The Student Room Group

UFC 196 - McGregor vs Diaz - who are you picking

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jessicabeth
When Conor referred to it as a 'bruise' lmao. Yeah Diaz is deffo up for it but I just get the impression he's a bit of a gangsta wannabe??? Idk maybe I'm wrong

Diaz the kinda niqqa who doesnt pull out and has 100 baby mamas and just doesnt care :biggrin:

He is one scary mofo! :lol:
Original post by TorpidPhil
Why do you say long limbs are advantageous in grappling in sports?

It means you can trap people in triangles and arm bars which other people would not be able to do.
depends what Nate shows up, he's very incostent and with it being short notice idk, compare the nate that fought cerrone and michael johnson to the one who fought RDA
Original post by Nameless Ghoul
It means you can trap people in triangles and arm bars which other people would not be able to do.

And it also means you're more likely to get arm-barred and generally get your limbs tied up in positions where opponents with shorter limbs cannot. You have less strength to choke with and your limbs are easier to move since they are less dense in their weight.
And it also means you're more likely to get arm-barred and generally get your limbs tied up in positions where opponents with shorter limbs cannot. You have less strength to choke with and your limbs are easier to move since they are less dense in their weight.

Maybe at white-bite level, yes. You're talking about a black belt here who is an elite-level athlete; he has enough strength in his limbs to complete chokes, I should think, and knows how to use his physical assets to his advantage.
Maybe at white-bite level, yes. You're talking about a black belt here who is an elite-level athlete; he has enough strength in his limbs to complete chokes, I should think, and knows how to use his physical assets to his advantage.

Well, I'm talking from a catch wrestling perspective tbh, not a BJJ one as I don't do that. So strength is quite a bit more influential in the techniques. But as a short and stocky fighter I'm much more comfortable on the ground with an opponent who is the same weight as me but has longer limbs and thereby weaker ones, than one the same weight but shorter, stronger limbs.

If he knows how to use his long limbs to his advantage I could as easily say that his opponents will know how to use their shorter limbs to their advantage so that's a pointless statement...

Other thing on short limbs - this is MMA where close range striking on the ground is permitted. Shorter limbs are way more useful here as they generate more power in a shorter distance while not exposing themselves as much when they strike.
(edited 8 years ago)
Well, I'm talking from a catch wrestling perspective tbh, not a BJJ one as I don't do that. So strength is quite a bit more influential in the techniques. But as a short and stocky fighter I'm much more comfortable on the ground with an opponent who is the same weight as me but has longer limbs and thereby weaker ones, than one the same weight but shorter, stronger limbs.

I didn't know you were rolling with Nate Diaz. You should have said.
I didn't know you were rolling with Nate Diaz. You should have said.

And the same could be said for you...

That's not an argument to say "things are different at top level of fighting than amateur MMA"... How do you know unless you're a UFC fighter yourself???

See the edit btw.
And the same could be said for you...

That's not an argument to say "things are different at top level of fighting than amateur MMA"... How do you know unless you're a UFC fighter yourself???

See the edit btw.

What I know here is that out of all the things said in this thread you took away from one comment I made specifically about Nate and extrapolated it to your own white belt situation. Why is that? Are you a manlet who doesn't want to acknowledge that taller people can have the best of it?
Reply 49
Original post by trapking
Diaz the kinda niqqa who doesnt pull out and has 100 baby mamas and just doesnt care :biggrin:

He is one scary mofo! :lol:

He is White/Mexican American trash, he has no class
What I know here is that out of all the things said in this thread you took away from one comment I made specifically about Nate and extrapolated it to your own white belt situation. Why is that? Are you a manlet who doesn't want to acknowledge that taller people can have the best of it?

So you concede it doesn't apply generically and only in the context of.

I wanted to know whether you meant it generically or not.

I am indeed a manlet - 5'5 and 90kg. However, it is weight that we are talking about here in sports discussions. Taller folk have the advantage in that they can far easier gain a higher weight level at a lower body fat percentage than shorter people. That's their advantage. And striking reach. I don't believe they have an advantage in grappling, they sure don't for ground-fighting. Which is why you don't see that many 6ft2 plus wrestlers under heavyweight classes or sambo fighters.
So you concede it doesn't apply generically and only in the context of.

I wanted to know whether you meant it generically or not.

I am indeed a manlet - 5'5 and 90kg. However, it is weight that we are talking about here in sports discussions. Taller folk have the advantage in that they can far easier gain a higher weight level at a lower body fat percentage than shorter people. That's their advantage. And striking reach. I don't believe they have an advantage in grappling, they sure don't for ground-fighting. Which is why you don't see that many 6ft2 plus wrestlers under heavyweight classes or sambo fighters.

And the problem is identified. You're all out to prove yourself, rather than actually engage the point I made. Well, great for you, children are the future etc, but I am going to ignore your nonsense henceforth.
And the problem is identified. You're all out to prove yourself, rather than actually engage the point I made. Well, great for you, children are the future etc, but I am going to ignore your nonsense henceforth.

I was simply curious about that comment as I've never seen anyone make it before. I don't think his long-limbs will have a great effect on the fight talking about grappling specifically. You said they do. that's where we disagree.
Reply 53
Very excited for this now. Only five days tomorrow...
Reply 54
Original post by ByronicHero
Haha I know what you mean. Did you see that Dada almost died after their fight?

Actually they are mostly vegan, but broadly pescatarian but are misreported as vegan very often - at least this is my understanding. :smile:

Yeah man, I watched the fight on YouTube the day after. DaDa 5000 or whatever his name is was a complete joke. It's pretty sad he nearly died from dehydration from weight cutting, that fight should never have been commissioned.

It's a grey area whether the Diaz bros are vegan. I heard that Nate was broadly pescatarian and Nick was full vegan, but like you say there's nothing out there that confirms things either way. To be fair they probably don't want to be put in a box, they like to do their own thing and not give a f**k
Reply 55
Original post by Greg Jackson
depends what Nate shows up, he's very incostent and with it being short notice idk, compare the nate that fought cerrone and michael johnson to the one who fought RDA

I think he'll turn up motivated for it, no doubt. Will he turn up in shape? Probably not. It's a while now since his last fight, and he hasn't had anything to train for. I know the Diaz bros keep themselves in good shape year long but this is a 5 round fight...

Also he took the fight on 2 weeks notice. How long does weed stay in the system for? I hope he doesn't get busted and suspended, that would suck!
Reply 56
Not sure about Holm vs Tate. Meisha's been training to beat Ronda, and is more experienced at MMA. An all-rounder. I think she hangs on for a number of rounds and it's sorted by decision.
Reply 57
Original post by Assan
Not sure about Holm vs Tate. Meisha's been training to beat Ronda, and is more experienced at MMA. An all-rounder. I think she hangs on for a number of rounds and it's sorted by decision.

You could be right and before Ronda showed up Meisha was unstoppable. However I think this is going to be a vicious stand up fight and someone's gonna get smashed before the end of the 2nd round I reckon. My money's on Holm by 2nd round hulk smash.
Reply 58
Original post by kalclash
You could be right and before Ronda showed up Meisha was unstoppable. However I think this is going to be a vicious stand up fight and someone's gonna get smashed before the end of the 2nd round I reckon. My money's on Holm by 2nd round hulk smash.

Do you know how many rounds this is?

And when it is?

People forget that Holly lost her early MMA fights, and that Ronda was doing a lot of press/movies, etc and the fight was moved up two months (I think it was 2). I'm not sure Holly is MMA dominant just yet, but we'll see.
Reply 59
Original post by Assan
Do you know how many rounds this is?

And when it is?

People forget that Holly lost her early MMA fights, and that Ronda was doing a lot of press/movies, etc and the fight was moved up two months (I think it was 2). I'm not sure Holly is MMA dominant just yet, but we'll see.

I agree with everything you're saying, and I still think Holm walks out with the victory in round 2 - 3 at the latest. Both are stand up fighters, both are coming to fight and both are aggressive. My prediction is that they meet in the middle and start smashing each other until one of them falls down. I'm thinking minute 4 of round 2.

How do you see it going?

Quick Reply

Latest