The Student Room Group

jamestg's AS success!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
11/02/2016 - 97 days to go!
Double history was decent, we were learning more about Mussolini's foreign policy and in the Germany lesson we were introduced to the idea of historiography. We then did a very, very long glossary of key terms for the chapter ahead, thrilling stuff I know. Double maths was boring because we were doing a fairly easy topic for two hours - sketching graphs for the C2 module using calculus.

I got my maths test back from Monday, 100% and I was pretty pleased because I finished with half an hour to spare and was anxious I had made a mistake despite rigorously checking through several times.

At home I created an M1 paper based on all the topics we've done so far (everything but difficult statics questions, vectors and moments). Then I did some biology homework for tomorrow, luckily it was easy and quick. Early night tonight because I'm so, so tired...
Original post by jamestg
Double history was decent, we were learning more about Mussolini's foreign policy and in the Germany lesson we were introduced to the idea of historiography. We then did a very, very long glossary of key terms for the chapter ahead, thrilling stuff I know. Double maths was boring because we were doing a fairly easy topic for two hours - sketching graphs for the C2 module using calculus.

I got my maths test back from Monday, 100% and I was pretty pleased because I finished with half an hour to spare and was anxious I had made a mistake despite rigorously checking through several times.

At home I created an M1 paper based on all the topics we've done so far (everything but difficult statics questions, vectors and moments). Then I did some biology homework for tomorrow, luckily it was easy and quick. Early night tonight because I'm so, so tired...

Perhaps it is time to start studying C3 in maths lessons ... :redface:

Keep up the good work! :rave::rave:
Reply 42
Original post by SeanFM
Perhaps it is time to start studying C3... :redface:

Keep up the good work! :rave::rave:

The thought of C3 makes me feel uneasy when I've still got to get through the rest of C2 and M1 :colone: - the summer is the time for C3 stuff!

Thank you!!
Original post by jamestg

:yy: Nice work bruh.

Spoiler

Reply 44
Original post by Imperion
:yy: Nice work bruh.

Spoiler

The truth is I don't hahaha :biggrin:

The thought of these exams makes me want to cry/throw up/jump off a reasonably high building. Luckily this thread is keeping me on my toes, I don't want to regularly say "I've done nothing today".

Luckily we've got a week off next week, so I'll be spending that time revising, doing homework and sleeping!
Original post by jamestg
The truth is I don't hahaha :biggrin:

The thought of these exams makes me want to cry/throw up/jump off a reasonably high building. Luckily this thread is keeping me on my toes, I don't want to regularly say "I've done nothing today".

Luckily we've got a week off next week, so I'll be spending that time revising, doing homework and sleeping!

I just had the most insane mental image of a cartoon jumping off a reasonably high building and just bust out laughing :tongue: Oh! That's a grand idea. Maybe I'll have one for A2 :tongue:

What ratio? 10% work 90% sleep? :teehee:
Reply 46
Original post by Imperion
I just had the most insane mental image of a cartoon jumping off a reasonably high building and just bust out laughing :tongue: Oh! That's a grand idea. Maybe I'll have one for A2 :tongue:

What ratio? 10% work 90% sleep? :teehee:

Definitely do it! In fact why wait?!?! Do it now! :wink:

That ratio won't be disclosed on here, but expect the ratio in reality to be somewhat similar to yours. :colondollar:
Original post by jamestg
Definitely do it! In fact why wait?!?! Do it now! :wink:

That ratio won't be disclosed on here, but expect the ratio in reality to be somewhat similar to yours. :colondollar:

1) I'll neglect it 2) I don't think people want to hear me bitch about econ essays and fangirling over maths P.papers :tongue:

:rofl:
Reply 48
JESUS CHRIST I HAVE A LOT TO CATCH UP WITH

12/02/2016 - 96 days to go!
Friday was alright. Don't remember too much, got a politics mock back and got 84% which was an A! Pretty chuffed considering I didn't even finish it!

Did a C1 paper which was really hard, June 2012 you were a pain in the ars*. Managed to get over 90% still, although it was a struggle.

13/02/2016 - 95 days to go!
I went through the mistakes of my C1 paper and corrected them. Did some M1 revision and some homework for my other subjects. I also think I did some biology notes!

Went to a party and chatted up a cat, decent times Y12...

14/02/2016 - 94 days to go!
More homework, nothing interesting here.

15/02/2016 - 93 days to go!
Went to Oxford to a lecture/talk on biological sciences. Interesting stuff, the place seemed really nice and it felt surreal to be in a lecture theatre! Going on it was because of two things. Motivation and choice. I feel I need to get a feel for what I am working for, yeah I don't want to go Oxford I still want to go to a tip top uni! Also I wanted to see whether a biological science degree is for me. It isn't. One crossed off the list!

16/02/2016 - 92 days to go!
Nothing happened today because I had to help my parents in the garden. Ugh.
Reply 49
Just realised all my most recent marks are A grades! :biggrin:

Fingers crossed I can keep that up, probably won't though with the upcoming mocks...
Reply 50
So the past few days have been reasonably productive.

I've forgotten to update this, annoyingly, but I have news and grades to throw at you!

- I did a C1 paper on friday and got 100%
- another C1 paper today and got 100% again :biggrin:D
- c2 differentiation assignment I got 96%
- m1 momentum assignment I got 100%

Pretty chuffed with all of that!

I got my application back for Peterhouse residential, although I didn't get a place I have been put on a waiting list of 15 people (out of 70 or so rejected) which I'm very happy about considering I'm on that list whereas people in my year who have much better GCSE grades than me simply were rejected. Only two from my school are going, and I was the only one to be put on the waiting list! I don't mind if I definitely don't get it, but it's given me confidence in getting to Cambridge and that my hard work is paying off!

Obviously the application processes are different, but clearly I'm doing something right to be beating people.

I'll update later tonight once I have finished my school work. Think of this post as a rare 'catch-up'.
Reply 51
I need to get my sh*t together...
Reply 52
28/02/16 - 79 days to go!
Okay so I've neglected this way too much. There has definitely been a correlation between posting on this and doing work after school, so this blog definitely keeps me on track!

Today I did some M1 statics and impulse, pretty easy stuff and I hope I get full marks on the assignment and then full marks on the test tomorrow. I also got some Politics homework done, which was about the judiciary and whether judges actually protect our civil liberties - fairly interesting stuff! Last thing I did was some History on Mussolini's foreign policy, mainly focussing on Spain and Ethiopia.

I'm getting back my Germany essay tomorrow, and if that goes to an A grade - then my current grades on the OP will go from AABB to AAAB which are my ideal grades! :dance:

I'm feeling much more confident on M1, but my confidence is slipping with Biology, History and Politics. These are the subjects I really need to focus my time on over the next couple of weeks. Therefore tomorrow I aim to get my biology homework completed, part of my politics homework done and then I can begin my history notes, as well as try and get some biology notes completed.

Blimey time is going really fast, just over 12 weeks left...
Reply 53
29/02/16 - 78 days to go!
School was great because my mechanics lesson was cancelled! During my extra free I just did some statics. I got back a C2 test, application of differentiation and got 96% which I was pretty chuffed with! However in History I got a 13/20 on a question marked on the A2 mark scheme, so will be around 1 or 2 marks higher if it were AS. However I'll still to it being 13/20 because I don't want to get complacent.

At home I did my biology homework as planned, pretty simple stuff, and then started a substantial amount of my history notes! Mock is in a week so I better keep it up. Didn't get to start my politics, but apparently it doesn't take too long so I'll slot it in tomorrow.

Disappointed about my C in history, but it wasn't a bad mark considering it was marked against the A2 mark scheme. It does however mean that I will remain on AABB as my current working grades. Still plenty of time to get it up though!
Original post by jamestg
29/02/16 - 78 days to go!
School was great because my mechanics lesson was cancelled! During my extra free I just did some statics. I got back a C2 test, application of differentiation and got 96% which I was pretty chuffed with! However in History I got a 13/20 on a question marked on the A2 mark scheme, so will be around 1 or 2 marks higher if it were AS. However I'll still to it being 13/20 because I don't want to get complacent.

At home I did my biology homework as planned, pretty simple stuff, and then started a substantial amount of my history notes! Mock is in a week so I better keep it up. Didn't get to start my politics, but apparently it doesn't take too long so I'll slot it in tomorrow.

Disappointed about my C in history, but it wasn't a bad mark considering it was marked against the A2 mark scheme. It does however mean that I will remain on AABB as my current working grades. Still plenty of time to get it up though!

Your posts/personality genuinely make me smile. :h: you are awesome. :borat:

Cancelled mechanic lessons are the best lessons :tongue: and good job on chatting up a cat, and your recent mock results.

You can do it! :rave::rave::rave:
Reply 55
01/03/16 - 77 days to go!
A new month means a step up in terms of revision! It is now roughly 2hrs per day, oh the joy but it'll be worth it!

School was exhausting, just as every Tuesday is. Not much really happened if I'm honest. Our Mechanics teacher wasn't in, although we did still do a test on momentum and impulse. It's such an easy chapter I always think I've c*cked it up, really unsettling. Triple biology was boring, seriously considering dropping it after this year...

At home I did my politics work, just some exam questions and revision. Then I added more to my German history notes in prep for our mock next week. I'm feeling much more confident going through it! Should manage to finish the notes on time. Need to start preparing for my Biology mock next Wednesday though. That could go very badly indeed.

To catch up on my Biology, I'll be making notes in my frees tomorrow! Fingers crossed I finish all my notes on section two, then I can focus on section three and the small bit of section four during the rest of the week and weekend. Ahh so stressful. Tbh as long as I get ACC (no politics this time) in my mocks I'll be happy. It will mean I'm on track for AAA in Maths, Biology and History.
Reply 56
02/03/16 - 76 days to go!
School was very productive! History was cancelled so I did some biology notes for my mock next week. Double politics was decent and fairly interesting, I just want to get all of the learning over with so I can get into some hardcore revision! Right now everything is up in the air, doing past papers turns hopes into reality.

It was my mum's birthday today so I helped make some nice dinner, meaning I only got a chance to do the work set for the History cover lesson. I also managed to write my notes on how government and politics changed in Germany from 1933 to 1945, not riveting stuff but still manageable! :h:

No work back today, but I'm feeling more focused, on target and positive after the last couple of, well, disastrous weeks.

I don't know if I mentioned it in previous posts but I got my mock timetable for next week:

MON
am - C1 90mins
pm - German History 135mins (throws up)

WED
am - Biology 90 mins

NO POLITICS MOCKS!!!

Incidentally, monday is exactly the same format (timings and exams) for my first day of real exams which is EXCELLENT. I will feel much, much, much more confident because of this.
Reply 57
03/03/16 - 75 days to go!
School was nothing special. History we're preparing for a debate about Mussolini's foreign policy, our Germany lesson was cancelled. I'm starting to get worried at the quantity of lessons cancelled, particulaly when I'm missing a lot of lessons for other things and it's getting really close to exams now... Maths was okay, more trig equations which are really nice to do because it looks complicated on paper but really is just simple maths. The modules I'm likely to do for AS FM next year are D1 and S2, unless in our core class we do S1 and then I'll do S3 instead of D1.

At home I cut straight to the chase with a C1 solomon paper, I got 91% which I was pretty ecstatic with! Just need to fix some errors with graphs, not too much of a burden. Getting above 90% in the real thing is definitely the bare minimum now, not just an aspirational target. Afterwards I did some more history notes on government and politics in the FRG (West Germany). Cannot wait to start on the economics chapters, something relevant and useful!

8th March marks the same amount of time before exams, as the wait between the my last exam and results day! Eeeek. Then 10 days later it'll be 2 months until my first exam, and 5 months until results day!
Reply 58
image.jpg

Okay so I'll post yesterday's entry later today, as I'm busy with mock revision 😁. However I'd just like to show off some beautiful diagrams from my biology revision guide that I'm making! I won't finish my guide in time for mocks, as I'll be revising from the revision guide from the rest of the chapters as I don't want to be rushing these notes!
Reply 59
Okay so I haven't posted in the past week for one reason, how occupied I was. The term "fingers in many pies" most accurately describes the past week. I'll give you a rundown of what's gone on etc etc...

A lot has happened over the past seven days, and it's been so busy and overwhelming. It's also knocked my confidence quite a bit. Monday's C1 mock should've been a doddle. It wasn't. The 2014 R paper was like a punch in the face and it made me feel pretty sh*t about the rest of the day, and even Maths in general. I actually began to question whether I was any good at Maths, and it's supposedly my strongest subject yet I managed to f*ck up a C1 paper. I should be getting my paper back tomorrow, it's going to be a disappointment... Then in the afternoon was my History mock. After many months of dreading it, it wasn't too bad. Although the interpretations question was difficult because we haven't gone through it properly. When I got home I had loads of biology revision to do and then prep for model united nations the following day.

MUN was good, our team did well and we got a shoutout at the end. It was really stressful, but nonetheless a good experience. When I got back I had to finish off my biology mock, I was really worried about it. Turns out the Biology mock wasn't too bad. I think I got a B, which is good as I've then progressed from a D to a B! Just will need to keep up that trajectory. When I got back home I had a lot of C2 trig stuff to catch up on as well as politics work, and then some history stuff as well. Wednesday evening was very stressful and intense.

Thursday during the day wasn't bad. But when I got home I had even more politics work to catch up on and then prep for my PwC interview. Then at about 11pm I realised I had a biology test the following day and had to cram a fairly large chapter in half an hour because I was shattered. Friday was then a hugely stressful day. The biology test went okay, had it marked immediately and was one mark off a B. Not too shabby considering I crammed it all in for half an hour. When I got home I had my PwC interview which was one of the most nerve wracking things I've ever done. So much is potentially riding on that interview that the chance of cracking under pressure was pretty big. Luckily it went okayish, but I don't think I've got it because I was so mentally exhausted and stressed after the past couple of days. Oh yeah and I've been nominated for head boy!

This weekend has been good. I read ahead for history, began to learn moments for M1, did a C1 paper and got an A, politics homework and made my final revision timetable! It's a very nicely laid out and is all achievable because I'm starting out early and I haven't set too much work out during weekdays. Lastly my sutton trust application has been sent off - really hope I get it!

The upcoming week should be less stressful and I can plough through my revision timetable! Tuesday is a trip to Bristol for the UCAS fair thing. Should be good. I will also hear if I get the work experience at PwC sometime during the week!

That's it for now. I should be able to post daily this week :smile:

65 days to go!

Quick Reply

Latest