The Student Room Group

Can a guy and a girl truly be just friends?

Scroll to see replies

You're more likely to be attracted to people who seem to have weak tie strength to your own genetic type. So it's easier to maintain platonic friendships with people who resemble your family.
you can be friends where you both know you would like "r*mpy-p*mpy" but do not actually "get down to it"
Original post by Blondie987
The gender that you typically find attractive, I'm assuming that most straight men are not attracted to every single woman they meet?

are you assuming most men wouldn't want to have sex with most women? :lol: if a man finds a woman both physically and personally attractive then I wouldn't know what would prevent him from wanting sex even more, unless of course they were related. but there is no cultural norm of "non-attraction" between two unrelated people like there is between people who're in the same family. what would cause them to not be attracted to one another? the problem isn't "why haven't you asked him/her out yet?" (because fear of having the entire friendship altogether ending if the other person happens to not be attracted is a bad consequence) - the problem is "why don't you feel the feelings you obviously should be feeling as a human being with certain sexual instincts?"
Definitely, why not? You can be friends with anyone and not develop intimate feelings for them! I have many male friends and they are all great guys, I enjoy their company and we have lots in common. But I have a boyfriend too and he's the only one I love!
So I don't see why guys and girls can't be just friends. :smile:
Reply 24
It is possible (impo) that a guy and a girl can just be friends. It has worked for me but I guess may not work for all. We are all different 😎
If a girl is attractive then, from my point of view, no. It would be really difficult. Especially if we're talking bout being really good friends, it would mean we'd have to get closer emotionally and if she's attractive then I'll likely catch the feels. Friendship ruined.
Original post by sleepysnooze
that is disgusting. this actually makes me both sad and slightly angry. how did she do this to you? I can only imagine. your balls must be bruising as ****.

Nah I'm cool actually.

Same way I love my guy friends..as friends.

So what you're actually saying is males and females can't be best friends?

How would i be best friends if she had qualities I didn't like? Same way how can I be best friends with my guys if they don't have qualities I don't like?
I've been best friends with a guy for the last 10 years and I haven't caught any feelings, I'm pretty certain he hasn't either. Some of my friends didn't believe we were just friends until they saw us together and now they understand it.
Yes. One of my best friends in my mid teens was female and, while we did kiss a lot, there were no romantic feelings there. Beyond this, I have had numerous female friends with whom the thought of being romantically involved horrifies me.
Original post by Katty3
Or he's gay or asexual. And by your logic, bisexual people can't have any friends at all because they're attracted to men and women.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My favourite post on tsr to date!

Take note people.
Original post by MaseratiJay
Nah I'm cool actually.

Same way I love my guy friends..as friends.

no it's not "the same way" - unless you're bisexual. if you're not attracted to men then how is it "in the same way"? you're attracted to girls, right? and she's a girl? an attractive girl?

So what you're actually saying is males and females can't be best friends?

yes that's what I am saying - they can pretend to not have feelings but there is no social institution (like the discouragement of incest that constrains their natural inclination, which is probably natural as well as institutional) to not feel attraction towards each other if there's nothing the matter with themselves

How would i be best friends if she had qualities I didn't like? Same way how can I be best friends with my guys if they don't have qualities I don't like?

again, are you implying that you're bisexual? do you even have an idea of what "sexuality" is? if you have heterosexuality, then what stops you from liking her if you admitted you find her attractive? are you just extraordinarily fussy and with hilariously high standards?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by sleepysnooze
no it's not "the same way" - unless you're bisexual. if you're not attracted to men then how is it "in the same way"? you're attracted to girls, right? and she's a girl? an attractive girl?

Okay this is my point...

There is love for family i.e mum and dad and uncles; cousins etc
There is love for your pets
There is love for your interests whether it be music/art/whatever
There is love for friends,

I am a straight male, so yes I do only like women.

When I say I love her as a friend the same way as my male mates I meant I love them all as mates.

Whether a female friend is 'attractive' or not I still love them as a best mate.

I will put it in an easier way then, yes she is attractive but we are better suited as friends. Neither of us are jealous when the other is dating/in a relationship.

Just because I find someone attractive doesn't mean I want to be with them or we'd be good together, that's basically what I was getting at.

But I do see what you're saying.
When my best friend and I met for the first time I thought he was interested in me romantically. He shut me down and he didn't do it in the nicest way. I was upset and kept my distance from him for a few months. We reconnected and became really close. About the three years ago he abroad and said we should just get married. At this point in time I had no feelings for him, however I thought he had feelings for me.

He continued making comments about us having kids in future etc and I actually considered giving it a go. However when he came back to the UK he acted like we hadn't even had that conversation. It was so weird, I mean in my head I was thinking we could end up being good together.

We are still pretty close, he's in a relationship now and I definetly don't have feelings for him. The way he acted both times has bothered me a bit over the years... But yeah I believe that it if often one sided and I'm the beginning one person probably likes the other.
From what I've seen and experienced one (rarely both) catches feelings and it's usually the guys...
Nah you always wanna smash her :s-smilie:
Yes. I have loads of guys that I am just friends with.

E.g. @Zargabaath, @ZuluK, @z33

I only date men who's username doesn't begin with Z :yep:
Original post by gertautas
Nah you always wanna smash her :s-smilie:

only if you're bruce banner
Original post by Zargabaath
only if you're bruce banner

:congrats::congrats::congrats:
Original post by mkap
i agree, after a while later when you become close, feelings start to catch in most cases, just watch Kuch Kuch Hota Hai :lol:

I was just watching that right now as I read this..... :K:
Reply 39
Original post by donutellme
I was just watching that right now as I read this..... :K:

its my fave oldish bollywood film...get ready to cry haha

Quick Reply

Latest