The Student Room Group

Maths A-level

I want to study genetics or natural sciences and i am planning on choosing physics chemistry biology and maths for A levels this year, but I am not sure what type of maths are preferred eg . Mechanics/Statistics/Pure Maths. Does anyone know? Thanx
Original post by ErsieCh
I want to study genetics or natural sciences and i am planning on choosing physics chemistry biology and maths for A levels this year, but I am not sure what type of maths are preferred eg . Mechanics/Statistics/Pure Maths. Does anyone know? Thanx

Well for A level Maths the core modules which are based around pure maths are compulsory. For the applied modules, statistics is probably best if you want to go into an area related to Biology
Reply 2
Original post by kieran12321LFC
Well for A level Maths the core modules which are based around pure maths are compulsory. For the applied modules, statistics is probably best if you want to go into an area related to Biology

Thank you!!!! Well except from C4+S1+S2/C4+M1+M2 there is also the choice of FP1+FP2+D1, with FP standing for further, pure maths. So is statistics still the best choice in your opinion? Would doing more than 6 modules be helpful?
Original post by ErsieCh
Thank you!!!! Well except from C4+S1+S2/C4+M1+M2 there is also the choice of FP1+FP2+D1, with FP standing for further, pure maths. So is statistics still the best choice in your opinion? Would doing more than 6 modules be helpful?

The FP modules are only for Further Maths or Additional Maths and not for the normal Maths A level (well on my exam board, OCR, that's the case). I would still say statistics is most helpful and doing extra modules isn't really necessary unless you're applying to do Maths at uni
Reply 4
Original post by kieran12321LFC
The FP modules are only for Further Maths or Additional Maths and not for the normal Maths A level (well on my exam board, OCR, that's the case). I would still say statistics is most helpful and doing extra modules isn't really necessary unless you're applying to do Maths at uni

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest