The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by anisahaha
I want to do medicine or pharmacy (hopefully lol) and i'm planning on doing chemistry, biology,psychology and maybe maths at A- level. Is maths needed? or can i get into uni without it
thanks !!

Ignore @ForestCat . seems quite misinformed

http://russellgroup.ac.uk/media/5320/informedchoices.pdf

Pls refer to the above link, devised by real admissions officers. Scroll down to medicine and pharmacy, where maths and/or physics is either required or preferred.

@ForestCat you have a look too. Appears you don't quite have the knowledge u claim you have.
Reply 41
Original post by Ishea16
end of the day the most important factor is your grades
which ever subject you are confident that you'll can get an A pick that subject

dont try tell me about 'how it works'

look at medicine. Maths keeps OPs options open to all med schools thus being a useful subject. And physics too, since you seem to dismiss others who suggest it.

Its ppl like you who make ppl question the legitimacy and accuracy of the internet. At least you can learn now instead of spreading your rubbish around and confusing med school hopefuls
Original post by nobbyd

Pls refer to the above link, devised by real admissions officers. Scroll down to medicine and pharmacy, where maths and/or physics is either required or preferred.

@ForestCat you have a look too. Appears you don't quite have the knowledge u claim you have.

Like I said, the OP can either take advice from an actual medical student, or listen to some randoms posters on TSR.

P.s. all it says about maths is it will keep all your options open. By this it means Cambridge. It is not needed anywhere else.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by nobbyd
dont try tell me about 'how it works'

look at medicine. Maths keeps OPs options open to all med schools thus being a useful subject. And physics too, since you seem to dismiss others who suggest it.

Its ppl like you who make ppl question the legitimacy and accuracy of the internet. At least you can learn now instead of spreading your rubbish around and confusing med school hopefuls

wow
maths keeps options open for a few more uni's okay, when did i say don't do maths?
i said do subjects you are sure you'll get the grades
because they are the basic entry requirements and if you are unable to get the grades no university will look at her application

its people like you who think they can assume things without actually bothering to read what the other person wrote:colonhash:
Reply 44
Original post by ForestCat
Like I said, the OP can either take advice from an actual medical student, or listen to some randoms on TSR.

P.s. all it says about maths is it will keep all your options open. By this it means Cambridge. It is not needed anywhere else.

'randoms on TSR'? Really you're gonna say this when i showed a document devised by admission officers.

And no, it doesnt just mean cambridge, it says all med schools and it shows maths is valuable.

You also ignore the fact that OP is considering pharmacy, where maths is useful and u actually learn a bit of maths.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 45
Original post by Ishea16
wow
maths keeps options open for a few more uni's okay, when did i say don't do maths?
i said do subjects you are sure you'll get the grades
because they are the basic entry requirements and if you are unable to get the grades no university will look at her application

its people like you who think they can assume things without actually bothering to read what the other person wrote:colonhash:

ermm, who are you?
Original post by nobbyd
ermm, who are you?

someone who can read:colonhash:
Reply 47
Original post by Ishea16
someone who can read:colonhash:

u wanna medal?
Original post by nobbyd
u wanna medal?

not from you lol its fine
thanks anyway:h:
Original post by nobbyd
'randoms on TSR'? Really you're gonna say this when i showed a document devised by admission officers.

And no, it doesnt just mean cambridge, it says all med schools and it shows maths is valuable.

You also ignore the fact that OP is considering pharmacy, where maths is useful and u actually learn a bit of maths.

I admire your confidence, but you come off as someone who is a little emotional because you didnt get into the top unis, but thats none of my business.

You're either illerate or a troll. Probably both though tbh.

If you do Chemistry, Biology and one from Mathematics or Physics you will keep all the medical schools open to you. If you do Chemistry and Biology you will keep open the vast majority. If you do Chemistry and one from Mathematics and Physics you will limit your range of choices much more.

By "vast majority" they mean "all except Cambridge". So what exactly is your problem?
Original post by nobbyd

Given that that has listed Further Maths as a "useful advanced level qualification", I'm fairly sure that that's not a good source to use for Medicine applications and that it wasn't compiled by Medicine admission tutors. A lot of Med Schools don't accept Further Maths as a separate subject (and unlike the point you're trying to argue, this is actually stated on many Med School's websites).
Original post by PLM98
Right I understand that you are angry with that people, but I am not saying that it increases your chances of getting into med, I am just saying that, in my opinion, doing maths and/or physics is more useful than doing something like psychology, art or english lit. I have many doctors in my family and I am sure they would all agree with that. Again, I am NOT sating it helps with your application, I think that having a strong reference/personal statement and a good UKCAT/BMAT score will be much more decisive.

EDIT: However top unis, such as Oxbridge, do ask for 3 science subjects at A-Level or 2 sciences and maths.

Do tell me which are the "top unis" for medicine, and why. And which of them, apart from Cambridge (not Oxford!) require more than two sciences at A-level.

I'm also intrigued as to what skills physics or maths gives to applicants that are so much more valuable than those which could be gained from doing an essay-based subject, particularly one like psychology which could be argued to have a lot of relevance, direct and indirect, to medicine.

nobbyd
You seem to ignore the competitive element of medicine, where students will have maths and yes other factors do affect whether or not they get in. The competition is fierce and you're wrong in suggesting there is no top medical school. Many will aim to go into consulting and other senior positions, and this is taken up by many of the top uni grads. No one said anything about 'prestige' and theres no need to be so condescending.

Again, do you have any evidence whatsoever that graduating from a "top" medical school means you are more likely to end up in a consultant position 10 years down the line? Do you have any evidence that the people interviewing for consultant posts (or any specialty training posts beforehand) give the tiniest of shits where someone went to med school?
Adding my two pennies worth to this to help quell the Maths myth. My daughter has three offers so far and is waiting to hear from her final interview and guess what............... (drum roll) she isn't taking Maths but Spanish!!! Along with Biology and Chemistry. Oh and two of her offers are Russell Group unis.....
Reply 53
Original post by Helenia
Do tell me which are the "top unis" for medicine, and why. And which of them, apart from Cambridge (not Oxford!) require more than two sciences at A-level.

I'm also intrigued as to what skills physics or maths gives to applicants that are so much more valuable than those which could be gained from doing an essay-based subject, particularly one like psychology which could be argued to have a lot of relevance, direct and indirect, to medicine.

I am not going to repeat myself all over again, so if you think that interpreting a poem, drawing or writing an essay based on a source is more useful in medicine than the problem solving and logical thinking skills obtained by breaking down problems into a series of steps and analysing the steps separately using logic and mathematics then that is your opinion, but it certainly isn't and I don't even know why we are discussing about it. Again I am NOT talking about these subjects increasing your chances of getting in into the course, I am discussing the relative usefulness of subjects, just so no one starts talking about that again.
Original post by PLM98
I am not going to repeat myself all over again, so if you think that interpreting a poem, drawing or writing an essay based on a source is more useful in medicine than the problem solving and logical thinking skills obtained by breaking down problems into a series of steps and analysing the steps separately using logic and mathematics then that is your opinion, but it certainly isn't and I don't even know why we are discussing about it. Again I am NOT talking about these subjects increasing your chances of getting in into the course, I am discussing the relative usefulness of subjects, just so no one starts talking about that again.

Which one of us has completed a medicine degree...?

Edit to expand a little more: I actually think you've illustrated my point quite nicely. There are lots of useful skills to be gained from arts subjects - understanding how different people express themselves, why one form of words has more power than others depending on different situations, how to appraise a piece of evidence to work out how reliable and useful it might be, having an insight into why some people might behave in certain ways and how people's social background affects their health - all of these are translatable, useful skills for a doctor to have.

Yes, Maths and Physics will help you break things down and give you a logical scientific approach, but given that most med applicants will already be doing two other sciences, I'm not convinced that those two add much to someone already doing Chem and Bio. And in terms of actual content, there's very little crossover between Maths/Physics and medicine.

The big difference with medicine compared with purer science degrees is that you can't just break everything down into little chunks and follow the same pathway for each patient/problem - you have to learn that there are nuances and subtleties both in how people present and how they respond to treatment, which are just as important as knowing the basic sciences. You're dealing with people, not numbers or chemicals in a jar, and people don't always follow the rules!
(edited 8 years ago)
Just pick whatever you know you will enjoy studying for another 2 years in far more detail and something you are fairly confident in.
I'm picking chem, bio, maths and f maths, and despite people saying it is pointless doing f maths as a 4th due to the reforms and med school requirements, I'm taking it because I enjoy maths. Likewise, if you enjoy psychology, take psychology.

Spoiler

Also, I think that the only reason so many applicants take maths for A Level is because they should be strong at both biology and chemistry, and generally, those who are strong at sciences are also strong at maths.
Nothing to do with entry requirements I think.
Reply 57
Original post by Helenia

Again, do you have any evidence whatsoever that graduating from a "top" medical school means you are more likely to end up in a consultant position 10 years down the line? Do you have any evidence that the people interviewing for consultant posts (or any specialty training posts beforehand) give the tiniest of shits where someone went to med school?

OP was considering taking maths and i merely said that it is a useful option. And yes, my cousin is now a consultant at just 30, and graduated from cambridge.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 58
Original post by usycool1
Given that that has listed Further Maths as a "useful advanced level qualification", I'm fairly sure that that's not a good source to use for Medicine applications and that it wasn't compiled by Medicine admission tutors. A lot of Med Schools don't accept Further Maths as a separate subject (and unlike the point you're trying to argue, this is actually stated on many Med School's websites).

I didnt recommend further maths, just maths
Original post by nobbyd
I didnt recommend further maths, just maths

My point still applies - that document was wrong, so it's not a good source to use at all. Everyone else who's saying Maths isn't useful is right.

Latest

Trending

Trending