The Student Room Group

Did I act cold towards my friend?

My friend was upset today her her relationship and life. We sat on a bench and she confided in me about things (people don't usually do this with me). We are both female and I did my best to listen but don't know if I acted too cold. She's not eating due to stress and started crying but I didn't hug her, just waited for her to stop. I think most people would have but I've never been touchy feely or the huggy type. Was I being cold/odd or do people generally accept that not everyone hugs?

Scroll to see replies

Let me get this straight.

Your friend, who is is not eating, is unhappy with her relationship and life in general, starts to cry and you just sit there and wait for her to stop? I think that no matter how "huggy" you are, she deserved some kind of acknowledgement, some kind of comforting gesture or act. Hold her hand, hug over over the shoulders, talk to her, tell will it will all be alright. Don't just sit there and pretend nothing is happening. Honestly, I'm not sure I would even consider you a friend after that point.

I think we seriously need to consider that machines will take over the world. With this heartless robot over here, it's obvious they're already out there.
Reply 2
Well, if you say you tried your best to support her- then that's all you could do and if she's your friend then she should already know what you're like + therefore understand. :h: Personally, I don't think it would've hurt to put a little bit more effort and provide a hug, even if you don't usually like doing so.
Just hug her ffs. She's not going to want you to start fingering her 5seconds after. Why the phobia for a little bit of intimate care for a fellow human being?
Original post by Anon_98
Well, if you say you tried your best to support her- then that's all you could do and if she's your friend then she should already know what you're like + therefore understand. :h: Personally, I don't think it would've hurt to put a little bit more effort and provide a hug, even if you don't usually like doing so.

Hahaha, ahhh just look at how we both worded our ideologically similar responses.

I often wish I could put my thoughts across as politely as you do Anony-non.
It sounds like you don't really care, if you loved her you would attempt to make her feel better even if you're not a huggy type of person.

I'm not either, hugs when someone is crying makes me cringe, but I'd still do it if I knew my friend needed one. y'know?
Reply 6
I think slapping her around the face would have been more affectionate then that
Original post by whorace
I think slapping her around the face would have been more affectionate then that

Definitely!
Original post by whorace

Do you often exhibit your "affection" to women by slapping them around their face?
Original post by TorpidPhil
Just hug her ffs. She's not going to want you to start fingering her 5seconds after. Why the phobia for a little bit of intimate care for a fellow human being?

It's uncomfortable for some people...

Also, HI! It's been awhile :h:
Reply 10
Do you often exhibit your "affection" to women by slapping them around their face?

Only when they misbehave
Hahaha, ahhh just look at how we both worded our ideologically similar responses.

I often wish I could put my thoughts across as politely as you do Anony-non.

:lol:

Aww, thank you. :blush:
I don't get all the hate towards you OP. I know exactly where you're coming from, I really dont like hugs with people I'm not intimate with. You may have seemed a bit cold but if she's your friend I'm sure she'll know you didn't mean it on that way.
Original post by whorace
Only when they misbehave

Hmm. Appropriate I guess. Keep up the good work.

Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
It's uncomfortable for some people...

Also, HI! It's been awhile :h:

Heeey there o/

It has actually. Oddly these days I tend to hang around on tsr when I'm happy and not when I'm sad. It's a madness it is!

Hope you're doing well yourself Holmesy :smile:

Original post by Anon_98
:lol:

Aww, thank you. :blush:

No problem. It's definitely a great trait of yours! Just keep it in mind so that it never 'slips'... It's a really cool thang you got going!

No problem. It's definitely a great trait of yours! Just keep it in mind so that it never 'slips'... It's a really cool thang you got going!

Too kind >.< .- I appreciate it. Well, I'll be sure to try my best so it doesn't. :woo: Didn't even realise it was a thing tbh XD - thanks. :h:
Original post by Withengar
Let me get this straight.

Your friend, who is is not eating, is unhappy with her relationship and life in general, starts to cry and you just sit there and wait for her to stop? I think that no matter how "huggy" you are, she deserved some kind of acknowledgement, some kind of comforting gesture or act. Hold her hand, hug over over the shoulders, talk to her, tell will it will all be alright. Don't just sit there and pretend nothing is happening. Honestly, I'm not sure I would even consider you a friend after that point.

I think we seriously need to consider that machines will take over the world. With this heartless robot over here, it's obvious they're already out there.

:lol: Jesus, calm down?
Original post by EphemeralLove
:lol: Jesus, calm down?

That's what they told to Skynet...

Original post by Withengar
That's what they told to Skynet...

I'm still laughing at the "heartless robot over here" part. I'm dying lmaoo.
Original post by EphemeralLove
I'm still laughing at the "heartless robot over here" part. I'm dying lmaoo.

Will you still be laughing when you're a servant of some ATM or a laundry machine?

Wake up people.
Just hug her ffs. She's not going to want you to start fingering her 5seconds after.

:lolwut:

Quick Reply

Latest