The Student Room Group

AQA Psychology A2 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rileystringer1
You don't? Lucky you! Across both years we have to learn 28+ studies in full detail for Edexcel

I did AS OCR and we had to learn 15 in full detail, so I can understand it must be a nightmare! For A2 AQA It's purely essays, of which there's about 30+ to learn, and then a research methods section which is normal questions in the second paper!
Original post by A-LJLB
I did AS OCR and we had to learn 15 in full detail, so I can understand it must be a nightmare! For A2 AQA It's purely essays, of which there's about 30+ to learn, and then a research methods section which is normal questions in the second paper!

That's a **** way of testing what people have learned though isn't it, making them remember essays
I mean that's kind of what I do for Edexcel but still the questions are varied and there are smaller questions with just a few essays (two 12 markers in Unit 3, one 12 marker and one 18 marker [which is actually a 12 marker] in Unit 4 to be precise)
That's a **** way of testing what people have learned though isn't it, making them remember essays
I mean that's kind of what I do for Edexcel but still the questions are varied and there are smaller questions with just a few essays (two 12 markers in Unit 3, one 12 marker and one 18 marker [which is actually a 12 marker] in Unit 4 to be precise)

Writing the essays themselves requires academic capability, but after that it's a memory game! They're all 24 markers, and the time limit to learn them in is ridiculous! There are some occasions where they'll ask a 4/6 mark question and then a 20/18 mark essay or similar. I need an A too, as if it wasn't hard enough!
Original post by A-LJLB
Writing the essays themselves requires academic capability, but after that it's a memory game! They're all 24 markers, and the time limit to learn them in is ridiculous! There are some occasions where they'll ask a 4/6 mark question and then a 20/18 mark essay or similar. I need an A too, as if it wasn't hard enough!

I wouldn't even say writing essays for psychology requires academic capability, because you can just write what's in your notes and then get your essays up to full marks by going through them with your teacher

Good luck though, I'm sure you'll get that A :smile:
I wouldn't even say writing essays for psychology requires academic capability, because you can just write what's in your notes and then get your essays up to full marks by going through them with your teacher

Good luck though, I'm sure you'll get that A :smile:

I suppose, although I personally don't write exactly what's in my notes as I don't want the examiner to think "Here we go again..." as I write exactly what everyone else in my college wrote! However, our teacher doesn't go through them due to how time consuming it'd be, so we're on our own there!

Thank you, I hope so! Good luck to you too
Anyone want to share their essays so that I can see how I should be writing, to get an A, how much I need to write and how many studies approx I need to use.

I have Saj Devshi's Loopa books but they don't have many studies and are extremely long, require a lot of work to memorise one of his essays (at least 4 pages), even harder to write that in timed conditions, let alone remember them! I copied one and handed it in, to see what the teacher thought the essay was worth, and all 3 times I never got higher than a C - so I am definetly disappointed and now I need to move on.
Original post by TrojanH
Anyone want to share their essays so that I can see how I should be writing, to get an A, how much I need to write and how many studies approx I need to use.

I have Saj Devshi's Loopa books but they don't have many studies and are extremely long, require a lot of work to memorise one of his essays (at least 4 pages), even harder to write that in timed conditions, let alone remember them! I copied one and handed it in, to see what the teacher thought the essay was worth, and all 3 times I never got higher than a C - so I am definetly disappointed and now I need to move on.

His books are helpful as a basis, but I change them up a lot. His studies are far too detailed. I'd recommend just writing your own using them as a guide and using your notes from class. A C is good! I struggle with the timed conditions as well, it'll come with practice.
(edited 8 years ago)
Can anyone share there A grade essay up here or PM me ? I have been struggling to write a good essay... And since my teacher isnt very experienced, I do doubt her markings. Last year, I had been getting As in my homework but at the end I only got a B in the exam. I was very disappointed :frown:
Original post by A-LJLB
His books are helpful as a basis, but I change them up a lot. His studies are far too detailed. I'd recommend just writing your own using them as a guide and using your notes from class. A C is good! I struggle with the timed conditions as well, it'll come with practice.

Would you mind taking a pic or something and showing me what a really good essay looks like? I agree that a C is good, but students perform on different levels, and so with my target being an A, and my AS grade being an A, and the fact that I won't be satisfied until I get an A*, a C sort of really sucks right now.
Original post by TrojanH
Would you mind taking a pic or something and showing me what a really good essay looks like? I agree that a C is good, but students perform on different levels, and so with my target being an A, and my AS grade being an A, and the fact that I won't be satisfied until I get an A*, a C sort of really sucks right now.

Ah, exactly the same expectations of yourself that I have of me!
I don't really have anything I can send you as of yet (nothing legible anyway!). The marks are all in the linking back to the theory! All of my essays have technically been A's and A*s when judged with the mark scheme, however our teacher marks them the typical 90%, 80% way. My essays weren't the best quality but by linking every evaluation point back to the theory and elaboration I scored high marks!
Hey guys. I have uploaded a few of my essays earlier in this thread so feel free to check them out. Anyways, I have another essay called "Discuss the biological explanations of schizophrenia", which I got 20/24. I would advise you to use this essay as guide to construct your own essay. Enjoy! :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey guys, I have another essay called "Discuss explanations of institutional aggression", which I got 21/24. I would advise you to use this essay as guide to construct your own essay. Enjoy!
Original post by TrojanH

Loopa books are misleading, they are not essays but information copied from the great companion textbook.
Reply 73
My psycholgoy lecturer recommended an app called 'Quizlet' just to test out knowledge on stats for the essays as well as the psychologists, the app really helps because you can make your own revision cards 😊
I am really struggling with AO2/AO3. Does anyone have any tips or a structure I could use to write the evaluation? How many supporting studies should I use? How much IDA? And so on.. Thanks.
Original post by Gracekgs
I am really struggling with AO2/AO3. Does anyone have any tips or a structure I could use to write the evaluation? How many supporting studies should I use? How much IDA? And so on.. Thanks.

At least 4 supporting/critical studies, and around 3 points of IDA (link them!) and you'll be fine for getting top marks!
Does anyone have an A grade essay on Gender Dysphoria essay ????? :frown:
Does anyone have any A grade essays for Aggression, Relationships and Sleep? Really struggling with how to structure them to gain high marks, and also struggling with AO2/3. Thanks
Original post by charlieecooperr
i've attached my essays on aggression and relationships [i'll attach the relationship ones in the next comment as i can't fit them all in one post] (sorry i'm not doing sleep). Ive been getting A's for them and i'm predicted an A* so hopefully the essays will be of use to you :smile:

Your essays make mine look like an entire thesis.... Mine are so much longer!?
Original post by charlieecooperr
i've attached my essays on aggression and relationships [i'll attach the relationship ones in the next comment as i can't fit them all in one post] (sorry i'm not doing sleep). Ive been getting A's for them and i'm predicted an A* so hopefully the essays will be of use to you :smile:

Thank you so much! Will really help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending