The Student Room Group

Is Uni of Southampton a good university?

Hey,

I've got an interview for Southampton for their Linguistics course, I've already received offers from Newcastle and Lancaster and while I do really like Southampton as one of my best mates goes there I'm just wondering whether it's that much better then the other two to justify travelling across the country?

To clarify I do really like Southampton and could firm it if given an offer, but I just want to go to the best uni possible as I've narrowed it down to those three.

Advice?
Original post by JordanC55
Hey,

I've got an interview for Southampton for their Linguistics course, I've already received offers from Newcastle and Lancaster and while I do really like Southampton as one of my best mates goes there I'm just wondering whether it's that much better then the other two to justify travelling across the country?

To clarify I do really like Southampton and could firm it if given an offer, but I just want to go to the best uni possible as I've narrowed it down to those three.

Advice?

number 3 in the uk so yeah it's not bad
Reply 2
Original post by jonathanemptage
number 3 in the uk so yeah it's not bad

Southampton is number 3?!
Reply 3

Ranking tables vary, but all three are top ten for linguistics on this one:
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=linguistics

I don't think you have a duff uni on your shortlist, so I'd go for the one which a) has the course content/modules/assessment methods which appeal most, and b) the place you think you'd be most comfortable.

By the second criteria it sounds like Southampton is a logical choice, but double-check the module content on their website, just to be certain that it's right for you. Don't get too tangled up with the detail of ranking places - top ten is a good indicator and is probably as meaningful a measure as you need. Lancaster is a bit higher up than Southampton on the table I linked to, but that doesn't mean it will be a better fit for you.
(edited 8 years ago)

last time I checked although tbf it was about a year ago
Reply 5
Original post by Klix88
Ranking tables vary, but all three are top ten for linguistics on this one:
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=linguistics

I don't think you have a duff uni on your shortlist, so I'd go for the one which a) has the course content/modules/assessment methods which appeal most, and b) the place you think you'd be most comfortable.

By the second criteria it sounds like Southampton is a logical choice, but double-check the module content on their website, just to be certain that it's right for you. Don't get too tangled up with the detail of ranking places - top ten is a good indicator and is probably as meaningful a measure as you need. Lancaster is a bit higher up than Southampton on the table I linked to, but that doesn't mean it will be a better fit for you.

The fact that you don't think there's a duff is reassuring, makes it less scary. Modules wise they're all pretty sound, Lancaster I can do forensic linguistics which is amazing, Newcastle I have to learn a language which isn't bad as it'll just force me to improve my German and Southampton I can do psychology modules. They've all got their pros, it's so annoying. I probably prefer the modules and Newc and Soton but Lancaster is ranked so highly across the board.

You can do a year abroad at all of them, in Newcastle you do a term abroad so it means you graduate in 3 years still which is pretty appealing.

I dunno the whole thing is overwhelming, but, potentially going down to Southampton for an interview which I can't afford isn't the best 😭
The fact that you don't think there's a duff is reassuring, makes it less scary. Modules wise they're all pretty sound, Lancaster I can do forensic linguistics which is amazing, Newcastle I have to learn a language which isn't bad as it'll just force me to improve my German and Southampton I can do psychology modules. They've all got their pros, it's so annoying. I probably prefer the modules and Newc and Soton but Lancaster is ranked so highly across the board.

You can do a year abroad at all of them, in Newcastle you do a term abroad so it means you graduate in 3 years still which is pretty appealing.

I dunno the whole thing is overwhelming, but, potentially going down to Southampton for an interview which I can't afford isn't the best 😭

Have you told them that the cost of travel is preventing you from attending an interview? Some universities will have funds to cover travel to interview for applicants from a long way away. Alternatively they might be able to reschedule to a later date so that you can arrange cheaper travel (or see if your friend can lend you somewhere to sleep over to avoid travelling at peak times). Where in the country are you travelling from? Cross Country do hourly direct trains from Manchester to Soton and every other hour there are trains to York/Newcastle/Edinburgh and their advance fares are usually pretty cheap (especially with a railcard). Flybe flights into soton airport can be really cheap too (although they only did the journey I needed for a year it used to work out £40 each way which was much cheaper than the train and a lot quicker).

I'd definitely recommend making the effort for a trip - if you hate it then your decision about where to go will be a lot easier (and if you love it but hate the journey then likewise).
Reply 7
Original post by PQ
Have you told them that the cost of travel is preventing you from attending an interview? Some universities will have funds to cover travel to interview for applicants from a long way away. Alternatively they might be able to reschedule to a later date so that you can arrange cheaper travel (or see if your friend can lend you somewhere to sleep over to avoid travelling at peak times). Where in the country are you travelling from? Cross Country do hourly direct trains from Manchester to Soton and every other hour there are trains to York/Newcastle/Edinburgh and their advance fares are usually pretty cheap (especially with a railcard). Flybe flights into soton airport can be really cheap too (although they only did the journey I needed for a year it used to work out £40 each way which was much cheaper than the train and a lot quicker).

I'd definitely recommend making the effort for a trip - if you hate it then your decision about where to go will be a lot easier (and if you love it but hate the journey then likewise).

Hey, thank you for your reply!

I'm gonna definitely give them a call and see if I can reschedule, they only gave me a weeks notice for it (I did apply late tho)

I live in Darlington, my pal goes to uni there and he usually takes the fly be option, like you said it's a lot easier - I've down it myself and it's good! You're also right it'll cost about 80 quid return, megabus will be 40 return but it's 12 or so hours which will be horrific. Train is also an option, I haven't looked at the price tho.

Hopefully if I ring and they're able to help it'd be good cause I really would like to get the chance too make an informed decision like you say.
Yes definitely!! Sometimes it also depends on the course u r applying for - check out the rankings.
All 3 are good choices but I would say go to Southampton it has A nice campaus lots of socs from chess to Flying there are plenty of clubs and bars in town and I beleave that the SU even has a night club in it so yeah go there I have a mate that orbs there too.

Quick Reply

Latest