The Student Room Group

Okay i just had to rant about this. So here goes

I had to talk about this before i go cray.
Before anything. Yes i do have friends and I can't quite express what i am going through into words for them to understand.
Right now i feel sooo isolated. Im starting university tomorrow. First of all i am definitely unhappy with my life. For me, my primary language IS English and not my native language [Let us assume it is German (it is not though!!)] i was forced to come to my mother country and attend a university in this country. And this university's lecture is 100% in my native language. I'm so nervous about the lectures like how i wont understand a thing. And there will be countless debates and presentations.. How will i endure this when im not even fluent in this language? And furthermore, i am sorta self conceited especially when it comes to studies . So I absolutely despite making a fool out of myself in a huge crowd..which will happen since am pretty sure that i will be clueless during debates and presentations. And marks are given according to participation........ How will i survive 4 years of this?
My parents don't give a damn about my opinion so advice like talk to your parents and switch unis etc etc wont work AT ALL...

Im already having hardships living by myself in a developed country when i was living my entire life in an underdeveloped country... Things were pretty harsh when i first rode the plane all the way here and all by myself.... And everything was so different. Technology was so advanced. Rules were different. People were selfish and rude. I was just not used to this...

Thankyou for reading my shiet c:
Original post by Rearch
I had to talk about this before i go cray.
Before anything. Yes i do have friends and I can't quite express what i am going through into words for them to understand.
Right now i feel sooo isolated. Im starting university tomorrow. First of all i am definitely unhappy with my life. For me, my primary language IS English and not my native language [Let us assume it is German (it is not though!!)] i was forced to come to my mother country and attend a university in this country. And this university's lecture is 100% in my native language. I'm so nervous about the lectures like how i wont understand a thing. And there will be countless debates and presentations.. How will i endure this when im not even fluent in this language? And furthermore, i am sorta self conceited especially when it comes to studies . So I absolutely despite making a fool out of myself in a huge crowd..which will happen since am pretty sure that i will be clueless during debates and presentations. And marks are given according to participation........ How will i survive 4 years of this?
My parents don't give a damn about my opinion so advice like talk to your parents and switch unis etc etc wont work AT ALL...

Im already having hardships living by myself in a developed country when i was living my entire life in an underdeveloped country... Things were pretty harsh when i first rode the plane all the way here and all by myself.... And everything was so different. Technology was so advanced. Rules were different. People were selfish and rude. I was just not used to this...

It sounds like you've been through a massive culture shock, and that's going to take a while to sink in. Do you have any family in the country you're in now who you can ask for advice about things like banking, public transport, phone contracts etc?

With the language thing, I'm guessing you passed your uni's language requirements, so they would expect you to be able to cope with the course. And living in that country with total immersion will help improve your grasp of that language. Studying in a foreign language is exhausting for lots of people though. I would also see if you can find a native speaker (not on the same course) to proof read your essays.

It sounds really difficult for you. What's your student support like? Have they got lots of experience with international students?
Reply 2
Original post by Rearch
I*had to talk about this before i go cray.*

It can't be that bad.

Right now i feel sooo isolated. Im starting university tomorrow. First of all i am definitely unhappy with my life. For me, my primary language IS English and not my native language [Let us assume it is German (it is not though!!)] i was forced to come to my mother country and attend a university in this country.

Okay, it's bad.

And this university's lecture is 100% in my native language. I'm so nervous about the lectures like how i wont understand a thing. And there will be countless debates and presentations.. How will i endure this when im not even fluent in this language?

I'm sure it's not only you, some students will be in the same situation, well, not exactly on your lectures but probably 'somewhere else'. Also, check for student support availability.

And furthermore, i am sorta self conceited especially when it comes to studies . So I absolutely despite making a fool out of myself in a huge crowd..which will happen since am pretty sure that i will be clueless during debates and presentations. And marks are given according to participation........ How will i survive 4 years of this?

Just relax.

Spoiler

Tell me where people aren't selfish and rude and I'm moving straight away. But seriously, it will take some time for you to adapt to new circumstances.

Its not 'shiet'. It would be great to hear how your first day went.

Also, it would be great if you could perhaps find someone to check your work, as the person above me said.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
It sounds like you've been through a massive culture shock, and that's going to take a while to sink in. Do you have any family in the country you're in now who you can ask for advice about things like banking, public transport, phone contracts etc?

With the language thing, I'm guessing you passed your uni's language requirements, so they would expect you to be able to cope with the course. And living in that country with total immersion will help improve your grasp of that language. Studying in a foreign language is exhausting for lots of people though. I would also see if you can find a native speaker (not on the same course) to proof read your essays.

It sounds really difficult for you. What's your student support like? Have they got lots of experience with international students?

Well i do have my family relatives but we are not close. In fact I feel distant with then like how I would feel with a stranger. I was overseas for so long that we were never in contact.
Well as far as I know there aren't many international students here so i feel even more trapped. In fact i do believe im experiencing culture differences. Like for example, I'd have to really watch my mouth when am talking about things since some words are literally taboo here xD. Ah well i cant help the fact im sorta a pessimist and worry about things toooooo much. Thank you for understanding ☺️☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Impressive
It can't be that bad.

Okay, it's bad.

I'm sure it's not only you, some students will be in the same situation, well, not exactly on your lectures but probably 'somewhere else'. Also, check for student support availability.

Just relax.

Spoiler

Tell me where people aren't selfish and rude and I'm moving straight away. But seriously, it will take some time for you to adapt to new circumstances.

Its not 'shiet'. It would be great to hear how your first day went.

Also, it would be great if you could perhaps find someone to check your work, as the person above me said.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im aware it is not shiet x3 just typed it that way... I know there are students out there who will or is experiencing the same thing. Which makes me feel much better knowing that am not the only one. I know this. My brain knows this everybody tells me this but my heart is discontent cause currently within my "circle" there ain't anyone who i can relate to.

I think the fact that people hide their pain with happy faces and laughing all the time makes me oblige to do the same. Which makes me even more frustrated cause i can't complain about things since if i do people will probably hate my negativity. Woops and here it goes again. My pessimism.
I guess ill just have to find a new friend that i feel comfy and rant about crap. >~<
This is going to be my number one goal >_<

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rearch
Well i do have my family relatives but we are not close. In fact I feel distant with then like how I would feel with a stranger. I was overseas for so long that we were never in contact.
Well as far as I know there aren't many international students here so i feel even more trapped. In fact i do believe im experiencing culture differences. Like for example, I'd have to really watch my mouth when am talking about things since some words are literally taboo here xD. Ah well i cant help the fact im sorta a pessimist and worry about things toooooo much. Thank you for understanding ☺️☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile

Even so, I'm sure they would be happy to help out with advice on practical issues if they arise. Although you don't feel close, having some sort of safety net in the country your in has to be better than nothing. I'm sure they'd be keen to get back in contact if you sent them an email or something.

Do remember that everyone is worrying, even if they've only moved an hour down the road- it's a big change for them.

Does the uni have anything like an international students society/network where you could meet others in the same boat?
Reply 6
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
Even so, I'm sure they would be happy to help out with advice on practical issues if they arise. Although you don't feel close, having some sort of safety net in the country your in has to be better than nothing. I'm sure they'd be keen to get back in contact if you sent them an email or something.

Do remember that everyone is worrying, even if they've only moved an hour down the road- it's a big change for them.

Does the uni have anything like an international students society/network where you could meet others in the same boat?

I guess a part of me just won't accept a non-english speaking country as my own >~<
I Hope they do have international support/service. Would Love to check that out.. I think i was just freaking out by my own weaknesses instead of focusing on my strengths and trying to improve my weakness like my own native language. Furthermore finding out that im the only 'international student' in my course and this particular subject only gives grades not by mid or final terms but gives grades according to communicative skills (debates and presentations) kind of just freaked me out. I mean if it is an exam I can study and grasp the knowledge but no such exams are there in this subject and grades are given solely based on debates and presentations. This could be my biggest disadvantage. But then again on the bright side. I think this might actually help me build confidence in my own language and start to learn more vocabs etc etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest