The Student Room Group

hardest a-level

Scroll to see replies

History!!
Original post by SCalver
From personal experience I'd say FP1-4, M5 S5

FP1-3 on Edexcel is the same as FP1-4 on AQA or whatever spec your doing.

Yeah okay fine

FP1-3, M4/M5/S5 then.
Chemistry.
However, it seems to be getting easier atm with me practising past papers.

a2 biology is also impossible with the application questions.
I think there's becoming a great deal of confusion in this thread between difficulty and time required for coursework or learning the content. Just because something is hard doesn't mean it has a lot of content nor does something take up a lot of time eg. art or photography coursework mean its academically rigourous.

Arguably the skills learnt in essay subjects are 'common' throughout the course and could equally be applied to similar topics or texts, there's no thing as such in essay as not understanding the subject matter but it is rather a matter in knowing the topic and an ability to apply one's skills in writing essays and interpreting something. This is apposed to say maths were it's difficulty is in fact linear i.e. its difficulty continually progresses even to the highest research level but despite for a given topic the amount of content being finite(at least to the very best of our understanding at the time). This could be contrasted to a subject like a classical language were there's a definite limit to the difficulty of the language and whilst the interpretation of texts may become broader and more abstract this in it self doesn't make the subject matter harder, but rather adds to the volume of content.
(edited 8 years ago)
I think Art or further maths. In general you need to have some sort of talent in order to do well in them.
Whilst I think I have more of a natural talent for Art than say maths, the reason why I didn't pick Art was purely because of how difficult the workload would be for me. I am quite the perfectionist when it comes to drawing or painting.
I will spend literally the entire day making sure a piece is perfect like in Art GCSE.

I'd rather have 6 maths exams than pick Art for a level.
Getting an A* in further maths is hard if you don't have some sort of mathematical ability, and getting an A* in Art is just as bad if you can't draw. They are both just as bad as each other, it all depends on the person.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Student403
None of hers, or none at all?
None at all. It's work for school kids when all is said and done and it shows.
Original post by fishyfishy1999
None at all. It's work for school kids when all is said and done and it shows.

Right. And you've taken all A levels, have you? That makes you qualified to make that claim?
Original post by Student403
Right. And you've taken all A levels, have you? That makes you qualified to make that claim?

I am taking them. They are very easy and from what I have seen of the specifications of others I am not taking they would be too. I am doing three of them (started at the beginning of January) and sitting them AS and A2 this summer to go to university in the autumn.

As I said, it is work for school kids and that shows.
I am taking them. They are very easy and from what I have seen of the specifications of others I am not taking they would be too. I am doing three of them (started at the beginning of January) and sitting them AS and A2 this summer to go to university in the autumn.

Why do you keep creating new accounts?

Which 3 are you doing?
According to my friends, Physics sounds hard. It all really depends on the exam board.

From my perspective, I'd say ICT (WJEC). Only reason I say this is because you need to get every definition word for word and pretty much copy and paste the textbook... :/

When I say word for word I mean literally... if you miss a word from a definition or dare use your own examples, you will gain nil pwa.
Reply 171
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
Hardest A level would be Further Maths IF you take the latter mechanics modules.

For example: A level Maths (C1-4, M1-2)
A level Further Maths (FP1-3, M3-5) <--- Hardest A level without a shadow of a doubt!

Would you agree?

yes
Original post by RonnieRJ

Whatever girl you do you but really... Most people could get a decent grade in photography with little skill and interest

BUt you don't know that. It's not just going to be point and shoot #selfie #instashot #followforfollow

The same way Maths isn't just 1+1
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
BUt you don't know that. It's not just going to be point and shoot #selfie #instashot #followforfollow

The same way Maths isn't just 1+1

Nice analogy
Original post by Oblivion99
Whats bad about it? Which topics?

All of it ahah, mostly mechanisms of nucleophiles etc, but also there's lots of hard concepts you need to understand
To be honest, I don't think there is an objectively hardest A level. Some people find maths A level piss easy, other people would never be able to pass it. It's just about what you're good at it.
Original post by PQ
Why do you keep creating new accounts?

Never been on this site in my life until a few days ago. Only been back in the UK since Christmas. I'd never heard of this site before.

You are a bit paranoid aren't you? I see your posts going around like a mother hen on here. A little too wrapped up in this for someone on the other side of 30.
(edited 8 years ago)
Chemistry and latin are ridiculously hard :frown:
Original post by Astrtricks
I think there's becoming a great deal of confusion in this thread between difficulty and time required for coursework or learning the content. Just because something is hard doesn't mean it has a lot of content nor does something take up a lot of time eg. art or photography coursework mean its academically rigourous.

Arguably the skills learnt in essay subjects are 'common' throughout the course and could equally be applied to similar topics or texts, there's no thing as such in essay as not understanding the subject matter but it is rather a matter in knowing the topic and an ability to apply one's skills in writing essays and interpreting something. This is apposed to say maths were it's difficulty is in fact linear i.e. its difficulty continually progresses even to the highest research level but despite for a given topic the amount of content being finite(at least to the very best of our understanding at the time). This could be contrasted to a subject like a classical language were there's a definite limit to the difficulty of the language and whilst the interpretation of texts may become broader and more abstract this in it self doesn't make the subject matter harder, but rather adds to the volume of content.

I like your argument however I would 'disagree' with you on a few points. I do think it's possible for someone to not understand the subject in an essay subject - it's possible for someone to miss 'the point', hold fallacies about the subject, ill define the subject and therefore go severely off topic, and poorly argue their points in such a way as to make false statements which might even contradict or over simplify the subject matter. If one is good at interpretation and argumentation however it is often possible to write something that is coherent and poignant without much knowledge of the topic.

Also, is that idea that mathematical knowledge is finite a healthy assumption? I'm not a mathematician but I would have thought it more fruitful to assume the opposite. Math is a language, no? - or, even, more like 'language', grammar that is - so perhaps anything could be said about anything. And the universe having no edge, that's a lot of things...

In classics there is still a huge amount of research to be done relating to the reconstitution of texts - without which information the number of interpretations possible is very open. There are even entire languages yet to be decodified. So although the information on the subject is finite, there is still great call for the ongoing application of logic.
(edited 8 years ago)
Physics is hard but my teacher was awful, computing must be the most underrated, further maths is bloody hard and maths is the most overrated

Quick Reply

Latest