The Student Room Group

Anyone scared for how much Student finance they can get?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by spleenharvester

Thanks man. I get £4500/year maintenance, which doesn't cover my rent - £1500/year from part time, which barely covers food,

£1500 a year is plenty for food. You're not at uni for 52 weeks a year and there's no reason why you need to spend more than £25 a week on food.
At least you don't get the minimum loan :colonhash:
Original post by Tiger Rag
£1500 a year is plenty for food. You're not at uni for 52 weeks a year and there's no reason why you need to spend more than £25 a week on food.

Food and bills*. Sorry, was recalling off the top of my head. Still does not come close to covering the gap in my budget.

Also, that is another thing - there are 4 main letting agencies around here, so you can only find 12-month contracts. Which start in July so you can't transfer the tenancy onto anyone. As far as SFE is concerned it is not their problem. Lots of people have to take out loans here to pay for accommodation in summer which they aren't even here to use.
(edited 8 years ago)
Lol if I don't get the full £10,702 I can't afford living in London :|
Food and bills*. Sorry, was recalling off the top of my head. Still does not come close to covering the gap in my budget.

Also, that is another thing - there are 4 main letting agencies around here, so you can only find 12-month contracts. Which start in July so you can't transfer the tenancy onto anyone. As far as SFE is concerned it is not their problem. Lots of people have to take out loans here to pay for accommodation in summer which they aren't even here to use.

That's why you get a bit more over the summer. And there's nothing to stop you working over the summer either.
Original post by Tiger Rag
That's why you get a bit more over the summer. And there's nothing to stop you working over the summer either.

1) A bit more over the summer? What's this about? We don't get anything between Jul-Sept.

2) Except for the fact that the job market is utterly abysmal at the moment, yeah. I applied for ~45 jobs in total. Didn't get any responses (until about September which was already too late), despite having worked 3 other jobs before university.
1) A bit more over the summer? What's this about? We don't get anything between Jul-Sept.

2) Except for the fact that the job market is utterly abysmal at the moment, yeah. I applied for ~45 jobs in total. Didn't get any responses (until about September which was already too late), despite having worked 3 other jobs before university.

Yes. You get a larger amount of student finance every year but your final year under the understanding it may be needed over summer. Though it's still spread out over the 3 normal installments
Original post by SophieSmall
Yes. You get a larger amount of student finance every year but your final year under the understanding it may be needed over summer. Though it's still spread out over the 3 normal installments

Interesting, was not aware this was the case.
Interesting, was not aware this was the case.

Most people aren't and get a shock in final year when their entitlement is lower with practically no warning.

It's a pain even trying to find an SF document that states it.
Most people aren't and get a shock in final year when their entitlement is lower with practically no warning.

I can imagine, I had no idea this was the case! Very glad I'm intercalating year in industry now as I'd be completely up the creek otherwise.
Original post by RonnieRJ
Lol if I don't get the full £10,702 I can't afford living in London :|

I'm getting about 6K and living in London.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm either getting 3,821 or 4,729. We shall see
Thanks man. I get £4800/year maintenance (corrected in edit), which doesn't cover my rent - £1500/year from part time, which barely covers food and bills, with about £1200 left over unaccounted for at the end of the year. My university's financial assistance fund won't help me because I work part time.

I take my hat off to you, there's something very admirable about the situation you are in and the way you haven't given up. How the hell are you going to make up the shortfall though? £1200 a year is a lot of money to be behind on. You're also an example of how flawed the system can be and how it can let down people from all backgrounds.

I think I read it somewhere once years ago, I just can't remember where. But yeah, it's not something that SF widely publicise. I think most people only know because they read it on places like here. Someone did point out the other day that when you do the online calculator, it doesn't even tell you how much you can get in your final year.
Original post by tommb84
I take my hat off to you, there's something very admirable about the situation you are in and the way you haven't given up. How the hell are you going to make up the shortfall though? £1200 a year is a lot of money to be behind on. You're also an example of how flawed the system can be and how it can let down people from all backgrounds.

Thankyou, I appreciate it! I managed to land paid placements with pharma companies over this summer and third year, so thereafter I won't need to worry about it (thank god for interest-free overdraft on student accounts until then!). It's just been very frustrating for my first two years as I've had to take out an emergency loan from the university several times, despite the fact I am working part-time and spending next to nothing on going out.

Frankly I'm pretty glad we get the loan system here at all, I've heard horrendous stories from my friends over the pond, but it could still be improved an awful lot. I've met loads of other people in the same situation as me and god knows what they're going to do next year.
Original post by TheOpinion
I'm either getting 3,821 or 4,729. We shall see

Why such a large difference between the two values if you don't mind my asking? I thought SFE's calc was generally quite accurate (the only issues being which month you start your tax year from).
Why such a large difference between the two values if you don't mind my asking? I thought SFE's calc was generally quite accurate (the only issues being which month you start your tax year from).

You can apply for a higher amount
Absolutely terrified. Definitely second guessing if I can go to uni this year :frown:
Original post by Passmeplease
Absolutely terrified. Definitely second guessing if I can go to uni this year :frown:

Do it! If you can't eat, it builds character :P
Original post by tommb84
Do it! If you can't eat, it builds character :P

I like this! I think I've found a new motto :headbang:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending