The Student Room Group

Harvard abolishes 'master' in titles in slavery row

I link the article below

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-35659685

Harvard has not agreed that the use of "master" represented a link to slavery, but it has accepted campaigners' calls for a name change.
It will mean changing the job titles of 24 members of staff - but will not affect other uses of "master", such as a master's level degree.
Harvard academics say that the word "master" derives from the Latin term "magister" - a form of address for scholars or teachers. It is similar to terms such as "school master" or "head master".
... protesters have argued that whatever its original derivation, the word now has connotations of slavery.Student campaigners are also calling for a change in the official seal of Harvard Law School, with a sit-in being held this week.

I disagree with the protesters and feel that the word master is not so problematic that it ought to be changed. What're your thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

I imagine the poisonous BlackLivesMatter movement had something to do with this. Absurd reasoning.
This is beyond ******ed.
I don't understand why blacks get so uppity about slavery; neither they, their parents or grandparents would have experienced actual slavery and it seems like some of them will try to find any way to make modern day America pay reparations for something that happened over 150 years ago that they never personally experienced. The suffering of blacks is not unique to the annuls of history, just as slavery is not unique to blacks. Should Italians pay reparations for enslaving Christians in the Roman Empire? No. They need to sit down and pipe down.
One might also argue that the Harvard degree classifications are also problematic:

cum laude

magna cum laude

summa cum laude

egregia cum laude

maxima cum laude

they all sound like sex film worker names ?
Original post by the bear
One might also argue that the Harvard degree classifications are also problematic:

cum laude

magna cum laude

summa cum laude

egregia cum laude

maxima cum laude

:rofl:
Ugh, next they'll be telling us we can't masturbate any more because it sounds wrong.
Original post by JohnGreek
Absolutely. These are the privileged cis male academics over there bearing down on working-class prostitutes!

:yay:

:five:

:dice:
Original post by chazwomaq
Ugh, next they'll be telling us we can't masturbate any more because it sounds wrong.

[scrollr]:dice:[/scrollr]

this character will soon be banned from our screens:

I don't want to belittle their position but I can't help thinking "so what if master has slavery connotations". It, and other words have a multiple meanings and variation in usage. It stinks of entitlement and it's my hope it doesn't catch on. Still, I'm curious to see what someone who agrees has to say.
http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2015/12/2/house-masters-change-title/
“The House Masters have unanimously expressed a desire to change their title,” Khurana told faculty members in a prepared statement at the meeting.

Last week, Khurana said he personally feels uncomfortable with the title and that the College’s House masters, faculty members who oversee student residences, have been discussing changing it for some time.

Conversations about changing the title were ongoing even before Smith assumed the FAS deanship in 2007, he said.

So a group of people who dislike their current job title (which is pretty fuddy duddy regardless of any other connotations) have changed their jobs title to be more reflective of the role.

:indiff:
Well this is just silly, student movements seem to be getting more and more ridiculous by the year. I'm hoping that is just anecdotal and not an actual trend
24 people at a university have their job titles changed. No big deal.

The problem is the internet is full of people looking to get outraged at people getting outraged. So such non-stories make great clickbait for news sites dependent on adverting revenue. It's the people who complain about such stories that are responsible for them being promoted over real news issues.
Original post by PQ
http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2015/12/2/house-masters-change-title/

So a group of people who dislike their current job title (which is pretty fuddy duddy regardless of any other connotations) have changed their jobs title to be more reflective of the role.

:indiff:

I stand corrected. In Harvard, at least, those who held the title felt uncomfortable about the title.
But similar rages and debates are also occurring in Yale and there is no evidence that the college masters there have a similar distaste for the title.

While it might be the case the term might change here because faculty disliked the term, do you think the protesters have a valid point? I would be uncomfortable with such a change being forced upon staff at another institution. And what then of other usages of the term such as the level of education?

cum laude

magna cum laude

summa cum laude

egregia cum laude

maxima cum laude

:rofl::rofl2:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by napkinsquirrel
I don't understand why blacks get so uppity about slavery; neither they, their parents or grandparents would have experienced actual slavery and it seems like some of them will try to find any way to make modern day America pay reparations for something that happened over 150 years ago that they never personally experienced. The suffering of blacks is not unique to the annuls of history, just as slavery is not unique to blacks. Should Italians pay reparations for enslaving Christians in the Roman Empire? No. They need to sit down and pipe down.

You sir are a f****** c***

Not that I really care for anything you have to say (reply if you wish) but I guess the Jews should have been left high and dry with ZERO reparations from Germany?

Actually don't reply
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
I stand corrected. In Harvard, at least, those who held the title felt uncomfortable about the title.
But similar rages and debates are also occurring in Yale and there is no evidence that the college masters there have a similar distaste for the title.

While it might be the case the term might change here because faculty disliked the term, do you think the protesters have a valid point? I would be uncomfortable with such a change being forced upon staff at another institution. And what then of other usages of the term such as the level of education?

I can't speak for the people protesting the term on race grounds. I don't think it's inappropriate to highlight terminology or traditions that don't fit in an organisation committed to welcoming people from all backgrounds. And I think it's the sign of an organisation that *does* welcome people from all backgrounds if those criticisms are taken seriously regardless of whether something is changed or not.

I do know that I personally wouldn't accept a job with the title Master because it's a gendered job title and completely outdated. I wouldn't want to work for an organisation so stuck in the past that they'd actively prioritise tradition over inclusion.
Postgraduate degrees will still be "Master of..."
Women aren't campaigning that undergraduate degrees are "Bachelor of..."
Stupid student protestors.
Original post by LVRG
You sir are a f****** c***

Not that I really care for anything you have to say (reply if you wish) but I guess the Jews should have been left high and dry with ZERO reparations from Germany?

Actually don't reply

Amazing, thanks for such a civil response.

There is a difference between monetary reparations and "the word master offends me, change it now". Even so, if you are trying to imply that the onus for reparations are on the America, you are forgetting about the all the black African and Caribbean slavers who sold the slaves off in the first place.

Thank you again for you open mindedness and reasoned argument.
Reply 19

cum laude

magna cum laude

summa cum laude

egregia cum laude

maxima cum laude

I needed protection to just read that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending