medicine. Then psychology is good as a fourth. Definitely do maths.

I'd say Physics is a better fourth.
Reply 10
Original post by PLM98

True but OP is considering Psychology as an a level.
Plus, if OP is raising doubts about doing maths, i doubt physics is a feasible option as a fourth, and the maths and three sciences are notoriously hard.
Original post by PLM98

Physics has zero relevance for medicine.

Original post by nobbyd

Original post by Sana_Akram
Maths isn't necessary, but it would be good for you to have, you're subjects seem really good, if you're not too sure about the maths why don't you do it for a year and then drop it at the end of yr 12 because you're really meant to carry three a-levels to yr 13, chemistry and bio maths a re a good combination.

Good Luck:smile:

What is the obsession with doing maths? The OP has stated they want to do psychology and that is just as good as maths for getting in to medicine, as long as they get an A in it. Maths really isn't needed for medicine
thanks !!

You should at LEAST do math methods (im not sure what the UK or US version is) maths may not be 'needed' for medicine but you will have a WAY better chance of getting into university if you do higher level math. Cheers
Reply 13
Original post by nobbyd
True but OP is considering Psychology as an a level.
Plus, if OP is raising doubts about doing maths, i doubt physics is a feasible option as a fourth, and the maths and three sciences are notoriously hard.

I am doing Maths and the 3 Sciences plus Spanish at A2 and I am alright, it is not easy but it isn't really that notoriously hard. And yeah if she doesn't like Physics and prefers Psychology then she should go for Psychology but I mean that in terms of being a better option Physics is on top of Psychology.
Original post by RickmanAlways
You should at LEAST do math methods (im not sure what the UK or US version is) maths may not be 'needed' for medicine but you will have a WAY better chance of getting into university if you do higher level math. Cheers

It won't make a scrap of difference if they do maths or not. Maths does not improve the chance of getting in to medicine. Good GCSEs/UKCAT/BMAT/PS (or all of the above) are the things that really make a difference. Not whether someone has done maths or not.
Original post by ForestCat
Physics has zero relevance for medicine.

What is the obsession with doing maths? The OP has stated they want to do psychology and that is just as good as maths for getting in to medicine, as long as they get an A in it. Maths really isn't needed for medicine

Maths is needed, but not necessarily/predominantly for medicine.
If you have a change of heart or similar you will be greatful you did mathematics, but there are aspects of medicinal jobs that require it.
Original post by PLM98
I am doing Maths and the 3 Sciences plus Spanish at A2 and I am alright, it is not easy but it isn't really that notoriously hard. And yeah if she doesn't like Physics and prefers Psychology then she should go for Psychology but I mean that in terms of being a better option Physics is on top of Psychology.

Why? I really don't get why physics is better?
Reply 17
Original post by ithinkitslily

thanks! i was thinking it would help me with bio and chem aswell
Original post by RickmanAlways
Maths is needed, but not necessarily/predominantly for medicine.
If you have a change of heart or similar you will be greatful you did mathematics, but there are aspects of medicinal jobs that require it.

The only part of a-level maths that is halfway relevant to medicine is statistics. And not all a-level students do it. A good grasp of basic maths (basic multiplications, additions etc and conversions between units) is needed but you certainly won't need anything else from maths.
Original post by ForestCat
It won't make a scrap of difference if they do maths or not. Maths does not improve the chance of getting in to medicine. Good GCSEs/UKCAT/BMAT/PS (or all of the above) are the things that really make a difference. Not whether someone has done maths or not.

Maths can help you get better gcses/ukcat/bmat/ps results with out you realising it....

Latest

Trending

Trending