The Student Room Group

hardest a-level

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chloe.lwt
I've heard biology and photography are pretty tough and I'm taking them both next year :s

Photography is a lot of work and you need 100% for A or A*. not that difficult though just time consuming and takes away from other subjects x
I've heard biology and photography are pretty tough and I'm taking them both next year :s

Oh, that *does* sound tough...try not to chip a nail while clicking the camera, okay pumpkin?
Biology isn't as conceptually challenging as the other sciences, physics and chemistry, but the volume of learning required is huge. I think this is what makes it so hard as it detracts your learning from your other subjects. I can't speak for photography though.
Reply 83
CIE Biology.
Reply 84
All A-levels are challenging in my view. Of course, it's highly subjective, with individuals finding some topics easier than others. But overall, I would say that they are called 'Advance' Levels for a reason :redface:
Reply 85
Original post by EmmaO'Neill
Photography is a lot of work and you need 100% for A or A*. not that difficult though just time consuming and takes away from other subjects x

...uhm, you need 100% for an A or A*? You do realise that makes literally zero sense, right?
Original post by Zacken
...uhm, you need 100% for an A or A*? You do realise that makes literally zero sense, right?

:rofl:
Reply 87
Original post by Student403
:rofl:

Oh well, perhaps doing photography instead of maths was a good choice for that user. :lol:
Original post by Zacken
Oh well, perhaps doing photography instead of maths was a good choice for that user. :lol:

Savageeee lmfao
Reply 89
Original post by Student403
Savageeee lmfao

Too savage. Sorry user, you're awesome anyway. :yep:

Biology at that level was rather easy in contrast to another natural sciences (have had all of them at that level). Physics is the hardest in terms of this category and at that level - in my opinion.
Original post by medapplicant2016
CHEMISTRY - hands down..it's impossible

OMG I AGREE, I FIND IT HARDER THAN PHYSICS! Organic chemistry though -_-
There is no definite answer. The hardest A-level is the one any given student has their own most difficulty with:

Tone deaf and hate most music genres apart from popular? Music ain't for you.

Two left thumbs and no creativity? Art gonna screw you up.

Struggle with dyslexia and/or suffer with Aspergers or other Autistic disorders? English Literature will not compute.

Scared of equations and no problem solving ability? Physics and Maths will drive you to despair.

Horses for courses as they say.
it depends - sit a scientist down to do a politics or history essay and they'll probably do a lot worse than someone who will fail a chemistry or physics exam. I got an E in chemistry AS but I got A*AA at the end of my A2s, in politics, philosophy and english language (I did also get a C in history - I got all As in AS and happened to do badly in one exam which happened to count for a lot of my overall mark, sadly, while getting a good A2 coursework grade which only counted for something like 25% - ridiculous)

it also depends on the quality of the teachers. I had a dreadful chemistry teacher who would NEVER help me (or anybody) when I was stuck. but my other teachers were *so* helpful it was unbelievable. they were totally instrumental to my success. my chemistry teacher was instrumental to my failure.
(edited 8 years ago)
I did English Lit, French, History, and Spanish. I found them all easy. My school didn't offer Ancient Greek or Latin :frown:

Think I would have found Maths easy too because I'm good at it and I like it but I would have found Chemistry very boring. Biology is more interesting than Physics to me. At that level I think interest counts for a lot - does at any level really.
I'm taking Chemistry and further chemistry, and I can honestly say that they are the bane of my existence, it doesn't help that my area of interest is entirely biology based rather than chemical formulas and atom structures etc, and that maths is by far my worst subject and further chemistry being made up of mostly maths :s-smilie:

Also, having taken A Level Art and design previously, there just weren't enough hours in the day to manage the work load alongside my other A levels as well as the teacher's 'creative vision' being different to my own, earning me less desirable grades... that course just sucked my passion for art away from me...
(edited 8 years ago)
Beyond the ones mentioned, I imagine a more obscure FL like Japanese or perhaps A level music would be difficult.

Original post by TeeEm
Maths if you put work in is one of the easiest A Levels

It's no easier than any of the others imo :ninja:.
Reply 97
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
Beyond the ones mentioned, I imagine a more obscure FL like Japanese or perhaps A level music would be difficult.

It's no easier than any of the others imo :ninja:.

all opinions are welcome
Original post by uberteknik
There is no definite answer. The hardest A-level is the one any given student has their own most difficulty with:

Tone deaf and hate most music genres apart from popular? Music ain't for you.

Two left thumbs and no creativity? Art gonna screw you up.

Struggle with dyslexia and/or suffer with Aspergers or other Autistic disorders? English Literature will not compute.

Scared of equations and no problem solving ability? Physics and Maths will drive you to despair.

Horses for courses as they say.

I'd probably do well at English lit and I have asperger's. I was fine at GCSE. I can only guess how I'd perform at A level. Analytical skills can be taught and you can always cheat from the likes of yorknotes.

I can't imagine Art being easy to cram which is usually what I look at when I consider whether a subject is easy or not.
Original post by RonnieRJ
Which genius told you photography was one of the hardest lol?😂🌚

Original post by Username002
Oh, that *does* sound tough...try not to chip a nail while clicking the camera, okay pumpkin?

Does it make you feel better to be nasty to people online?

Quick Reply