The Student Room Group

Do you find this sexist?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Lol XD Yes, yes you should be! Every morning and night, sometimes afternoon or early evening if you feel necessary. :biggrin:

I agree, not sexist.

Yeah, I try and check it at least thrice a day. Used to only do it twice a day, but once I accidentally held a door open for this girl, so now I do it once more so I never forget.
Original post by Biryani007
Nothing wrong with that...I had a teacher who'd call us all 'baby', 'beautiful', 'gorgeous', etc :rofl:

:redface: That's pushing it a bit I think...:redface:

XD
Original post by Zargabaath
Yeah, I try and check it at least thrice a day. Used to only do it twice a day, but once I accidentally held a door open for this girl, so now I do it once more so I never forget.

Yes well, you live and you learn...
I wouldn't call it sexist? I would call it borderline creepy.
Reply 24
I think that what is defined as sexist has changed A LOT over the last couple of years. I find that people are just overly sensitive and love victimising themselves.
I don't hate feminism, but it's when feminism focuses of petty things like this....

I get that there is a "pyramid" and this is really low, and more serious feminist issues are somewhere on the top.

But then again, it is a term of endearment and saying it's "belittling" a gender is feminist perspective, it's not really fact. Y'know?

in what world is "dear" not a term of endearment? would you call a thug in a dark alley "dear"? or a cute little girl? what makes the cute little girl a "dear"? because she's small and cute
Original post by UnknownRoyalist
Teachers name wasn't Jimmy, was it?

:lol:

:redface: That's pushing it a bit I think...:redface:

XD

It was a college teacher...it seems creepy like as we'd walk into class he'd say "Hey gorgeous!" or if there was something up "What's wrong baby?" but we didn't think anything of it, it was just the way he was :lol:

(we just assumed he was an overly jolly gay man)
[Triggered]
Scenario 1: It can be sexist, but in this context I think it's just a term of endearment and not something he says to belittle or patronise girls. BTW, that website seems quite extreme IMO :redface:

Scenario 2: Totally inappropriate, but sexist? Again, I don't think so.
Reply 29
Original post by Arkasia
[Triggered]

Made me Laugh Out Loud :lolz:
No, what your teacher said wasn't sexist at all...I am pretty sure he is just friendly.

But that video of the lady getting all worked up because of a compliment annoys me. It's women like her that makes feminism look so bad. She seems so annoying and arrogant. She could have just accepted the compliment and then left it or at least she should have gave the compliment and said thank you but...

I didn't even watch the whole thing lmao. The lady was just really irritating me.
Original post by loveleest
No, what your teacher said wasn't sexist at all...I am pretty sure he is just friendly.

But that video of the lady getting all worked up because of a compliment annoys me. It's women like her that makes feminism look so bad. She seems so annoying and arrogant. She could have just accepted the compliment and then left it or at least she should have gave the compliment and said thank you but...

I didn't even watch the whole thing lmao. The lady was just really irritating me.

Yes, this is exactly how I felt. It was unnecessary. She could have accepted the complement, or ignored the message, there was no need to be that extreme as there was nothing sexist about what he said. It made me laugh when she blamed him for "eroticising" her picture...so ridiculous, and definitely makes feminism look bad!
Original post by sleepysnooze
in what world is "dear" not a term of endearment? would you call a thug in a dark alley "dear"? or a cute little girl? what makes the cute little girl a "dear"? because she's small and cute

Yes, but you're not belittling anyone by calling them "dear". That is just a feminists take on it, I disagree, I think there is no problem with it.
Reply 33
pls it's a completely non malicious and sweet gesture, don't ruin it with PC hatred
Original post by EphemeralLove
I wouldn't call it sexist? I would call it borderline creepy.

No not creepy, he is lovely! :h:
Yes, this is exactly how I felt. It was unnecessary. She could have accepted the complement, or ignored the message, there was no need to be that extreme as there was nothing sexist about what he said. It made me laugh when she blamed him for "eroticising" her picture...so ridiculous, and definitely makes feminism look bad!

Yeah. she also came across as really immature and showed her horrible character when she decided to post it all over twitter to name and shame the guy and then claimed that she was "Asking for other women's opinions." What a disgusting person she is. Feminism is believing in equal rights between men and women, not complaining when someone gives you a nice compliment. What an idiot she is.
While I can't really know the circumstances surrounding your case, I wouldn't personally consider it sexist as long as it's respectful and in equal spirit to the rest of the class (regardless of gender and sex). I had a teacher in my high school who called all guys "son" and all girls either by their first or last name. She was just a firm, but polite older lady, we never really thought anything bad about it.

To summarize, I don't believe it's sexist or misogynistic as long as you receive equal treatment and fair consideration. Of course, it heavily depends on the tone, situation and the person in question, but it generally seems pretty friendly and endearing. A lot of older people are like that, at least in my experience. I've been called anything from "son" and "dear" to a "wonderful young man".
I don't hate feminism, but it's when feminism focuses of petty things like this....

I get that there is a "pyramid" and this is really low, and more serious feminist issues are somewhere on the top.

But then again, it is a term of endearment and saying it's "belittling" a gender is feminist perspective, it's not really fact. Y'know?

Both are so ridiculously petty omg.

All I can say is what a total **** that women in the second scenario was. What a complete, pretentious, ****.

He's trying to flatter her to get her to work with him. Or to **** him. She doesn't appreciate it, naturally. Just like I wouldn't appreciate someone saying "oh Ryan, you're soooo clever, we really must work together" when there's no really boon for me. But I'd be like, yeah, thanks for the flattery, but no thanks. It doesn't work on me, so if that's all you have to say then I shall close my ears to you. Cheerio old chap!

No need for all this absolute ******** about the objectification of women being a systemic method of ensuring that the patriarchy is renewed and women suffer so much. SUFFER SUCH PAIN FOR BEING CALLED PRETTY.
Yes, but you're not belittling anyone by calling them "dear". That is just a feminists take on it, I disagree, I think there is no problem with it.

well it's everybody's take minus yours.
Reply 39
Had a teacher who called us girl, love, etc
Girls school - everyone's fine with it x'D

this is nothing lmao

Quick Reply

Latest