The Student Room Group

Nervous to get the train

Hey,

I get really bad anxiety and I've got a phobia of being sick. I've always been fine on trains and everything and been so relaxed, but recently I've been getting panic attacks and I'm struggling to calm down.

Tomorrow I'm going to visit my boyfriend in Manchester (Euston - Manc Piccadilly 2h) I've done this journey like 5 times and I've always been fine, but I read online people get travel sickness from this train because it tilts. I'm now terrified for tomorrow, even though I've got the train before and I know there is a bit that tilts just outside of London and my stomach just tenses for a second and then it's fine, but now I'm even more stressed and it's an hour and a half until the first stop so if I really panic I can't even get off :frown: I'm planning on getting some travel sickness tablets just to mentally sooth myself and reassure, is there anything I can do to prevent any ill feelings, even just mentally :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AdorableDrip
Hey,

I get really bad anxiety and I've got a phobia of being sick. I've always been fine on trains and everything and been so relaxed, but recently I've been getting panic attacks and I'm struggling to calm down.

Tomorrow I'm going to visit my boyfriend in Manchester (Euston - Manc Piccadilly 2h) I've done this journey like 5 times and I've always been fine, but I read online people get travel sickness from this train because it tilts. I'm now terrified for tomorrow, even though I've got the train before and I know there is a bit that tilts just outside of London and my stomach just tenses for a second and then it's fine, but now I'm even more stressed and it's an hour and a half until the first stop so if I really panic I can't even get off :frown: I'm planning on getting some travel sickness tablets just to mentally sooth myself and reassure, is there anything I can do to prevent any ill feelings, even just mentally :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

If its a virgin train, you really barely notice a tilt at all, sitting towards the middle of the train could help.
I used to be scared of trains, well more scared of getting on the wrong one and ending up in a random location. But I got over it just through battling my fears and getting trains anyway :tongue: But with you it seems to be just general anxiety you are struggling with. I would advise that you visit your GP for help as it does seem as though you are suffering from anxiety quite badly, especially as you are suffering panic attacks, and your GP may be able to offer you some medication to help with that.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by claireestelle
If its a virgin train, you really barely notice a tilt at all, sitting towards the middle of the train could help.

I'm in coach D. It is the virgin one! I've gotten it before and it was absolutely fine, but I've stressed myself out by reading that it makes people feel really really unwell and sick. It was so stupid of me to look and now I'm stressed I'll get sick, even though I've done that train over 10 times! I'm going to sit in the aisle seat anyway so when it does tilt I'm still pretty central. Hopefully the travel sickness tablets will calm my anxiety because I know the anxiety will make me 10x worse :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey,

Posted from TSR Mobile

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistical-data-sets/rai05-rail-accidents-and-safety
Don't worry, there is a chance you won't die horribly in a massive train wreck. :smile:
Original post by Username002
https://www.gov.uk/government/statistical-data-sets/rai05-rail-accidents-and-safety
Don't worry, there is a chance you won't die horribly in a massive train wreck. :smile:

I'm not scared about dying :P just getting travel sick

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm not scared about dying :P just getting travel sick

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, don't travel then. Can't wait until you feel the jolt of the train and heave your guts up :]
I'm in coach D. It is the virgin one! I've gotten it before and it was absolutely fine, but I've stressed myself out by reading that it makes people feel really really unwell and sick. It was so stupid of me to look and now I'm stressed I'll get sick, even though I've done that train over 10 times! I'm going to sit in the aisle seat anyway so when it does tilt I'm still pretty central. Hopefully the travel sickness tablets will calm my anxiety because I know the anxiety will make me 10x worse :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well D is in the middle, so less tilt, and if you sit in the aisle that's less tilt as well i imagine? Drink lots of water and maybe have some sweets to chew? That helps me when im anxious
Original post by LiquidGold
Well D is in the middle, so less tilt, and if you sit in the aisle that's less tilt as well i imagine? Drink lots of water and maybe have some sweets to chew? That helps me when im anxious

I normally drink ginger and lemon water and have a load of mints and ginger biscuits. It's only 2 hours. I can do it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I ve never felt unwell if I m in the middle so I recon you ll be alright, you ll be near the shop too so you ll be close to drinks if you need one.

Quick Reply

Latest