The Student Room Group

Ngdp lga 2015/16

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
I'm out too :frown: never mind!
Right I'm through. Key info for anyone who has not got the e-mail yet:

There are five assessment centre in London and two in Manchester. Rather London-centric if you ask me.

London 17, 18, 21, 22 and 23 March 2016
Manchester 30 and 31 March 2016

According to the e-mail “The assessment centre has been planned to last four hours and will consist of a written exercise, a group exercise and an individual briefing exercise, but please allow five hours of your time.”

I think it helped for the video thing that my current work is with CAB so I could talk fairly coherently about some of the challenges loc gov is facing at the moment particularly around welfare reform/housing/UC from actually being on the front line of it.

Wouldn't mind hearing from someone who has been to one of these assessment centres before now. What are they like?

I'm probably going to go for the last date in London on the basis that I find something else between then and now I can cancel.
(edited 8 years ago)
Thats me out, well done to those who got through!
Reply 203
Original post by 3458349058349053
Right I'm through. Key info for anyone who has not got the e-mail yet:

There are five assessment centre in London and two in Manchester. Rather London-centric if you ask me.

London 17, 18, 21, 22 and 23 March 2016
Manchester 30 and 31 March 2016

According to the e-mail“The assessment centre has been planned to last four hours and will consist of a written exercise, a group exercise and an individual briefing exercise, but please allow five hours of your time.”

I think it helped for the video thing that my current work is with CAB so I could talk fairly coherently about some of the challenges loc gov is facing at the moment particularly around welfare reform/housing/UC from actually being on the front line of it.

Wouldn't mind hearing from someone who has been to one of these assessment centres before now. What are they like?

Yo.

Those who didn't make it - keep at it. 90% of people I've talked to in my cohort have faced rejection from NGDP or other grad schemes. Me included. I know it sucks but there's only ~110 spots and I'd wager my life savings (admittedly, not a great deal) on there being hundreds more great candidates. If you're interested, there's plenty of grad schemes where you can serve the public one way or another, NHS, Civ serv, HMRC, Ofcom, Police, Prison service and many more.

Those who were lucky enough to get through:

The assessment centre is by far the best I've ever been to. That is not to say don't work hard to prepare for it, but they don't take the piss in the way Civ serv/NHS/Ofcom do in terms of intensity/being haughty bastards. Plus, there's no interview (thank feck).

My experience was as follows: 3 exercises. Group, Individual presentation/discussion, Essay.

Disclaimer: It may have changed entirely so don't take this as gospel.

In the group discussion we had to consider a realistic scenario and come to a series of decisions as a group, pretty standard stuff really. Things (not an exhaustive list) to consider include:
trying to contribute well to discussion while not being overbearing
bringing other people in to the conversation
being willing to compromise where appropriate
attention to detail
little bits and bobs like organisational skill (can't be harmful to do the timekeeping).

The individual briefing was in front of some assessors. Again, it is not an interview at all. They are only interested in your argument/presentation. You do a bit of research/thinking, present and defend whatever conclusions you came to. The assessors (in my experience) asked fair questions and weren't looking to trip me up.

The essay was again, standard. Research/think, then write. Make sure you try to consider the full picture, not just financial/social/political in isolation. That said, you all know how to write essays at this point, so just do what you feel most comfortable with. This exercise was time pressured.

Won't go in to any more detail than that as it would be unfair to other candidates not on TSR.

Best of luck to you all!
(edited 8 years ago)
Didn't get in. Gutted but congrats to those that have. Good luck
Original post by Tlex
x

Yeah it is a numbers game at the end of the day. I've been filtered out many a time and might be still yet. I got rejected from a Universal Credit call centre position today which was rather humbling.

How many were at your assessment centre?
Original post by Tlex
Yo.

Those who didn't make it - keep at it. 90% of people I've talked to in my cohort have faced rejection from NGDP or other grad schemes. Me included. I know it sucks but there's only ~110 spots and I'd wager my life savings (admittedly, not a great deal) on there being hundreds more great candidates. If you're interested, there's plenty of grad schemes where you can serve the public one way or another, NHS, Civ serv, HMRC, Ofcom, Police, Prison service and many more.

Those who were lucky enough to get through:

The assessment centre is by far the best I've ever been to. That is not to say don't work hard to prepare for it, but they don't take the piss in the way Civ serv/NHS/Ofcom do in terms of intensity/being haughty bastards. Plus, there's no interview (thank feck).

My experience was as follows: 3 exercises. Group, Individual presentation/discussion, Essay.

Disclaimer: It may have changed entirely so don't take this as gospel.

In the group discussion we had to consider a realistic scenario and come to a series of decisions as a group, pretty standard stuff really. Things (not an exhaustive list) to consider include:
trying to contribute well to discussion while not being overbearing
bringing other people in to the conversation
being willing to compromise where appropriate
attention to detail
little bits and bobs like organisational skill (can't be harmful to do the timekeeping).

The individual briefing was in front of some assessors. Again, it is not an interview at all. They are only interested in your argument/presentation. You do a bit of research/thinking, present and defend whatever conclusions you came to. The assessors (in my experience) asked fair questions and weren't looking to trip me up.

The essay was again, standard. Research/think, then write. Make sure you try to consider the full picture, not just financial/social/political in isolation. That said, you all know how to write essays at this point, so just do what you feel most comfortable with. This exercise was time pressured.

Won't go in to any more detail than that as it would be unfair to other candidates not on TSR.

Best of luck to you all!

Do you know roughly how many make it to the Assessment Centre stage?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 207
Yeah it is a numbers game at the end of the day. I've been filtered out many a time and might be still yet. I got rejected from a Universal Credit call centre position today which was rather humbling.

How many were at your assessment centre?

I reckon about 50, 25 in the morning and 25 in the afternoon (I was morning). It's a bit of a blur numbers wise, and I couldn't comment on the AC at the other end of the country but that sounds about right. Of those about 1/3 got jobs. The council interview stage is challenging and important but doesn't filter much - the AC does the final filter, really. Or at least it did last year.

Complete guesstimates here but I'd say about 300-400 through to AC, 120 through to interviews and 110 get jobs.
(edited 8 years ago)
Wow, thanks for all the info everyone, esp @Tlex

On numbers, surely it's 18 x 14 = 252 people to AC as that is the amount of slots available by the amount of events, no? Seems about right to me - 2:1 at this point.

Commiserations to those who had bad news. I'm sure the cut was tight and in some ways arbitrary. You all seem great and very talented tho, good things await I'm sure :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 209
Got through to!! :smile:
Original post by paddy25

On numbers, surely it's 18 x 14 = 252 people to AC as that is the amount of slots available by the amount of events, no? Seems about right to me - 2:1 at this point.

Sounds about right. Feel like I’ve put such an effort in to get to this stage that it would be pretty disheartening to walk away with nothing. Good luck everyone.

Can't help but notice the 9am slots are not popular. Particularly if travelling from far away there is a danger of being half asleep.

Anyway that is enough excitement for one day. Better do some more applications in case this one doesn't work out in the end.
(edited 8 years ago)
I am also out this year, even though I got to the assessment centre last year (and it seems I am not the only one). Well done to everyone who made it, good luck on the next stage and enjoy - as strange as it sounds their assessment centre is actually a very good experience!
There are certain points I would want to make if I got to interview stage like certain council departments I have a particular interest in.

But my sense is you can't really 'revise' for the assessment centre other than remembering not to do anything stupid like saying "I think your idea is a load of rubbish" in a group exercise etc. There is something rather awkward with group exercises because ultimately we are not a team - are all competitors for a pretty decent grad scheme. I remember having to do a group exercise for ASDA (a till job not a grad scheme!) and it was awkward as some were being really competitive as you might be if you've got rent and bills to pay and the outcome of the interview is pretty important.
(edited 8 years ago)
There are certain points I would want to make if I got to interview stage like certain council departments I have a particular interest in.

But my sense is you can't really 'revise' for the assessment centre other than remembering not to do anything stupid like saying "I think your idea is a load of rubbish" in a group exercise etc. There is something rather awkward with group exercises because ultimately we are not a team - are all competitors for a pretty decent grad scheme. I remember having to do a group exercise for ASDA (a till job not a grad scheme!) and it was awkward as some were being really competitive as you might be if you've got rent and bills to pay and the outcome of the interview is pretty important.

I don't see it as that. If only one person from each group went through then yes you would be in competitions but as you can all go through you are not directly competing with the others in your group. In fact I would say that the opposite is true in that if you work as an effective team you can all help each other to progress.
Original post by Nightwing_
I don't see it as that. If only one person from each group went through then yes you would be in competitions but as you can all go through you are not directly competing with the others in your group. In fact I would say that the opposite is true in that if you work as an effective team you can all help each other to progress.

That is a nice sentiment but the reality is that a lot of culling of numbers is going to take place at these assessment centres. They can't put everyone through. It is not like the real world where there can be teamwork towards a common and mutually beneficial goal. Or maybe I've been watching too much Hunger Games...

In the ASDA group exercises I refer to I had people criticising/’correcting ‘the contributions of other team members. Really trying to ‘out-do’ each other. All for shelf stacking position! I didn’t take the bait and was utterly polite and courteous in a task where we had to introduce each other. I got through and they didn’t. :-D
Reply 215
That is a nice sentiment but the reality is that a lot of culling of numbers is going to take place at these assessment centres. They can't put everyone through. It is not like the real world where there can be teamwork towards a common and mutually beneficial goal. Or maybe I've been watching too much Hunger Games...

In the ASDA group exercises I refer to I had people criticising/’correcting ‘the contributions of other team members. Really trying to ‘out-do’ each other. All for shelf stacking position! I didn’t take the bait and was utterly polite and courteous in a task where we had to introduce each other. I got through and they didn’t. :-D

I can say for certain it will be less overtly competitive than any other AC you've been to. The group task wasn't designed to foster competition, it was intended to get you to co-operate. Criticising others would probably be an instant fail tbh.
Reply 216
Hi everyone! I'm through to the assessment centre stage too. Really exciting, but also don't really know what to expect from the experience. Can anyone shed any light on what a 'written exercise, a group exercise and an individual presentation/briefing exercise' will actually entail?
I applied to this on a total whim and am absolutely flabbergasted I've gotten to the AC, now I am so anxious for the group work! What kind of presentation do they ask for? Is anyone else going to the London centre? I'm closer to Manchester but picked London as I've never been to the former and being in a strange city would shred my nerves to pieces! Also how are you meant to dress - I'm guessing businesswear but not too formal?
Hey guys! I've noticed that they added two more assessment centre dates in London on the 1st of April (hopefully not a joke!) I find it a bit odd that they have not let us know this, but I figured it may be more convenient for some of you! For me it certainly is as I finish working abroad on 29th March - annoying as I literally just booked (admittedly very cheap) travel up to Manchester on the 30th... but I think this loss is offset by not having to take a coach for 5 hours :biggrin:
Reply 219
Original post by paddy25
Hey guys! I've noticed that they added two more assessment centre dates in London on the 1st of April (hopefully not a joke!) I find it a bit odd that they have not let us know this, but I figured it may be more convenient for some of you! For me it certainly is as I finish working abroad on 29th March - annoying as I literally just booked (admittedly very cheap) travel up to Manchester on the 30th... but I think this loss is offset by not having to take a coach for 5 hours :biggrin:

Really?! Ah that may be more convenient for me too... hmm. And, if I were in your shoes, I certainly wouldn't opt for the 5 hour coach journey given the choice!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending