The Student Room Group

UFC 196 - McGregor vs Diaz - who are you picking

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by kalclash
I agree with everything you're saying, and I still think Holm walks out with the victory in round 2 - 3 at the latest. Both are stand up fighters, both are coming to fight and both are aggressive. My prediction is that they meet in the middle and start smashing each other until one of them falls down. I'm thinking minute 4 of round 2.

How do you see it going?

Holly is patient. She'll use footwork and move around, so I don't think this ends in Round 1. Meisha is very resilient, so I think she can hold on a number of rounds if she likes. I'm not sure what would happen if she feels a signature Holly Holm leg kick, but I would think that, with the muscle Meisha's put on, her fists pack a punch- more so than Holm's. If it gets to the ground I think Meisha has a good chance, although I'm not sure if she'll be able to finish. Barring a head kick, I think it goes to decision.
Reply 61
Original post by Assan
Holly is patient. She'll use footwork and move around, so I don't think this ends in Round 1. Meisha is very resilient, so I think she can hold on a number of rounds if she likes. I'm not sure what would happen if she feels a signature Holly Holm leg kick, but I would think that, with the muscle Meisha's put on, her fists pack a punch- more so than Holm's. If it gets to the ground I think Meisha has a good chance, although I'm not sure if she'll be able to finish. Barring a head kick, I think it goes to decision.

Interesting! That's 2 very different predictions right there! We'll have to wait and see who is right - probably neither of us and it'll end by submission :unimpressed:

You never said who you are picking to win?
Reply 62
It's really hard to bet on either of them. If I had to pick -- Holly. She has the better team and better hands.

Interesting! That's 2 very different predictions right there! We'll have to wait and see who is right - probably neither of us and it'll end by submission :unimpressed:

Reply 63

Interesting:
http://cagerank.com/G8yc.G0gd/Holly-Holm-vs-Miesha-Tate
http://mmajunkie.com/2016/02/the-guy-who-won-220k-on-holly-holm-is-wagering-77k-on-miesha-tate-at-ufc-196
Reply 64

That is interesting - Tate by submission in RD3. I really don't see it going that way at all, but they make a good case for it! I've never seen those breakdowns before, I don't think it's as easy as that to break down, but very interesting.

Robin Black does the best fight breakdowns and predictions in my opinion. I haven't seen him do any for Holm v Tate though. I need to google it later and see what he thinks...
Yeah man, I watched the fight on YouTube the day after. DaDa 5000 or whatever his name is was a complete joke. It's pretty sad he nearly died from dehydration from weight cutting, that fight should never have been commissioned.

It's a grey area whether the Diaz bros are vegan. I heard that Nate was broadly pescatarian and Nick was full vegan, but like you say there's nothing out there that confirms things either way. To be fair they probably don't want to be put in a box, they like to do their own thing and not give a f**k

DaDa was the start of a fairly interesting documentary (Dogfight) which is worth a watch. It's all about the backyard fighting scene.

Like I said, I believe they are both mostly vegan which in a dietary sense is probably good enough to count them. If one is full vegan then even better :tongue:

I do love their attitude. I thought the way Nick was treated by the commission was abhorrent. c
Original post by Assan
Do you know how many rounds this is?

And when it is?

People forget that Holly lost her early MMA fights, and that Ronda was doing a lot of press/movies, etc and the fight was moved up two months (I think it was 2). I'm not sure Holly is MMA dominant just yet, but we'll see.

5 rounds since it's a title fight, and Holly is undefeated in MMA so idk what you're talking about there
I just imagined Ewan McGregor And Cameron Diaz beating the **** out of each over for a second :':wink: I know nothing about UFC but I'd love to! Kind of reminds me of Dragon Ball Z, good natured fighting for entertainment and sportsmanship and not so much out of hate!
Reply 68
Original post by ByronicHero
DaDa was the start of a fairly interesting documentary (Dogfight) which is worth a watch. It's all about the backyard fighting scene.

Like I said, I believe they are both mostly vegan which in a dietary sense is probably good enough to count them. If one is full vegan then even better :tongue:

I do love their attitude. I thought the way Nick was treated by the commission was abhorrent. c

Yeah they showed themselves to be totally corrupt, petty, vicious and arrogant. It was sickening that his opponent gets away with essentially a slap on the wrists for taking steroids and clearly lying about it when he was given a 6 figure fine and essentially a lifetime ban for smoking a little weed. Also under USADA rules he wouldn't have popped positive I believe.
Yeah they showed themselves to be totally corrupt, petty, vicious and arrogant. It was sickening that his opponent gets away with essentially a slap on the wrists for taking steroids and clearly lying about it when he was given a 6 figure fine and essentially a lifetime ban for smoking a little weed. Also under USADA rules he wouldn't have popped positive I believe.

It is one of the few instances I remember where pretty much the whole MMA world was furious.
Reply 70
It is one of the few instances I remember where pretty much the whole MMA world was furious.

What I found even stranger than that was the fact that the entire MMA community were in agreement about something!
What I found even stranger than that was the fact that the entire MMA community were in agreement about something!

I know. Even the Reebok deal had a vocal minority of supporters :tongue:
Reply 72
I know. Even the Reebok deal had a vocal minority of supporters :tongue:

That's true, however I think the support for the Reebok deal has decreased over time. In my opinion the Reebok deal is a criminal offence.
That's true, however I think the support for the Reebok deal has decreased over time. In my opinion the Reebok deal is a criminal offence.

It feels like restriction of trade or something doesn't it. I think it is likely to be renegotiated at some point.
Reply 74
It feels like restriction of trade or something doesn't it. I think it is likely to be renegotiated at some point.

It's exactly restriction of trade. The in cage sponsorship was totally lost and if a fighter was on a main card Fox or FX show, this would have been worth a lot of money previously. On top of that sponsorship packages that stretched outside of the cage will have reduced. It was a horrible, corporate decision and for Dana to insist it benefits the fighters is an insult.
It's exactly restriction of trade. The in cage sponsorship was totally lost and if a fighter was on a main card Fox or FX show, this would have been worth a lot of money previously. On top of that sponsorship packages that stretched outside of the cage will have reduced. It was a horrible, corporate decision and for Dana to insist it benefits the fighters is an insult.

It benefits the UFC, and some fighters who found it hard to get sponsorship. Maybe if that fighter's union takes off :dontknow:
Reply 76
Conor should defend his title or relinquish it
There were 2 main things which really pissed me off about the reebok deal.

1. Before they implemented the deal the UFC didn't even bother to consult any of their fighters about how much they were making each fight off sponsorship, they were so arrogant they just went ahead and set an arbitrarily low amount, then when a guy like brendan schaub reveals he was losing out on $100,000+ per fight, dana goes on national tv and calls him a liar, after which Brendan showed his contracts to Joe Rogan who reveals live on his podcast that Brendan wasn't infact lying. No apology from Dana or anything.

2. They implemented the deal while having fighters already locked in contracts, so the fighters had no choice to fight out there contracts while taking a massive pay cut and there was nothing they could do about it, am I the only one who thinks that is shady as ****? This basically caused Schaub to retire since the massive pay cut wasn't worth the head trauma anymore, if they released him he could go to bellator and make a lot more money but because he's locked in contract he can't, I'm not a Shaub fan either except he was one of the most vocal about it.

Also have to lol how the UFC always stresses they are independent contractors yet force them to wear a uniform and basically treat them like employees whenever it suits them.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 78
Original post by Greg Jackson
There were 2 main things which really pissed me off about the reebok deal.

1. Before they implemented the deal the UFC didn't even bother to consult any of their fighters about how much they were making each fight off sponsorship, they were so arrogant they just went ahead and set an arbitrarily low amount, then when a guy like brendan schaub reveals he was losing out on $100,000+ per fight, dana goes on national tv and calls him a liar, after which Brendan showed his contracts to Joe Rogan who reveals live on his podcast that Brendan wasn't infact lying. No apology from Dana or anything.

2. They implemented the deal while having fighters already locked in contracts, so the fighters had no choice to fight out there contracts while taking a massive pay cut and there was nothing they could do about it, am I the only one who thinks that is shady as ****? This basically caused Schaub to retire since the massive pay cut wasn't worth the head trauma anymore, if they released him he could go to bellator and make a lot more money but because he's locked in contract he can't, I'm not a Shaub fan either except he was one of the most vocal about it.

Also have to lol how the UFC always stresses they are independent contractors yet force them to wear a uniform and basically treat them like employees whenever it suits them.

Couldn't agree more, it's totally disgusting. MMA is at it's best when the UFC has a real competitor, like Pride and Strikeforce. When both of these organisations were at their peaks it felt like the UFC was having to make more of an effort to look after its fighters and put on better shows and generally care more about what the fans wanted.

Ultimately we know what happened with Pride and Strikeforce, and I'm sure the same will happen with Bellator if they grow big enough.

I honestly hope that Coker can grow Bellator to big a serious competitor to the UFC. At the moment I can't see that happening with the side show fights and lack of investment in up and coming talent.

What happened with Schaub, as you say, is totally unacceptable and would be representative for the majority of main card fighters.It's a shame that the UFC sees fit to treat their fighters like this. Dana in my opinion needs to go.
Reply 79
Well, well, well. What do I know? Well done Diaz.

Quick Reply

Latest