The Student Room Group

My journey to 4 A's for a future Medical student :3

I've seen a lot of people doing this and I'm liking how it's motivated others, so I thought I'd join in! :biggrin:

GCSE Grades:
English Language: A
Maths: A
Chemistry: A
French: A
German: A
RE: A
Biology: B
Physics: B
History: B
English Literature: B

I've colour-coded my results according to how content I was with them.

Red - Dissapointed
Amber - Satisfied
Green - Happy

Generally, considering the amount of work that I had put in for these exams and the fact that I want to go into medicine, I wasn't very pleased with my results. After feeling deflated for about 2 weeks post-results day, I had decided to continue working on my A Levels (I had started revising for my A Levels around late July for 8 hours a day).

AS Mocks:
Biology - C
Chemistry - D
German - B
Maths - B

I thought I had worked hard enough for the mocks. However, according to my results, I didn't. I had done around 2 weeks of hard core revision day in and day out for all my subjects, particularly Chemistry and Biology.

I am now planning on revising as hard as I can (starting from Monday 22nd February 2016) in order to get my target grades for this year:

Target Grades:
Biology - A 95% overall
Chemistry - A 90% overall
German - A 95% overall
Maths - A 100% overall

I know it might seem as if I'm trying to over achieve, but I'm really determined to get these grades and I'm prepared to give up every bit of my social life if it means I'll get these!

I'll most likely start writing weekly updates every Monday on the amount of work I've done for that week and the amount of work I will plan to do the following week.
:biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey! Good luck with your revision and exams, I'm sure you'll do really well! :h: Also, please don't think you haven't worked hard enough, as A Levels are such a change from GCSE and sometimes its down to getting used the style of exams. I know loads of people who got similar mock results and ended up with AAAA in the summer, so just keep working hard and don't let yourself burn out. :h:
Original post by RosaB
Hey! Good luck with your revision and exams, I'm sure you'll do really well! :h: Also, please don't think you haven't worked hard enough, as A Levels are such a change from GCSE and sometimes its down to getting used the style of exams. I know loads of people who got similar mock results and ended up with AAAA in the summer, so just keep working hard and don't let yourself burn out. :h:

Hi! Thank you so much, that's very reassuring knowing that there have been people in similar situations to mine. I'll try to start off my revision slowly and start increasing it at a steady pace so I don't burn out or even worse, lose motivation. Thanks once again:smile:
Reply 3
Original post by TianaEsther
Hi! Thank you so much, that's very reassuring knowing that there have been people in similar situations to mine. I'll try to start off my revision slowly and start increasing it at a steady pace so I don't burn out or even worse, lose motivation. Thanks once again:smile:

No problem! :h: That sounds like a really good system to have! Just let me know if you have any questions or anything like that :h:
Original post by RosaB
No problem! :h: That sounds like a really good system to have! Just let me know if you have any questions or anything like that :h:

Thank you :smile:
So I'm planning on going quite easy on myself this week, I don't have a specific amount of work I am aiming for but I want to be satisfied with the amount of work I've done by the end of this week. I'll most likely only do homework and around 3 hours of revision every day after school (depending on what I have after school).
Hey love! I want to do medicine at uni too, and I got 1A* 11As and 1B at GCSE. I'm doing maths, chemistry and biology too! Maybe it would be good to keep in touch and share tips and resources if you want? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Great start to your blog :h:
Can't wait to read more!
Original post by kate13xox
Hey love! I want to do medicine at uni too, and I got 1A* 11As and 1B at GCSE. I'm doing maths, chemistry and biology too! Maybe it would be good to keep in touch and share tips and resources if you want? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi! You're grades are amazing! I would love to be study buddies, I think that's a great idea! What exam boards do you do?
Original post by Tank Girl
Great start to your blog :h:
Can't wait to read more!

Thank you:smile:
Week 1: Completed

Last week I just planned on going easy on myself, I'm glad I did because now I'm more motivated than I've ever been! So far today I've done 6 hours of revision, 2 hours per subject, (outside of lessons) and I'm going to do two more hours. I'll try and keep a routine going where I'll be doing averagely about 6-8 hours of revision a day.

Week 2:

For Biology this week I would like to have completed the entire Biological Molecules section (that includes going over the textbook, classroom notes, revision videos and of course, past paper questions).
For Chemistry I would like to have completed Atomic Structure and Bonding, again including all the aforementioned.
For Maths I would like to complete the first chapter of S1 and C2 as well as the first two chapters of C1 (including doing every question on exam solutions and working on every single question in all 6 of the textbooks I have).
Finally, for German I'm just planning on going over grammar since that's what let me down the most in my mock exam. For the AQA Grammar Workbook I'm planning on completing the entire Transition section as well as doing a bit of reading around my specification using the 'Zeitgeist 2nd Edition' workbook.

Extra:

I found out that my school is being incredibly slow when it comes to Chemistry (only done 9/16 chapters and I have a friend in a different school who's done everything and is now onto revision) so I'm also going to be reading ahead and just self-teaching for the remaining chapters until my school catches up and at that point it will be more like revision. I'm well on track for all my other subjects though which has kept me from losing my sanity. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
Week 1: Completed

Last week I just planned on going easy on myself, I'm glad I did because now I'm more motivated than I've ever been! So far today I've done 6 hours of revision per subject (outside of lessons) and I'm going to do two more hours. I'll try and keep a routine going where I'll be doing averagely about 6-8 hours of revision a day.

Week 2:

For Biology this week I would like to have completed the entire Biological Molecules section (that includes going over the textbook, classroom notes, revision videos and of course, past paper questions).
For Chemistry I would like to have completed Atomic Structure and Bonding, again including all the aforementioned.
For Maths I would like to complete the first chapter of S1 and C2 as well as the first two chapters of C1 (including doing every question on exam solutions and working on every single question in all 6 of the textbooks I have).
Finally, for German I'm just planning on going over grammar since that's what let me down the most in my mock exam. For the AQA Grammar Workbook I'm planning on completing the entire Transition section as well as doing a bit of reading around my specification using the 'Zeitgeist 2nd Edition' workbook.

Extra:

I found out that my school is being incredibly slow when it comes to Chemistry (only done 9/16 chapters and I have a friend in a different school who's done everything and is now onto revision) so I'm also going to be reading ahead and just self-teaching for the remaining chapters until my school catches up and at that point it will be more like revision. I'm well on track for all my other subjects though which has kept me from losing my sanity. :smile:

How is it possible to do 6 hrs of revision per subject in a day ?
Original post by souhm
How is it possible to do 6 hrs of revision per subject in a day ?

I have an hour per day of supervised study during school, and then I'll do 5 hours after school (usually between the hours of 5-10/6-11).

Some days I have German lessons and other days I don't (there's only two people in my class so I only have German three times a week:Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday) so on the days that I don't have German I'll have an extra hour of supervised study enabling me to do roughly around 6-8 hours. :smile:

EDIT: I just reread what I wrote, I mean 6 hours of revision in total for my subjects (roughly about 2 hours per subject, sorry)!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13
I have an hour per day of supervised study during school, and then I'll do 5 hours after school (usually between the hours of 5-10/6-11).

Some days I have German lessons and other days I don't (there's only two people in my class so I only have German three times a week:Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday) so on the days that I don't have German I'll have an extra hour of supervised study enabling me to do roughly around 6-8 hours. :smile:

EDIT: I just reread what I wrote, I mean 6 hours of revision in total for my subjects (roughly about 2 hours per subject, sorry)!

So you do revision for one subject per day?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by souhm
So you do revision for one subject per day?

Not exactly, I'm aiming on doing an hour and a half to two hours per subject (depending on the day and how much time I have for revision).
Week 2: Incomplete

As much as I hate to admit it, I didn't do that much work last week. I had a lot of things to do and a lot of places to go to, and I feel as if I assigned myself too much work so towards the end of the week my revision had sort of 'died down'. Knowing how many things I have to do (i.e. tuition, homework, certain events etc.) I'll try and plan how much work to do realistically instead of optimistically. Last week I only did atomic structure in chemistry, half of biological molecules for biology, most of my transition work for German and the first two chapters of C1 for maths.

Week 3:

This week I intend on finishing off Biological molecules and nucleic acids for biology, bonding for chemistry, doing roughly about half of Topic 1 under my AQA German Grammar workbook and reading more on my Zeitgeist 2nd Edition book as well as doing more grammar work (my weakest point) and finally for maths I'm aiming on doing the first chapter of S1 and the third chapter of C1.

Extra:

I think it's finally dawned on me how close we are to exam season. I've made the comparison between how much I was working this time last year and how much I'm working at the moment and I've decided to give my phone away to my parents apart from during the day when I get to and from school and if I ever go out. Hopefully this will help me focus more. Hopefully :tongue:
Week 3: Incomplete

Despite me not having done all my work, I do believe I worked hard but like previously mentioned, I think I'm assigning myself too much work to begin with. I thought I would do daily blog updates so I know exactly how much work I will do that day, but that would require me to remember to blog every day which would probably not be the best idea seeing as today's entry is already a day late (hooray to the worst memory anyone could have).

Week 4:

Hopefully, fingers crossed I'll be able to get through this weeks work. For biology, I want to finish off Nucleic acids (spent way too much time on biology last week despite having only gone through Biological molecules and the beginning of nucleic acids). For maths, I want to do the first few chapters of Statistics seeing as that's my current weak point, for German I just want to read my Zeitgeist book and for chemistry I want to start and finish Bonding.

Extra:

I can only ever really function on 8 hours of sleep (no more, no less) and I've been practically doing the polar opposite since I've started revising i.e. either getting way to much sleep (usually on weekends when I can finally sleep in) or barely getting any sleep (during the weekdays when I feel like a zombie all day every day). I'm trying to get my sleeping pattern back on track as well as my diet (I go a bit crazy with junk food when I'm revising) to feel fit, healthy and happy so I can be positive and feel good whilst I'm revising.
I feel really bad for not having updated last week, I've decided to do daily updates and not weekly ones. I think it would give me a more realistic goal for me to try and say what I'm doing daily. I've been doing revision for the entire day today (quite proud of myself, didn't let me phone become a huge distraction) and I'm convinced my school is the only one that's still making students come this week.
Today I did 6 hours of just pure German grammar (I'm really proud of myself for this, I love the library environment it's so quite and calming and I almost feel pressurised to revise which is what I need) and hopefully before I go to bed I'd like to do a few more pages of my German grammar book.
I've finished school this week which means I'm available to be doing daily posts.

Saturday 2nd April:
I'm going to do around 40 minutes of making notes for biology from 11:00-11:40 then I'll take a 10 minute break. Then from 11:50-12:30 I'll be making notes for chemistry and then take another 10 minute break. Then from 12:40 until 13:20 I'll be working on my German grammar. I'll take another 10 minute break followed by me doing an entire maths past paper and marking it then going back to my C1 book to consolidate my knowledge on whatever I get wrong. This might take me up to 2 and a half hours so I'll take a 10 minute break and start revising biology again from 16:10 until 16:50. (It gets a bit repetitive here) then another 10 minute break and then I'll start chemistry again from 17:00 until 17:40. Then I'll take a 10 minute break and revise German again from 17:50 until 18:30 and then I'll do one more past paper after taking a break and hopefully finish at around 21:00-ish. That should leave me with enough time to probably watch a movie and relax for a bit. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending