The Student Room Group

Harvard abolishes 'master' in titles in slavery row

Scroll to see replies

This site lol. Typical "know it all" teenagers that doesn't really have a clue about the real issues. Your opinions do not matter and are usually just strawman fallicies anyway.
Original post by ServantOfMorgoth
This site lol. Typical "know it all" teenagers that doesn't really have a clue about the real issues. Your opinions do not matter and are usually just strawman fallicies anyway.

Oh look, here comes Mister "it's a straw man fallacy".

Zip your collar up mate, your neckbeard's showing.

But yeah I agree, why does anyone even bother debating anything; it doesn't matter. Why does anyone get a job to earn money? It's not like your meaningless existence is going to change anything. In fact, why even bother breathing; might as well stop now and take the easy way out before you find out your opinion doesn't mean anything.
Original post by napkinsquirrel
Oh look, here comes Mister "it's a straw man fallacy".

Zip your collar up mate, your neckbeard's showing.

But yeah I agree, why does anyone even bother debating anything; it doesn't matter. Why does anyone get a job to earn money? It's not like your meaningless existence is going to change anything. In fact, why even bother breathing; might as well stop now and take the easy way out before you find out your opinion doesn't mean anything.

A typical teenage know it all arrogant response.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ServantOfMorgoth
A typical teenage know it all arrogant response.

I'm glad your opinion is so much more important.

Stay mad.
Original post by the bear
One might also argue that the Harvard degree classifications are also problematic:

cum laude

magna cum laude

summa cum laude

egregia cum laude

maxima cum laude

they all sound like sex film worker names ?

I loved Summa Cum Laude in "Six degrees of Penetration."
Original post by thunder_chunky
In loved Summa Cum Lauder in "Six degrees of Penetration."

indeed... a seminal piece of cinema
Original post by JohnGreek
I love it when people get all arrogant and sh*t without actually substantiating their argument. Please expand. What's the "real issue" here?

Spoiler

And yet you have done exactly the same here.
Original post by PQ
I can't speak for the people protesting the term on race grounds. I don't think it's inappropriate to highlight terminology or traditions that don't fit in an organisation committed to welcoming people from all backgrounds. And I think it's the sign of an organisation that *does* welcome people from all backgrounds if those criticisms are taken seriously regardless of whether something is changed or not.

I do know that I personally wouldn't accept a job with the title Master because it's a gendered job title and completely outdated. I wouldn't want to work for an organisation so stuck in the past that they'd actively prioritise tradition over inclusion.

It is outdated.

Interestingly, the main dictionaries (that Google consolidates to provide its definition) list the "owner of slaves" meaning right at the top of the list.
https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=master+definition
Original post by LVRG
You sir are a f****** c***

Not that I really care for anything you have to say (reply if you wish) but I guess the Jews should have been left high and dry with ZERO reparations from Germany?

Actually don't reply

Which jews? The one that suffered from the nazis or the ones that were born much later after the war?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
If black students had to address them as "why yes sir massa" I'd understand their point. As it is I don't.
Original post by Duncan2012
Postgraduate degrees will still be "Master of..."
Women aren't campaigning that undergraduate degrees are "Bachelor of..."
Stupid student protestors.

Careful, don't give them ideas
Original post by PQ
I can't speak for the people protesting the term on race grounds. I don't think it's inappropriate to highlight terminology or traditions that don't fit in an organisation committed to welcoming people from all backgrounds. And I think it's the sign of an organisation that *does* welcome people from all backgrounds if those criticisms are taken seriously regardless of whether something is changed or not.

I do know that I personally wouldn't accept a job with the title Master because it's a gendered job title and completely outdated. I wouldn't want to work for an organisation so stuck in the past that they'd actively prioritise tradition over inclusion.

Ew.

Let's go back to basics.

Why is the title "master" not inclusive?

"Because the professionally offended say so" will not be accepted as an answer.
Original post by scrotgrot
Ew.

Let's go back to basics.

Why is the title "master" not inclusive?

"Because the professionally offended say so" will not be accepted as an answer.

Personally - because the equivalent for me would be Mistress and much as I love Granny Weatherwax I'm not willing to share her title for any job - especially not one where 2 of the current people 28 performing the job consider CEO to be a more appropriate title. A job title that cannot be applied to half of the population is not inclusive.

In this particular case - because the current people *doing* that job are uncomfortable enough with the title that some of them went ahead single handed last year and stopped using it. I'd defer to the experience and understanding of the people in a job role about whether their job title is appropriate or not.
“The House Masters have unanimously expressed a desire to change their title,” Khurana told faculty members in a prepared statement at the meeting.

Last week, Khurana said he personally feels uncomfortable with the title and that the College’s House masters, faculty members who oversee student residences, have been discussing changing it for some time.

Conversations about changing the title were ongoing even before Smith assumed the FAS deanship in 2007, he said.

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2015/12/2/house-masters-change-title/

Ewwww those silly people who want to change their job title because it's outdated, fuddy duddy, gender specific and doesn't describe what they actually do.
Original post by PQ
Personally - because the equivalent for me would be Mistress and much as I love Granny Weatherwax I'm not willing to share her title for any job - especially not one where 2 of the current people 28 performing the job consider CEO to be a more appropriate title. A job title that cannot be applied to half of the population is not inclusive.

In this particular case - because the current people *doing* that job are uncomfortable enough with the title that some of them went ahead single handed last year and stopped using it. I'd defer to the experience and understanding of the people in a job role about whether their job title is appropriate or not.

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2015/12/2/house-masters-change-title/

Ewwww those silly people who want to change their job title because it's outdated, fuddy duddy, gender specific and doesn't describe what they actually do.

I suppose they did it to make their jobs sound more modern and businessy, like how these days even local councils have "CEOs". I don’t get to fiddle about with my job title to make me more marketable when I move on to some corporate junket so I don’t see why they should either.

They should respect tradition more. America has hardly any history as it is, why would you not respect the traditions of possibly the oldest institution in the New World?
(edited 8 years ago)
this almost makes me wish slavery was back so I could make slaves out of these idiots myself - not on racial lines. no. new lines. stupidity lines
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by PQ

Fair enough. I respect their right to complain.

Is it because your gendered term would be mistress? Male terms can often be unisex.

Do you think concertmasters, choirmasters should change their titles too?
Original post by Fullofsurprises
It is outdated.

Interestingly, the main dictionaries (that Google consolidates to provide its definition) list the "owner of slaves" meaning right at the top of the list.
https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=master+definition

Well no. "a man who has people working for him, especially servants or slaves." Note the synonyms lord and overlord,
Original post by sleepysnooze
this almost makes me wish slavery was back so I could make slaves out of these idiots myself - not on racial lines. no. new lines. stupidity lines

I might think the students are being ridiculous but this is an unjustified and stupid thing to say.
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
I might think the students are being ridiculous but this is an unjustified and stupid thing to say.

cry me a ****ing river - I wasn't being serious - you honestly think I want to make people into slaves? it was a hyperbole. jesus christ
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
Fair enough. I respect their right to complain.

Is it because your gendered term would be mistress? Male terms can often be unisex.

The job advert, the job description etc would need to include the job title. Unless it's described and advertised as "Master/Mistress" then a job that's titled "Master" isn't something I'd apply to or accept an offer for.

Do you think concertmasters, choirmasters should change their titles too?

Headteachers have. Most choirs have in my experience (admittedly limited).

It's definitely a term with (in the UK) tweedy overtones

Well no. "a man who has people working for him, especially servants or slaves." Note the synonyms lord and overlord,

I wouldn't want Lord (or Dame) as a job title either for the record....even though the pay is good.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending